Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (61 Viewers)

Have to disagree here because of the negative effect they have for people who use chips for their intended purpose.

Negatives:
- makes it harder to complete sets
- drives prices up
- very likely the chips get sold for pennies at a garage sale when they die (and don't get back to the people who will use them)

Positives:
- scratches some wierd hoarding itch??
- they have the most chips, so they win??

I also feel the same way about people who collect super-oversized sets. You don't need a 5k chip tournament set for 2 tables. I do realize some people need massive sets to play many tables and am all good with that.
They complete their sets for their enjoyment. Your set needs shouldn’t trump their enjoyment. Just because you got the chips first, only you and those with them may acquire them? Someone don’t get to play poker as much as others and just like chips! It’s nostalgic possibly for vegas trips or fun splashy games they no longer can play.

That dead horse isn’t controversial imo.

Some peeps on one side, others on the other side, and a bunch in the middle. And noones really changing anyone’s mind.

I’ll add this wrinkle though - I feel bad selling chips to black holes. When I list chips for a great price - sucks when flippers take em, worse when the collectors buy em.

I can’t be mean and say no though. But if we could - would any of us sell to them? They have things that could regularly help people finish sets and make things playable but dont - yet they scoop up great buys to be locked away forever.

Again im not saying anyone’s right or wrong, and I sell to everyone, but I could def see why they would be dead last to sell to for a lot of people.
See it is controversial lol. If someone is a hoarder and that’s what they enjoy so be it!

They complete their sets for their enjoyment. Your set needs shouldn’t trump their enjoyment. Just because you got the chips first, only you and those with them may acquire them? Someone don’t get to play poker as much as others and just like chips! It’s nostalgic possibly for vegas trips or fun splashy games they no longer can play.
It's weird. :)

I dunno, prioritizing poker chips for those who play poker with them makes sense to me.

Full disclosure, if I win the lotto tomorrow I am buying ALL the chips. I will however die trying to get them all in play.

See it is controversial lol. If someone is a hoarder and that’s what they enjoy so be it!
no doubt. I was going to write “I just wish I could choose to not sell to them without backlash” and realized holy shit a lot of people do that. It’s just another nail in the coffin causing everyone to sell the good stuff well priced privately.

So like sure go enjoy it, but let’s not pretend they don’t have an almost exclusively negative impact on the movement of chips.

Full disclosure, if I win the lotto tomorrow I am buying ALL the chips. I will however die trying to get them all in play.

You'll hold two MTT free-roll tourneys per day, right? Three on weekends? Felt the chips and win Grant's money?

That dead horse isn’t controversial imo.

Some peeps on one side, others on the other side, and a bunch in the middle. And noones really changing anyone’s mind.

I’ll add this wrinkle though - I feel bad selling chips to black holes. When I list chips for a great price - sucks when flippers take em, worse when the collectors buy em.

I can’t be mean and say no though. But if we could - would any of us sell to them? They have things that could regularly help people finish sets and make things playable but dont - yet they scoop up great buys to be locked away forever.

Again im not saying anyone’s right or wrong, and I sell to everyone, but I could def see why they would be dead last to sell to for a lot of people.
Does it make it any less of a black hole if they're felting them? Hypothetically, let's say they're still not helping other people finish playable sets, still buying up the good deals and not releasing them, but each set gets felted once every year or two at least. Does that make it better? Or does it still feel bad to send them that direction?

Genuinely curious. I can see how it might feel better even if it's just taking a stranger on the internet's word for it.

How long after you're unable to host any more do you need to send your chips on before you become that which you despised? (hyperbole for comedic effect/the quote, despised seems a bit harsh).

I really have no skin in this, I genuinely don't mind what folks do with their chips, but I guess I enjoy figuring out where the line is and why. It's an interesting discussion.

Does it make it any less of a black hole if they're felting them? Hypothetically, let's say they're still not helping other people finish playable sets, still buying up the good deals and not releasing them, but each set gets felted once every year or two at least. Does that make it better? Or does it still feel bad to send them that direction?
Sure. I consider a "black hole" to be the collectors who actively buy, never sell, don't interact much on forum, and you don't ever see the chips again - pr0n, felted, etc.
How long after you're unable to host any more do you need to send your chips on before you become that which you despised? (hyperbole for comedic effect/the quote, despised seems a bit harsh).
Idk honestly. Like I said, I've came to a point where I don't demonize anyone, and idc what people do with sh*t they own, including clay disks. I mean preferably don't pelt small children with them, but whatevs.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people having chips in hopes of hosting. But if what we really mean is someone owns 200 sets, hasn't hosted in 20 years, and has no real chance at hosting in the next 20 - why can't you sell me that f*cking rack so I can finish and use my damn set? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

And like I've said before, I don't believe any chippers anyways. I don't hold any of this sh*t against anyone, some of the people I most enjoy on here or consider friends would fall into various buckets or don't follow through on what they say online. It's all good, we're just trading poker chips. For me personally? I stand by what I say. I don't own a ton of chips, only about 5 sets. But I can't host so guess what, those chips aren't here except for Paris set. And if someone I liked and trusted needed a limit $2 set, they'd be in the mail free of charge tomorrow.

Incoming controversial chip opinion:

People that don't host and won't host, shouldn't have double booyah or higher breakdowns.

There's people that felt their chips, there's those that know they won't ever really felt their chips and are basically "collectors". Then....there's this in between. Folks that do play poker, but they won't ever host, but they enjoy chipping/collecting, and have massive sets. Unpopular opinion - they don't need more than 300 $5s max for these plentiful yet rare sets.

This isn't pointed at any one specific person, y'all know who you are. By the way, I fit into this category myself :eek:
Agree. Get those higher denoms into play.

Even for a 0.25/0.50 $100 buy in game where stacks evaporate in the blink of an eye, and routinely see bets on third or fourth street above $20 or $25, there's no need for barrels and barrels of $5's.

Only reason more than 2 or 3 racks of $5's are needed is if you're planning on running more than one table and one bank with the same chip set.

Welcome to the free market. Chips are a want, n
Have to disagree here because of the negative effect they have for people who use chips for their intended purpose.

Negatives:
- makes it harder to complete sets
- drives prices up
- very likely the chips get sold for pennies at a garage sale when they die (and don't get back to the people who will use them)

Positives:
- scratches some wierd hoarding itch??
- they have the most chips, so they win??

I also feel the same way about people who collect super-oversized sets. You don't need a 5k chip tournament set for 2 tables. I do realize some people need massive sets to play many tables and am all good with that.
its a free market. Chips are a want, not a need. They go to whoever wants them the most, as measured by the $$$ offered and accepted. Krish accumulated an immense collection of unobtainable sets by offering 10x what chips were previously selling for. In some cases more. If you really want something, offer more and see what happens. No set is priceless. People wont part with scarce things casually.

If someone isn't parting with a rack at a price offered, that means they value it more than you. The underlying reasons are irrelevant.

Welcome to the free market. Chips are a want, n

its a free market. Chips are a want, not a need. They go to whoever wants them the most, as measured by the $$$ offered and accepted. Krish accumulated an immense collection of unobtainable sets by offering 10x what chips were previously selling for. In some cases more. If you really want something, offer more and see what happens. No set is priceless. People wont part with scarce things casually.

If someone isn't parting with a rack at a price offered, that means they value it more than you. The underlying reasons are irrelevant.
Totally agree. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Even for a 0.25/0.50 $100 buy in game where stacks evaporate in the blink of an eye, and routinely see bets on third or fourth street above $20 or $25, there's no need for barrels and barrels of $5's.

Only reason more than 2 or 3 racks of $5's are needed is if you're planning on running more than one table and one bank with the same chip set.
I can't argue with this. I happen to go with 320 $5s in my .25/.50 sets (mostly because I've kept them in the same case, which has rows of 80.) But I will say that if I moved up to $1/1, $1/2, or $1/3, I'd probably want 5 or 6 racks.

Preferring flippers to hoarders is wild to me. IIRC, some of the most beloved members are hoarders.
I don't like flippers. But Most times I've sold racks or sets, it's been with the vague hope that we'd meet again someday. If those chips end up in the collection of some hoarder who never sells, that's not going to happen. That doesn't mean I dislike them as a PCFer or as a person. But I can see the sentiment.

New York Yankees Thumbs Down GIF by MLB

Here’s a hypothetical - someone has 20 sets and hosts twice a year. It takes him 10 years to go through his rotation once. Is he a hoarder?

I buy chips and I felt them 2-3 time per year, but I have slight OCD where I like to fill up the full rack thus majority of my sets end up with break down like

1729216944725.png

or this

1729216985543.png

I never used up to $100+ chips if I am playing 25/50c or below and only used a few up to a barrel of $100 in most game if I playing 1/1 to 2/2

So am i still a hoarder, since I rarely used my high denomination.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom