Home game tipping (2 Viewers)

Removing money from the table to tip the dealer = collective way of going south? I'd rather pay a fee of sorts (either pre or post play) instead of tipping from each hand to be honest.
No, going south is keeping the money to yourself, giving it away isn't going south.

I again would be very surprised if my group went for an hourly or upfront fee. Even though it might save them money, players are funny about anything compulsory like that.

The bomb pot idea might work though.

Since getting Shuffle Techs and moving to a round table we no longer use a dedicated dealer at all. We still get a lot more hands in and the round table makes it easy for everyone to deal.

Since getting Shuffle Techs and moving to a round table we no longer use a dedicated dealer at all. We still get a lot more hands in and the round table makes it easy for everyone to deal.

I used to host without a dealer. I didn’t find that shuffling was a big time waster, since we use two decks. (The quality of the shuffles were another matter.)

The bigger slowdown was the inexpertness of the deals, especially from people in seats where the cards have to travel farther. Lots of flipped cards, cards needing to get pushed along when no one was paying attention, etc. And more errors requiring rulings.

So I could see how a round table could greatly improve a dealerless game. Thing is, I bought a Gorilla superelliptical last year…

I'm not a fan of dealers at home games. If it's a non professional, generally they don't take it seriously and there's more issues/overturned cards/misreads of the board then if we didn't have one at all. I haven't played a home game while having professional dealers, and I'm sure I'd love it, but to me I'm guessing it would take away from the home game feel for me as well as my willingness to chat/joke about the same things we do now in front of a stranger.

I'm an even greater nonfan of tipping dealers at home games - actually tipping at poker in general. I'm someone who tips everywhere - everyone of those stupid little screens, every single time I do takeout, hell I'll just randomly tip people to say thanks in 100% non tip scenarios. Maybe it's my lack of poker historically, but I don't remotely understand why I would tip a dealer when I win. As a thank you? Then why don't we all tip regardless? It just makes 0 sense to me.

On top of all of that, from my personal experiences thus far at others' homes it's just downright awkward. Most times I've seen it, it's been a not great dealer with most people not tipping and the host repeatedly saying "dont forget to tip". Doesn't make for a warm environment and then you're left on hands where you win going....do I need to make up for others not tipping? :vomit:

If I'm hosting and having a dealer - I'll take care of them. Don't worry about it.
The next game I show up where the host has a dealer - Dependent on stakes and how long we're playing, I'm tossing $20/$40/$60/$80 whatever at the start of the game in cash, or out of my stack at the end.

Anything else just seems silly to me. Might as well be handing out chips every time someone wins a hand and then at the end everyone pays $1-3 per win chip that they have.

I'm not a fan of dealers at home games. If it's a non professional, generally they don't take it seriously and there's more issues/overturned cards/misreads of the board then if we didn't have one at all. I haven't played a home game while having professional dealers, and I'm sure I'd love it, but to me I'm guessing it would take away from the home game feel for me as well as my willingness to chat/joke about the same things we do now in front of a stranger.

I'm an even greater nonfan of tipping dealers at home games - actually tipping at poker in general. I'm someone who tips everywhere - everyone of those stupid little screens, every single time I do takeout, hell I'll just randomly tip people to say thanks in 100% non tip scenarios. Maybe it's my lack of poker historically, but I don't remotely understand why I would tip a dealer when I win. As a thank you? Then why don't we all tip regardless? It just makes 0 sense to me.

On top of all of that, from my experiences thus far it's just downright awkward. Most times I've seen it, it's been a not great dealer with most people not tipping and the host repeatedly saying "dont forget to tip". Blech.

If I'm hosting and having a dealer - I'll take care of them. Don't worry about it.
The next game I show up where the host has a dealer - Dependent on stakes and how long we're playing, I'm tossing $20/$40/$60/$80 whatever at the start of the game in cash, or out of my stack at the end.

Anything else just seems silly to me.

People tip because the dealer is providing services they value.

Such as getting more hands in, keeping the action moving, making change, shuffling, helping enforce rules in a politic way, and not making the kinds of errors that amateurs make all the time.

They are working, and it’s a demanding task. I talk with my guy the day after every game to compare notes on anything we need to improve or clamp down on (for example, the inevitable temptation for players to discuss the action inappropriately in multiway hands).

My dealer is very personable (without being annoying as some overly-chatty dealers can be). He’s very much part of the group now. Helps that he also is a game host himself so he knows what kinds of things I deal with as such.

Obviously if a dealer is no good at the job there’s no point to having one.

But I am so glad I made this switch. The games are much more relaxed and fun without players having to worry about the mechanics of the game.

Last edited:
People tip because the dealer is providing a service they value.
I can see that part, but why is it that only winners/winning hands tip out then? That's the strange part to me, that it's not an hourly or whole night type of thing.
People tip because the dealer is providing a service they value.

My dealer is very personable, without being annoying as some overly-chatty dealers can be. He’s very much part of the group.

Obviously if a dealer is no good at the job there’s no point to having one.

But I am so glad I made this switch. The games are much more relaxed and fun without players having to worry about the mechanics of the game.
Everything else, YES. Lol I should note that I'm jumping into a conversation with you and Rhodeman, both of whom I think run more longstanding, mature games. My personal experience hasn't quite been that so that's obviously why I'm a bit put off.

But a dealer that can keep everything flowing while maintaining "one of the guys/girls" relationship I can see being a pretty great boon.

I can see that part, but why is it that only winners/winning hands tip out then?

It’s something which gets spread around over the course of a night, and even moreso over multiple games for regs.

It also helps keep losing players around if tips come somewhat more overall from winners than losers.

P.S. As noted (very briefly) a while back, a few players prefer to do some or most of their tipping at cashout. That’s always an option if any players want to do it that way. Most of mine tip as they win hands, but also round off their cashouts to the nearest $10 or $20 which provides a small end-of-night bump. And makes my change-making a lot easier.

On top of all of that, from my personal experiences thus far at others' homes it's just downright awkward. Most times I've seen it, it's been a not great dealer with most people not tipping and the host repeatedly saying "dont forget to tip". Doesn't make for a warm environment and then you're left on hands where you win going....do I need to make up for others not tipping? :vomit:

Anything else just seems silly to me. Might as well be handing out chips every time someone wins a hand and then at the end everyone pays $1-3 per win chip that they have.
I would not be in favor of hiring/paying a dealer at a home game with one exception: My youngest son took a real interest in my game when he was a young teenager, and he would hang around and watch us play for HOURS at a time. He is a smart kid and a good kid, and everybody likes him. He was paying attention to the games and the rules and asked appropriate questions and at one point I inquired with my group if they would be ok with him dealing for us. There was no objection (likely because it was my house....), and he ended up dealing for our game every other week for tips for almost a year. I cannot recall a single misdeal.

Anyway, he would make roughly $100 a night at a .25/.50 game because he was a kid who did a good job and fit in well, and who doesn't want to tip a kid when he gives you the river card you desperately needed? There were some nights where he made more than that. Not every hand was tipped, but any pot of significance usually earned him something.

My kid doesn't deal for us anymore, as he isn't a kid anymore and he is one of the better players in my group. He built a significant bankroll from his tips, and he has nurtured and grown it since graduating to player. He learned a LOT by being a dealer, mostly about the individual players and their tendencies.

If anyone else in my group had a responsible kid who could perform dealer duties, they would be welcome to deal for us for tips.

Best decision I've ever made as a host/organizer was changing to paid dedicated dealers for tournaments. *

They are paid a flat hourly wage, funded by a dealer fee paid by players at tourney registration. Typically, additional funds for the dealers can also be purchased by buying starting stack bonus chips. Direct tips are not expected, but are certainly appreciated when the tourney finalists at the end of the night pitch an extra $10 or $20 to the dealer out of their winnings.

* Especially since prior to doing so, I was dealing every. frickin. hand.

Dedicated dealers make everything run so much more smoothly and error-free. And it's hard work -- I don't expect them to do it for free.

I again would be very surprised if my group went for an hourly or upfront fee. Even though it might save them money, players are funny about anything compulsory like that.

The bomb pot idea might work though.
That's why I like the back-end fee. Nobody is "losing" money. Winners only win less, felted players play for free, and players that "break even" are only paying for an evening of fun.

This is the bomb.

Either pay the dealers yourself or don't. I don't expect players to pay for my chips, tables, cards, cleaning fees, or even my booze. Hosting is expensive! Eat it or get out! Tournament dealing is basically tip-free. There's @BGinGA's up tournament fee (which is not only acceptable, but common with things like food if served before/during the tournament), so if you need to cover your dealer's expense, take it out post game, when people get their money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom