My Journey As A Professional Poker Player (23 Viewers)

It may be too soon to have relevant data, but have you noticed a profit uptick now that you're not being served sandwiches?

I didn't play at all last week, and I haven't played at Luckys in 2 weeks

Chipping up

20201030_150915.jpg

Clearly you enjoy PLO (as do I).

Maybe you have enough data to speak to this, maybe not, but I'm wondering how you feel about PLO versus NLHE, with regard to playing professionally. Is PLO more profitable? Do you personally find it easier or more difficult? Does the competition scale similarly across increases in stakes? Stuff like that.

Clearly you enjoy PLO (as do I).

Maybe you have enough data to speak to this, maybe not, but I'm wondering how you feel about PLO versus NLHE, with regard to playing professionally. Is PLO more profitable? Do you personally find it easier or more difficult? Does the competition scale similarly across increases in stakes? Stuff like that.

I find it easier and more profitable, players are generally looser and it's easier to get unstuck.

Hold em I find tougher to make a profit at

I find it easier and more profitable, players are generally looser and it's easier to get unstuck.

Hold em I find tougher to make a profit at
This is more or less the response I expected.

Hold'em is over-studied IMO. Since the poker boom wound down, players seem to make fewer and fewer of the egregious, costly mistakes they used to make. The ratio of serious to recreational players has grown significantly.

At PLO, on the other hand, folks seem to make the same magnitude of errors that I used to see in Hold'em back during the boom. Just horrible plays where they're getting massively freerolled or stacking off with under 10% equity. Good stuff.

This is more or less the response I expected.

Hold'em is over-studied IMO. Since the poker boom wound down, players seem to make fewer and fewer of the egregious, costly mistakes they used to make. The ratio of serious to recreational players has grown significantly.

At PLO, on the other hand, folks seem to make the same magnitude of errors that I used to see in Hold'em back during the boom. Just horrible plays where they're getting massively freerolled or stacking off with under 10% equity. Good stuff.

Since the equities run closer together as well (beaten and bruised Cubans notwithstanding) the less skilled players will book wins a bit more frequently than in NLHE.

Yes you can construct ranges for yourself and your opponents in PLO, but it's way easier to deceive those perceptions since you've got 4 cards instead of 2. This cuts both ways so the game is of course more volatile, but it also makes a way better metagame than NLHE. You can flat with AA or 3-bet with a nice suited rundown and you're not giving much equity up in either case. It's also harder to penalize / target these equity mishaps because of:

1. The flop nature of Omaha.
2. Most hands generally go multiway post-flop.

So what you have is big-bet poker that contains a skill edge but not as prominent as NLHE. It's almost as if @Anthony Martino put some thought into his game choice before going pro!

THANK U POKER JEEZUS! He's smiling down on me

20201030_155651.jpg

As far as equities and skill, getting it in preflop they do run closer together. I prefer my opponents to make as large a mistake as possible, so I try to play small-ball and see flops and let them get into spots where they are 30% or less equity, sometimes drawing dead or close to it

So last night kinda kicking myself. Playing 2/5 PLO with $10 rock and limped button after other limpers holding :ac::2d::3s::3c:

BB recently won 50k for 1st in a hold em tourney and has generally been very aggressive, pots it to $70

I started with $1,500 and I'm up to $1,900, but am covered by Villain and a few others

Everyone calls, so with a suited Ace on the button I call as well

Flop :3d::6s::7s:

Everone checks to me, I bet $125, only Villain in BB calls

Turn :2h:

Villain checks. I opt to check when I should be potting here, given the flush draw on the flop being a likely holding.

But I figured at the time it kept me from committing to the pot if he was slowplaying the flopped nuts, and kept his bluffs in since he might lead the river given his overly aggressive style. Especially since my check makes me look like I had a draw

River :8c:

Villain leads for $300 into a $600 pot. I call and he flips over :kh::kd::9h::5s: for a rivered gutshot, ugh

The hand where I managed to double I pot with :ad::ah::6s::3s: in MP after a limper, and button who is a tough aggressive player who only runs it once repots

Folds to me, I repot.....he repots....I can't fold now and repot

We get it all-in and I figure he's got better Aces or a double suited broadway rundown

Turns out he has something like T976 suited, so has decent equity against me.

But flop is :ac::qc::th: and turn a :6d:, river the :ts: and we get the full double

Overall, despite my wins Friday and Saturday, I have just been relatively fortunate. The lineups have not been good and next week will be going back to playing much later into the a.m. to find softer targets

Wanna be more useful? You need a lot more street cred to get me to listen to an 8-hour podcast based off a single comment of "interesting".

Wanna be more useful? You need a lot more street cred to get me to listen to an 8-hour podcast based off a single comment of "interesting".

(3:28:44): Interview with forum member "Kn1sh", who claims two Cubans are cheating live PLO games throughout the US....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom