Official Horse Race Game Thread (3 Viewers)

Half the guys I play with spent weekends at the track when they run races around here. Including myself.
Anyone figured out a way to place other bets like Exacta, Trifecta, etc.?
I guess you could create separate pots. You’d have to have the cards in your hand to bet it. Pot would carry over until someone hit it.
Degen 2.0! lmao!

I have not tried it but I think the excitement of adding a 2nd and/or a 3rd place might offset or be worth the increased time per race? I don't have any idea on how to implement additional betting but I think you could split the pot:

if 1st and 2nd place only - 2 pots, 1st place gets 75% of the antes and penalty fees and 2nd place gets 25% (OR 2/3 and 1/3)?

if 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - 3 pots, 50%/25%/25% split or "3, 2, 1" (where, as the antes and fees come in, for every 6 of the base increments come in, 3 go to 1st, 2 go to 2nd and 1 goes to 3rd)?

So as I understand the game:

Once the scratched horses are established, the only way money continues to go into the pot is if a scratched horse is rolled.

So if you wanted to play beyond one winner, what if you awarded the pot according to the established rules, then continued the game. Perhaps if someone rolled the number of the first place horse they have to pay x amount of units... Which would juice the pot a little faster.

And once a second place horse crosses the finish line, the pot is awarded again and the game continues until a 3rd winner comes in and the pot is awarded again.

The thought is that as the game continues, 5 of the 11 possible rolls would result in money going into the pot; and 6 once two winners are established.

I think I’m going to upgrade to this - just $25 more than the pine board and love the multi colored horses and grommets. Cherry wood
FD65BE00-3E01-4ED7-BB54-9ADD227153DB.png

I think I’m going to upgrade to this - just $25 more than the pine board and love the multi colored horses and grommets. Cherry wood View attachment 887978
I just did my return for my warped board. Amazon is cross-shipping me another one. If this one is warped as well, I'm going to give the cherry board a try. I like that it's got the grommets already installed as well!

So if you wanted to play beyond one winner, what if you awarded the pot according to the established rules, then continued the game. Perhaps if someone rolled the number of the first place horse they have to pay x amount of units... Which would juice the pot a little faster.
Yeah, so the problem here is if #7 wins... It's the most likely number to get rerolled...

I don't like 2nd place for that reason... Third place even worse. Too many dead rolls after getting a winner.

Unless it’s a pre-April Fools’ Day joke, our host cancelled tonight’s live game yesterday. Was really looking forward to introducing the horse racing game to the guys tonight. :cry:

Nice! I ordered today too. I got invites to 3 completely unrelated home games today, so I figure everyone is coming out of hibernation and it was a sign I need to bring them another way to gamble.
3 different home games. Nice! Any in NH or near the border? :D

Nice touch with the inlay. What are the dimensions of the board?
Thanks man. The board measures 12.5"*27". I made it a little longer than some of the boards you can buy thinking it'd be easier for everyone sitting around the table to see. Played with it a little last night... Worked out pretty well.

I was gonna make a board but decided that I'd rather put the effort into making a box instead. The plan is to make a box where the playing surface is the sliding lid. Once it arrives on Sunday, I can take measurements and get to work.

Last edited:
Bought mine yesterday morning for our big 4/1 game. I'm just worried the degenerate gamblers in our group are going to enjoy it more than actual poker :LOL: :laugh:.

The inaugural horse race game was an absolute blast, despite me getting destroyed (one game literally every roll I paid out :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:). Thanks for getting us hooked on it everyone; it's going to be a staple.

ekkIuxe.jpg

hXbepOJ.jpg

going to a final four get-together tonight with some buddies who love to gamble, wish i had ordered mine a day earlier :cautious:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom