How much do you make per year ? (anonymous) (3 Viewers)

How much do you make per year ?

• under 20k

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • <30k

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • <40k

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • <50k

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • <60k

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • <75k

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • <100k

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • <150k

Votes: 33 23.2%
  • <200k

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • >200k

Votes: 21 14.8%

• Total voters
Some pearls of wisdom in this thread. I couldn't help thinking of how the anonymity of the internet provides people with the opportunity to represent themselves as who they would like to be, even for a while (their internet selves), and not necessarily who they actually are (their real selves). However, as internet personas interact with others for long periods of time in a forum like this, our real selves eventually take over -- especially at meetups and when buying and selling things here. Just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Some pearls of wisdom in this thread. I couldn't help thinking of how the anonymity of the internet provides people with the opportunity to represent themselves as who they would like to be, even for a while (their internet selves), and not necessarily who they actually are (their real selves). However, as internet personas interact with others for long periods of time in a forum like this, our real selves eventually take over -- especially at meetups and when buying and selling things here. Just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Internet_dog.jpg

I find the dip between 150K and 200K statistically interesting.

It may not really be a dip, it could be an artifact of lumping everything above 200K together. If there were bins for say 200-250, 250-300, 300-350, etc, you might not see what appears to be a dip.

For example, here's the current data in the top chart. If you break up the last bin, it's very likely the data would look more like the chart on the bottom.

chart1.png

chart2.png

Last edited:
Having seen some of the setups in chips, tables, and extras I've seen on PCF, I have to believe the poll is mostly accurate. Like any self-answered survey, the "researcher" needs to take their results with a grain of salt.

But it's still the best way to study this.

It may not really be a dip, it could be an artifact of lumping everything above 200K together. If there were bins for say 200-250, 250-300, 300-350, etc, you might not see what appears to be a dip.

For example, here's the current data in the top chart. If you break up the last bin, it's very likely the data would look more like the chart on the bottom.

View attachment 30491

View attachment 30490

Cogent and well reasoned. I knew there was a reason I got a C in Statistics 101. Which reminds me of my favorite stats cartoon:

correlation.png

For the first few years out of school, my wife and I made identical amounts, down to the penny, as we were hired by the same place into identical positions.
Up until the last couple of years my wife and I made very similar amounts in different industries. In the past couple of years my wife has had very successful years and passed me up. It's great because it all spends the same!

everything in this world is relative ...
Now my income is about $ 4,000-5,000 ... (I do not include revenues from poker here ..)
though here we must note that my wife does not work (small child)
(There were 2-3 times more before the global financial crisis)
but I'm not complaining ... in this country, I am a strong middle class ..:D
but life is cheap in our country ...
even this amount enough that to live without worrying.
This year we bought a large house for the kids and a new car ...
such things as education and medicine are free ...

I am remember the moment when the employer has offered two options:
"1 I am to lay off employees, and preserve original salary .."
"2 I am leave you all, but you get less .."
all voted in favor of the first option ...

Observation: Poll may change, but as of right now I count 55 under 100k, 50 over it. There is no location correlation to the income, so Cost Of Living adjustments can't be considered. I'm not so sure this is representative of the current status in America but I'm not surprised.
It wasn't long after I joined PCF that I realized I was on a blog with some very affluent people. I saw chip prices here for a hell of a lot more than on the old blue wall. The nicer chips, regardless of price, are snapped up in minutes. All I can do is sit back and watch the fun.
Congrats to those in the higher income levels, I only hope to one day join you.

Amen brother. Again. I can thank my wife for that. If it was up to me we'd probably be living in a shack made of paulsons :)

You say that like it's a bad thing... ;)

As a bonus, if you use older (leaded) Paulsons, you'd be covered against radiation fallout in the event of a nuclear detonation. (y) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The cost of construction per square foot would be outrageous!

But clay (adobe) has excellent insulation properties. Living in Michigan, he could recoup the saving in a single winter (which as I recall, starts in October and ends in March).

This report from the US Census Bureau shows that the median income in the US in 2014 (50% higher, 50% lower) was $53,657. It's a fascinating but somewhat depressing report.

Median household income was $53,657 in 2014, not statistically different in real terms from the 2013 median of $54,462 (Figure 1 and Table 1). This is the third consecutive year that the annual change was not statistically significant, following two consecutive years of annual declines in median household income.

A quick search did not lead me to the mean (average) income for 2014, but what I did find suggests that it's significantly higher at around $65-$72K.

South of England is expensive. Whilst wages may be higher, the cost of living is higher. As an example, in the north you'd pay £180k on average for a house, in the south its more than double that. However, the wages are not always double of the north, so it's all relative to where you live.

I'm sure you probably experience similar over there.

We have a 2003 Volvo V70 T5 with 150k miles on it and a 2012 VW Golf TDI with 52k miles on it.

So not quite a pair of Ferraris :LOL: :laugh:

Oh, no.... you just made me realize my chip collection is worth more than one of the cars in my driveway.. :eek:
New poll... Is it time to sell some chips or buy a newer car ;) (the latter may be the case as the car is in the shop today... leaking coolant).

Oh, no.... you just made me realize my chip collection is worth more than one of the cars in my driveway.. :eek:
New poll... Is it time to sell some chips or buy a newer car ;) (the latter may be the case as the car is in the shop today... leaking coolant).

I'm guessing a few of my chips sets are worth more than my 13 year old Volvo ;) I keep waiting for it to die so I can replace it, but I guess it's not ready to give up yet. I'm actually still on the original clutch and turbo :D

you just made me realize my chip collection is worth more than one of the cars in my driveway.. :eek:

Hell, my current collection is worth more than all three of the cars in the driveway.... and at one time, was worth more than my first house cost. o_O

I love chips, oh my god do I love chips, but I am one that will NEVER have more money in chips than I do in cars. Driving and everything about cars and trucks moves my soul, I take no shame in saying that I would play with dice chips the rest of my life if I had to choose between chips and an M5, GTR, or the like. :D

Hell, my current collection is worth more than all three of the cars in the driveway.... and at one time, was worth more than my first house cost. o_O

so you are at "intervention" level then :D I have tried to do my part by buying some of your chips (though it's probably only about 0.2% of your collection)
Again.. please don't tell me you have 3 Ferraris in your driveway ;)

Was showing my boss the pics of the Hitching Post setup and pointed him to this thread and he said "these guys are making more than me, and I own my own business!" :p

My boss is now officially depressed. I told him I'll try to win a Jaguar off one of the whales from this poll when I play at the Shootout @ the Post next month. I'll put up my UConn baseball cap I got for 75% off at a Cracker Barrel in exchange

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom