Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (24 Viewers)

A 200,000 chip set sale from Jim isn’t necessarily a mass amount of chips. Rare is grossly misstated in the poker hobby world from singles to sets.

Someone finds a rack of a chip somehow it’s not rare anymore?

Or how about some really great sets like JD and PCA. From my understanding there was 180-250K of them each respectively and both very well received.

Assume 20% are $5s = 40,000 $5 chips (most universal workhorse)

Assume 10 collectors build out two table sets
10 x 1000 $5s = 5,000 gone

40 people build average sets
40 x 400 $5s = 16,000 gone

That’s half the inventory. Some get lost in the shuffle, some get inserted into mixed sets, whatever, just double the above.

100 people have a JD/PCA set nationwide.

That doesn’t seem like a lot of people to me…
I'm definitely ignorant on this topic, but my question would be what isn't rare then?

I think that 100 people having a set is quite a bit. I mean sure that's nationwide, it's also globally and universally. "Only 100 people in the universe have XYZ set!" sounds good.

But you could also narrow that down and say 100 PCFers have it. Which makes it sound not nearly as rare. Because honestly, how many non PCFers are going to have sets of JD, PCA, whatever chips.

I only have 200x $5s in my PCA set. Am I even a chipper? :whistle: :whistling:
200.gif

My guesses, just for fun. I am probably off.

PCF has 14.1k members. My guess is 90% of these accounts no longer post here regularly = 1410 active PCFers. Sounds about right since there are 980 active users in the last 24h and 1100 online now.

Many of these 1410 are Tina chips or one or two sets and done, or already in/nearing chipping retirement. I approximate that as 90%, So 141 people left.

Like @LeLe wrote, half of these 141 are flippers or flippers trying to disguise themselves by posting other content, so you’ve got ~70 people left. I think maybe only 33% (23 people) of these want significantly more than a “standard” 100/200/200-300/80-100/20-100 breakdown. This actually also jives with @BarrieJ3 ’s estimate that there are approximately 20+ people willing to pay premium prices for chips. These people likely reside in the same cohort that wants a booyah, double or triple booyah quantity of $5s.

Actually, it’s hard to be certain, but with chipping prices in decline, some flippers have left the market or are in hibernation. Perhaps only only 30-40% flippers now.

PCF has 14.1k members. My guess is 90% of these accounts no longer post here regularly = 1410 active PCFers. Sounds about right since there are 980 active users in the last 24h and 1100 online now.

Many of these 1410 are Tina chips or one or two sets and done, or already in/nearing chipping retirement. I approximate that as 90%, So 141 people left.

Like @LeLe wrote, half of these 141 are flippers or flippers trying to disguise themselves by posting other content, so you’ve got ~70 people left. I think maybe only 33% (23 people) of these want significantly more than a “standard” 100/200/200-300/80-100/20-100 breakdown. This actually also jives with @BarrieJ3 ’s estimate that there are approximately 20+ people willing to pay premium prices for chips. These people likely reside in the same cohort that wants a double or triple booyah quantity of $5s.

Actually, it’s hard to be certain, but with chipping prices in decline, some flippers have left the market or are in hibernation. Perhaps only only 30-40% flippers now.
Out of curiosity, how many $5s would it take to gain quadruple booyah status?

Out of curiosity, how many $5s would it take to gain quadruple booyah status?

It’s madness I tell you!! But with this progression, 12! Final answer!

Updated 10.10.24 Booyah Rankings

6 racks of $5 = BOOYAH
8 racks of $5 = DOUBLE BOOYAH
10 racks of $5 = TRIPPE BOOYAH

1,000 chips = BOOYAH
1,500 chips = DOUBLE BOOYAH
2,000 chips+ = TRIPLE BOOYAH

Like @LeLe wrote, half of these 141 are flippers or flippers trying to disguise themselves by posting other content, so you’ve got ~70 people left. I think maybe only 33% (23 people) of these want significantly more than a “standard” 100/200/200-300/80-100/20-100 breakdown. This actually also jives with @BarrieJ3 ’s estimate that there are approximately 20+ people willing to pay premium prices for chips. These people likely reside in the same cohort that wants a booyah, double or triple booyah quantity of $5s.

I want to know what the name is for those of us who routinely flip things for a loss. @joeyshin may have coined the term floppers? I’m a proud flopper.

Incoming controversial chip opinion:

People that don't host and won't host, shouldn't have double booyah or higher breakdowns.

There's people that felt their chips, there's those that know they won't ever really felt their chips and are basically "collectors". Then....there's this in between. Folks that do play poker, but they won't ever host, but they enjoy chipping/collecting, and have massive sets. Unpopular opinion - they don't need more than 300 $5s max for these plentiful yet rare sets.

This isn't pointed at any one specific person, y'all know who you are. By the way, I fit into this category myself :eek:

I want to know what the name is for those of us who routinely flip things for a loss. @joeyshin may have coined the term floppers? I’m a proud flopper.

Floppers is probably best :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

But to be more accurate, it might just be unlucky (bought 1-3 years ago; Edit: checks @Jacks join date :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ) or kind/generous (not looking to profit every step of your life).

And as I thought about it, I just realized that the total number of times I've felted my on chips is well under 10. I'm pretty sure the only times I've felted my own chips was:

1 - CPS tourney set for neighborhood home game 2018
2 - Roadhouse tourney set for neighborhood game 2019
3- the initial first release of Tigers home game
4- my limit set for my meetup on the morning after the last day
5 - my limit set for my next meetup on the morning after the last day.

So I can think of 5, there may be one or two other times. But I've definitely felted my own chips less than 10 times in 6 years.

Edit: I think this was originally my reasoning for trying to get into the bigger ticket items for chipping. Playing locally, I realized that I was never going to be able to felt a chip set even at my own house with what all the locals have.

Funnily enough after the fact, I no longer care/cared. I played poker well under 15 times last year, this year I *might* reach 4 or 5 (not including vegas). Poker is my only time year round to be an idiot, to have 0 responsibility, to partake in childlike behavior, etc. Why the hell would I want to run a bank during that rare time?!

Last edited:
Controversial for a reason. Wether it’s JD or PCA etc I think only 100 sets out there isn’t that many!

100 sets isn't a crap ton, but it's still a substantial amount of chips (assuming 600-1000 in an average set). In a collectible market, that could be considered a lot.

What if you had a set where there are only 2, maybe 3 available on the secondary market? My Grouse Mountain set fits in there.

For the BJS2 Big Easys, there are probably no more than 24 known sets in private hands.

And as I thought about it, I just realized that the total number of times I've felted my on chips is well under 10. I'm pretty sure the only times I've felted my own chips was:

1 - CPS tourney set for neighborhood home game 2018
2 - Roadhouse tourney set for neighborhood game 2019
3- the initial first release of Tigers home game
4- my limit set for my meetup on the morning after the last day
5 - my limit set for my next meetup on the morning after the last day.

So I can think of 5, there may be one or two other times. But I've definitely felted my own chips less than 10 times in 6 years.

Edit: I think this was originally my reasoning for trying to get into the bigger ticket items for chipping. Playing locally, I realized that I was never going to be able to felt a chip set even at my own house with what all the locals have.

Funnily enough after the fact, I no longer care/cared. I played poker well under 15 times last year, this year I *might* reach 4 or 5 (not including vegas). Poker is my only time year round to be an idiot, to have 0 responsibility, to partake in childlike behavior, etc. Why the hell would I want to run a bank during that rare time?!
1728674286488.gif

Sure flippers annoy me, but I don’t mind if someone collects chips and doesn’t felt them. If they truly enjoy the acquisition, finding, spectating of chipping…I get it.

Often people build set after set in hopes of hosting, but it’s not necessarily easy to field poker games, but they love chips and chippin’.

Let them be!

Now, I certainly believe I have gotten a few offers or trades bc members here know I host and felt chips…and of course felting them is better then sitting on a shelf for admiration m, but I don’t fault those collectors if that’s their passion.

Sure flippers annoy me, but I don’t mind if someone collects chips and doesn’t felt them. If they truly enjoy the acquisition, finding, spectating of chipping…I get it.

Often people build set after set in hopes of hosting, but it’s not necessarily easy to field poker games, but they love chips and chippin’.

Let them be!
Have to disagree here because of the negative effect they have for people who use chips for their intended purpose.

Negatives:
- makes it harder to complete sets
- drives prices up
- very likely the chips get sold for pennies at a garage sale when they die (and don't get back to the people who will use them)

Positives:
- scratches some wierd hoarding itch??
- they have the most chips, so they win??

I also feel the same way about people who collect super-oversized sets. You don't need a 5k chip tournament set for 2 tables. I do realize some people need massive sets to play many tables and am all good with that.

I think the more interesting part of the rarity discussion isn’t the large lots like what Jim brings, it’s the semi-available singles that are really hard to judge. I know this is an age old topic but how many racks could be stitched together if you had WW money and just bought every TRK single on here, spinettis, eBay, and at the convention. If you undid the work of sample and single collectors and reunited sets how many cool unique sets there. Folks on here have built beautiful things one chip at a time and I’m sure there’s enough quantity out there to make many more but especially with shipping costs on eBay it can be so expensive.

I’ve been thinking about taking on projects like that but one of the tough things is to know what’s possible and what’s just too rare. I don’t have the time in the hobby to have that sense and it is hard to know. That’s an interesting rarity question. Look at the THC Moneg Tree ones on eBay. There’s tons of em! How easy is a rack if money isn’t an issue?

Let them be!

Now, I certainly believe I have gotten a few offers or trades bc members here know I host and felt chips…and of course felting them is better then sitting on a shelf for admiration m, but I don’t fault those collectors if that’s their passion.
Have to disagree here because of the negative effect they have for people who use chips for their intended purpose.

Negatives:
- makes it harder to complete sets
- drives prices up
- very likely the chips get sold for pennies at a garage sale when they die (and don't get back to the people who will use them)

Positives:
- scratches some wierd hoarding itch??
- they have the most chips, so they win??

I also feel the same way about people who collect super-oversized sets. You don't need a 5k chip tournament set for 2 tables. I do realize some people need massive sets to play many tables and am all good with that.

I personally try not to spend too much time obsessing about what other people do with their possessions.

I couldn't see buying chips myself I never plan to use, but I'm already buying more than I could conceivably -need-. If you wanna spend the money on chips to put on a shelf then go on with your bad self, enjoy them your own way.

I personally try not to spend too much time obsessing about what other people do with their possessions.

I couldn't see buying chips myself I never plan to use, but I'm already buying more than I could conceivably -need-. If you wanna spend the money on chips to put on a shelf then go on with your bad self, enjoy them your own way.
Yeah. Whilst I may not get it personally (I play every set I purchase), it doesn't mean the pure collectors are necessarily doing it "wrong" imo.

That dead horse isn’t controversial imo.

Some peeps on one side, others on the other side, and a bunch in the middle. And noones really changing anyone’s mind.

I’ll add this wrinkle though - I feel bad selling chips to black holes. When I list chips for a great price - sucks when flippers take em, worse when the collectors buy em.

I can’t be mean and say no though. But if we could - would any of us sell to them? They have things that could regularly help people finish sets and make things playable but dont - yet they scoop up great buys to be locked away forever.

Again im not saying anyone’s right or wrong, and I sell to everyone, but I could def see why they would be dead last to sell to for a lot of people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom