How much do you make per year ? (anonymous) (4 Viewers)

How much do you make per year ?

• under 20k

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • <30k

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • <40k

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • <50k

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • <60k

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • <75k

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • <100k

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • <150k

Votes: 33 23.2%
  • <200k

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • >200k

Votes: 21 14.8%

• Total voters
Don't take my cynicism as anything more than just that, I'm just mad there's not a category high enough for me. As a small business owner it's all lambos and cristal over here. ;)
I was once a small business owner. Man do I miss those "champagne wishes and caviar dreams" days!! ;)

You have to keep in mind as well that this is the internet when you are looking at the poll. If there is one thing people love to do it's brag and lie on the internet, it's one of the downsides of everybody getting a computer. Going off my history on forums alone would be enough to confirm this fact, but all you have to do is read the average message board to see what I mean. On this site whenever a $2k or so set goes up for sale you have all sorts of people making posts in every thread about "how close they are to buying this" or whatever when you know they are full of shit, discussions about "right" or "wrong" turns into people trying to out due each other for who's the bigger saint even though you know they are full of shit, there are a few guys on here that can't wait to pop into every thread with nice chips to proclaim to the world how many they have, how much they paid for them, or how insignificant the chips are compared to what they have.... The internet is all the same the world over, and I would be willing to bet the amount of money in the category I would be in that at least one person is lying even though it's an anonymous poll. :) People are people, and people are funny.

LOL...........very true. However my personal vote of <40k is pretty accurate (or <75k for the household).

If you have kids its the same with them as on the forum. I stopped looking at it as "lying" and more of slight (sometimes not so slight) exaggerations. Kids (some forum users) just can't help themselves. Its just natural to "exaggerate" things.

I frequently have to interview people at work for a variety of reasons (traffic accidents, thefts, lost property, threats, ect.....). I assume every single one of them is "exaggerating" to me every time I speak with them, lol.

When I say "I'm close" to purchasing a 2k set it usually means I just really want the fucking thing :) Of course I did just place a 1500 order with cpc

Not enough.

rs_560x315-140331131934-feudama4.gif

Reactions: 72o
@detroitdad , what you say about kids is absolutely true and something that I have to work everyday on. My wife and I feel the most important thing in life for our son is to be an honest, hard-working, and loving person, if you have those three qualities a lot of other problems in life magically take care of themselves. When my son does lie to us I find it very hard not to take it so personally because, well, he's a teenager. It's hard though and I really like what you said about thinking of it more like a forum member exaggerating than a malicious attempt to hurt me with a lie, thanks for the perspective.

@detroitdad , what you say about kids is absolutely true and something that I have to work everyday on. My wife and I feel the most important thing in life for our son is to be an honest, hard-working, and loving person, if you have those three qualities a lot of other problems in life magically take care of themselves. When my son does lie to us I find it very hard not to take it so personally because, well, he's a teenager. It's hard though and I really like what you said about thinking of it more like a forum member exaggerating than a malicious attempt to hurt me with a lie, thanks for the perspective.

I was the same as you. My daughters both went through this "exaggerating" phase as teenagers. I also took it very personal. It was my wife who brought this perspective to me (she's the brains of the operation, I bring the looks :) ).

Both girls have outgrown that. My oldest has even apologized and questions why she even did that shit. Honestly, with teenagers. I don't think they think about it. I think its a "reflex" to lie/exaggerate.

Thank god my son gave us a reprieve from this.

The internet is all the same the world over, and I would be willing to bet the amount of money in the category I would be in that at least one person is lying even though it's an anonymous poll.

While I don't disagree that people have a tendency to lie/exaggerate things on the internet, in a case like this, I'm not sure I see what the point of lying on an anonymous poll would be. Again, it's not to say I think everyone is necessarily being 100% truthful, I just don't see any incentive to exaggerate one's answer given that it's anonymous.

For the record, I am a french model. :)

f4ecd837ce6daec3fc871a2a591e04b8b0a974a40cd836a6b84723d0265152bb.jpg

Or it could be the people are telling the truth! I agree, that it is best to take things with a grain of salt, but I like to think people are telling the truth.
In our case, my wife and I have been blessed with our jobs (she has been a Sales Director in Mary Kay Cosmetics for 27 years), I retired from the Army with a highly marketable skill set, that allowed me to find work for much more than I made as a Soldier.

My chip sets are few and I was able to buy them from Jim at The Chip Room for very good prices.
730 mint, never hit the felt PCA secondary set
1200 excellent (used 6 or 7 times) condition Terrible's mixed plus 400 roulette chips used as fracs
700 TH&C hot stamps that were given to me, I tried to sell these on the Big Blue for .30 cents apiece years ago, and no one wanted them.
800 PGI China Clays with plaques

I love looking at the iconic sets (Puggy's recent sale, the TRK sets that have sold, etc), I just don't have poker chip income at those rates.

I would like to have a Paulson tournament set, but not at the current prices being charged for chips.

Gotta agree with Bentax, when it's anonymous I can't see people, especially from this community, exaggerating to that extent. We just have some really successful folks in our community, nothing wrong with that, it's a niche hobby that can be quite pricey

Maybe its because I deal with degenerates on a daily basis (not the good kind like poker degen's) and it has clouded my perception of most people. Even in an anonymous poll :)

Gotta agree with Bentax, when it's anonymous I can't see people, especially from this community, exaggerating to that extent. We just have some really successful folks in our community, nothing wrong with that, it's a niche hobby that can be quite pricey
I think this is the truth. There are a handful of people in here I suspect are very successful. Just a hobby that appeals to a swath of people in that it is essentially a luxury good.

Ssanels point about income not being comparative is also excellent. Just because you make a lot of money doesn't mean you have a lot of money to spend. You never know the money sinks people may have.

I think this is the truth. There are a handful of people in here I suspect are very successful. Just a hobby that appeals to a swath of people in that it is essentially a luxury good.

Ssanels point about income not being comparative is also excellent. Just because you make a lot of money doesn't mean you have a lot of money to spend. You never know the money sinks people may have.
Great point

I was having this discussion with Mrs. Bentax last night. Although the poll data looks a bit skewed (as compared to the general population), the truth is we're talking about a small group of people who are willing (and able) to spend $3 a piece for thousands of tiny pieces of "clay". By definition, you have to be making a decent amount of money (and have some leftover after living expenses) to afford this hobby. To be honest, I would be more a lot more surprised if everyone said they were making 20-30k/year and then turned around and spent 2-3k+ on sets of poker chips.

I hear what you guys are saying, trust me I do. I am in no way saying that there are not successful people on here, for all the jokes I make about being in the poor house I assure you my wife and I do well for ourselves. I'm also not calling anybody specifically out, these are just the feelings I get after almost twenty years on message boards, forums, user groups, etc etc etc. I may be jaded like Detroitdad but my opinion still stands that yes, even in an anonymous internet poll someone will be "exaggerating". I have met some people from this forum I hope to be life long friends, I see the kindness exhibited by the members here on a daily basis, but this is still the internet and I can also think of examples of "internet exaggeration" as I type this. In my 37 years of life on this planet I'm not sure if I have ever spit whatever I am drinking out of my mouth because something was so funny I couldn't stand it (and I hang out with some funny mf'ers ;) ), yet it happens all the time on the internet, amazing. I've read peoples typed words on here calling someone I know names that would get you a fist fight in real life but this is the internet so what ever you have to do to make yourself appear the better person is fair game. This is a great site, but it's still the internet and internet things happen. ;)

Yeah, maybe I'm just jaded.

do the maff...you can make $500k per year but if you are spending $600k eventually you might be in deep shit

or you make $150k per year and spend only $75k and your good with it

also;
i question always ask people when they say something is "expensive", i ask them what is "expensive to them" to get their perception of expensive, to some people spending $500 on a chipset is expensive and to others that is a cheap price, it may not be realitive to their income either, its what is important to them in their life.......

I was having this discussion with Mrs. Bentax last night. Although the poll data looks a bit skewed (as compared to the general population), the truth is we're talking about a small group of people who are willing (and able) to spend $3 a piece for thousands of tiny pieces of "clay". By definition, you have to be making a decent amount of money (and have some leftover after living expenses) to afford this hobby. To be honest, I would be more a lot more surprised if everyone said they were making 20-30k/year and then turned around and spent 2-3k+ on sets of poker chips.

Our household income is less than 75k. If you look at the way we live you would never know that. My wife is the queen of budgeting. The key is, we don't live outside our means. We don't care much about materialistic things (well, I do when it comes to poker chips, lol). As was stated earlier. We make enough to pay the bills. Save some loot, eat well, and have a good time (I think @links_slayer said this). Were good to go. Now saying that. I don't have enough of an expendable income to buy these $3 chips. I'd love to. I just can't justify it. That's why I have to try and play better poker so that I can spend your guys money on my chips :)

This has been an interesting discussion to follow/participate in. I still agree with @12thMan that I think a few of us have exaggerated on the poll. Not maliciously. Just maybe embarrassed and slightly exaggerated even though its anonymous.

Doesn't matter if they did, didn't. Just a fun poll/conversation anyways.

do the maff...you can make $500k per year but if you are spending $600k eventually you might be in deep shit

also;
i question always ask people when they say something is "expensive", i ask them what is "expensive to them" to get their perception of expensive, to some people spending $500 on a chipset is expensive and to others that is a cheap price, it may not be realitive to their income either, its what is important to them in their life.......

Agree with all of the above.

also;

very true. Its all about perception.

To my wife. Anything more than the 20.00 walmart chips is to much to spend :)

The key is, we don't live outside our means.

This is really the key, regardless of how much income one has.

That's why I have to try and play better poker so that I can spend your guys money on my chips :)

Nothing is sweeter than buying chips with other people's money (y) :thumbsup: I "reinvested" almost all of my poker winnings when I was hosting back into our game via nice chip sets ;)

[QUOTE To be honest, I would be more a lot more surprised if everyone said they were making 20-30k/year and then turned around and spent 2-3k+ on sets of poker chips.[/QUOTE]

hmm maybe but if that is all you care about, i would not be too surprised, its something that means alot to their life

when i was 16 makin xx dollars a week, every nickel and them some went into car stuff because that was #1 in my life then,,,

Our household income is less than 75k. If you look at the way we live you would never know that. My wife is the queen of budgeting. The key is, we don't live outside our means. We don't care much about materialistic things (well, I do when it comes to poker chips, lol). As was stated earlier. We make enough to pay the bills. Save some loot, eat well, and have a good time (I think @links_slayer said this). Were good to go. Now saying that. I don't have enough of an expendable income to buy these $3 chips. I'd love to. I just can't justify it. That's why I have to try and play better poker so that I can spend your guys money on my chips :)

This has been an interesting discussion to follow/participate in. I still agree with @12thMan that I think a few of us have exaggerated on the poll. Not maliciously. Just maybe embarrassed and slightly exaggerated even though its anonymous.

Doesn't matter if they did, didn't. Just a fun poll/conversation anyways.

I know a gentleman that told me the key was identifying what really matters to you. If something really matters then spend the money you need to. But more important if something doesn't really matter, don't spend money on it! That second category gets a lot of folks. If you are disciplined enough to make your budget work for you then your life will be a lot more pleasant in general.

I know a gentleman that told me the key was identifying what really matters to you. If something really matters then spend the money you need to. But more important if something doesn't really matter, don't spend money on it! That second category gets a lot of folks. If you are disciplined enough to make your budget work for you then your life will be a lot more pleasant in general.

Amen brother. Again. I can thank my wife for that. If it was up to me we'd probably be living in a shack made of paulsons :)

[QUOTE To be honest, I would be more a lot more surprised if everyone said they were making 20-30k/year and then turned around and spent 2-3k+ on sets of poker chips.

hmm maybe but if that is all you care about, i would not be too surprised, its something that means alot to their life

when i was 16 makin xx dollars a week, every nickel and them some went into car stuff because that was #1 in my life then,,,[/QUOTE]
I believe that people have the time and the money for things they value, and many times those values are different than mine.
The nice thing about this particular website, we all value the same thing, just to different levels.

when i was 16 makin xx dollars a week, every nickel and them some went into car stuff because that was #1 in my life then,,,

I just meant that generally speaking, given the cost of this hobby, I am not surprised people that there are more people making above average incomes. I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't spend their money on what makes them happy, regardless of what they make.

I think people are much more likely to be honest when the answers are anonymous. That doesn't mean they won't exaggerate slightly however. But I'd doubt seriously that anyone in here making 75k is going to check one of the 6 figure boxes. I think any exaggerations are slight. Like someone making 195k might check the 200k box after they consider the value of their benefits package, or someone making 15k might check that 20k box because they've been "working on their game" and they just KNOW they're gonna bink a 5k tourney this year!

But there are definitely a lot of high income earners in this hobby. I won't single anyone out, but I've had dealings with a handful of people on here since joining, and they've been doctors, lawyers, business owners, and scientists. Not exactly scraping by.

I partook in the poll, but when it comes to this hobby, my (or household) income doesn't really come into play directly. I don't spend any of my regular income on chips...I just don't make enough money for the luxury. The only way I can get the misses on board with this habit is to only spend "extra" money on chips...things like bonuses, side work, birthday/Christmas money, etc. But then again, I don't spend money on much else for myself. For example, the only way that I could possibly afford customs right now is to sell off some of the chips that I do have. One of the main reasons why I love chipping is, and this sounds funny to say, but it puts a smile on my face to get some badass chips...it's that simple. And this is how I justify spending the money I do spend here.

I partook in the poll, but when it comes to this hobby, my (or household) income doesn't really come into play directly. I don't spend any of my regular income on chips...I just don't make enough money for the luxury. The only way I can get the misses on board with this habit is to only spend "extra" money on chips...things like bonuses, side work, birthday/Christmas money, etc. But then again, I don't spend money on much else for myself. For example, the only way that I could possibly afford customs right now is to sell off some of the chips that I do have. One of the main reasons why I love chipping is, and this sounds funny to say, but it puts a smile on my face to get some badass chips...it's that simple. And this is how I justify spending the money I do spend here.

That about sums it up for me also.

I think people are much more likely to be honest when the answers are anonymous. That doesn't mean they won't exaggerate slightly however. But I'd doubt seriously that anyone in here making 75k is going to check one of the 6 figure boxes. I think any exaggerations are slight. Like someone making 195k might check the 200k box after they consider the value of their benefits package, or someone making 15k might check that 20k box because they've been "working on their game" and they just KNOW they're gonna bink a 5k tourney this year!

But there are definitely a lot of high income earners in this hobby. I won't single anyone out, but I've had dealings with a handful of people on here since joining, and they've been doctors, lawyers, business owners, and scientists. Not exactly scraping by.

For someone who is just curious to see the poll results, I also doubt they are putting much time into a honest answer. I would definitely expect a few people to select either the top or bottom choice, and probably even a few to mix up their greater than/less than signs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom