Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (23 Viewers)

House molds are okay and I don’t think that’s controversial.

I see a few mini rants on the new chip room thread, about how so many PCFers claim to hate house molds. I have a couple of thoughts, but I don’t want to clog up TCR’s thread.

House molds have always gotten less love here, but that doesn’t mean that people actually think they suck. They don’t fit comfortably into mixed sets, and on a related note, people are less likely to buy them to relabel them. So they go unsold, or sell for less. Doesn’t mean they suck, it might just mean that people don’t know what to do with them.

Newbs are probably influenced by that. They see them going unsold, so they follow the crowd. THC is goat, RHC is next best thing, so housemolds must suck. They might even be naive enough to post that. I’m pretty sure I did. But as they gain experience and expand their horizons, there’s probably quite a few chippers who used to think that housemoods suck, who now embrace them.

And of course, some of them do suck. There are some very cool house molds and there are some very bad ones. Like anything else, it’s personal preference. My preference is for molds with a protective outer ring, and if not, at least broad shoulders. If a housemold doesn’t have either of those (think RHC) I’m probably gonna hate it no matter what they’ve carved into it. Doesn’t mean I hate all house molds.

love housemolds. Dependent on the day, more or less than rhc and thc.

Have always loved hotstamps, I remember a time when there was very little public appreciation for them. But undoubtedly housemolds won’t follow the same path, I think they’re pretty entrenched in thier middle of the road placement.

Everyone give me your Silverton $1s please and thank you!

(Doesn’t get better than a housemolds hotstamp!!!!)

IMG_0105.jpeg

Is the THC ring protective or just not stupidly placed super close to the edge like the tops of RHC hats?
It’s been referred to here on PCF as a protective outer ring. I’m not sure if that’s its actual intention, but I would guess the majority of chippers prefer the appearance of a chip with an outer ring.

The outer ring does also help with protecting from wear, but yes, generally seems aesthetically preferred
Curious to know more about how a ring imprint provides protection.
Imagine if that protective ring was placed too close to the edge.
Imagine if the ring wasn’t there at all, would THC experience flea bites similar to RHC? No.
I feel like the only issue with RHC is that the hats are just too close to the edge of the chip.
Do people think IHC or fat hats are not “protected”?
But I get it, people call it “protective”.
Controversial opinion thread??

It's not the ring that provides protection, it's the amount of space between the edge and a recess.

CSQ is a good example. It has a thin ring and they're more prone to flea bites than HHR/Jockey/molds with more space between the ring and recess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom