Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (67 Viewers)

13ABF9EA-25BA-4D3B-AE3E-B0F252ADCE80.jpeg

Never seen this in wild around me, it had to pick it up. Probably overpaid, but oh well. Had the C barrel proof, but wanted $99. I passed.

View attachment 1017194
This one was a clear winner in a blind taste test recently. I was so surprised at how much I liked it, then I went out and bought another bottle to open up at Poker night. Everyone also enjoyed it, so as far as I'm concerned it's a winner and a rebuy ... But I also only paid about $60, so that does help the rebuy-ability

@Billy Baroo any idea how this compares to the Elijah Craig toasted barrel? I've never had the barrel proof one.
Completely different animals. There really isn’t a apples to apples comparison of the two. The barrel proof is a 12 yr high octane version of their classic profile where the flavors are amped up with a decent amount more oak, especially on the finish, than the standard 94 proof small batch. The toasted barrel is just their regular small batch finished in a second barrel that changes the overall flavor profile quite a bit. To me, it’s a good bit sweeter but it also adds a little extra oak that’s different to the finish over the small batch. It’s a real nice dessert pour imo

I really like the Toasted, but I need to be in just the right mood for it. I’m almost always in the mood for the Barrel Proof…it’s an absolute favorite of mine and quite a few others here as well.

BTW…the C922 is fantastic!! Best batch I’ve had in a few years!

Completely different animals. There really isn’t a apples to apples comparison of the two. The barrel proof is a 12 yr high octane version of their classic profile where the flavors are amped up with a decent amount more oak, especially on the finish, than the standard 94 proof small batch. The toasted barrel is just their regular small batch finished in a second barrel that changes the overall flavor profile quite a bit. To me, it’s a good bit sweeter but it also adds a little extra oak that’s different to the finish over the small batch. It’s a real nice dessert pour imo

I really like the Toasted, but I need to be in just the right mood for it. I’m almost always in the mood for the Barrel Proof…it’s an absolute favorite of mine and quite a few others here as well.

BTW…the C922 is fantastic!! Best batch I’ve had in a few years!
That's exactly what I was thinking... They make you think that they're similar because they're all in the same shaped bottle. I personally love the toasted, especially for the price point that I can get it at. Any type of extra char that adds sweetness and woodiness is usually a winner in my book.

As far as high octane goes, since it's hard to get Stagg Jr., and since my go-to barrel strength, Belle Meade, was discontinued, I'll have to give this one a try. I will take a look and see if I can find C922.

That's exactly what I was thinking... They make you think that they're similar because they're all in the same shaped bottle. I personally love the toasted, especially for the price point that I can get it at. Any type of extra char that adds sweetness and woodiness is usually a winner in my book.

As far as high octane goes, since it's hard to get Stagg Jr., and since my go-to barrel strength, Belle Meade, was discontinued, I'll have to give this one a try. I will take a look and see if I can find C922.
The Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is a tough get in my parts, so I jump on them when I can. My buddy actually got me 2 bottles out of state for me while traveling for work.

The best, readily available barrel proof in my opinion is Wild Turkey Rare Breed followed by Old Forester 1920. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof is also a killer bottle, but they’re getting harder and harder to find.

The Barrel Proof is a tough get in my parts, so I jump on them when I can. My buddy actually got me 2 bottles out of state for me while traveling for work.

The best, readily available barrel proof in my opinion is Wild Turkey Rare Breed followed by Old Forester 1920. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof is also a killer bottle, but they’re getting harder and harder to find.
Time to move to Jersey, I see ECBP all over! (Yes, I realize I just opened myself to all sorts of Jersey hating comments... I can take it... I've had bourbon)

I personally feel that 1920 started off amazing. For $55, everything about it was a winner. But the last couple of bottles have been a disappointment... I kind of feel like they ramped up production of it too quickly and perhaps the quality began to suffer. Or maybe I just got a couple bottles that weren't in their prime... I've actually hesitated going back and getting another one just because there are so many other ones that have cropped up since.

Time to move to Jersey, I see ECBP all over! (Yes, I realize I just opened myself to all sorts of Jersey hating comments... I can take it... I've had bourbon)

I personally feel that 1920 started off amazing. For $55, everything about it was a winner. But the last couple of bottles have been a disappointment... I kind of feel like they ramped up production of it too quickly and perhaps the quality began to suffer. Or maybe I just got a couple bottles that weren't in their prime... I've actually hesitated going back and getting another one just because there are so many other ones that have cropped up since.
I own too many guns to move to Jersey :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I went last night (as a closet Astros fan). Fricking awesome to see the no hitter. No bourbon drinking currently on the business trip.
Fantastic that you had that opportunity! Thanks for helping to root us on to victory. Now we need to get JV that first World Series victory tonight that he needs.

Last week he had OF Birthday Bourbon for 375 out the door. Would any of you have been interested in it at that price? I only ask because if I see it again, I'm happy to buy it and ship it.

Last week he had OF Birthday Bourbon for 375 out the door. Would any of you have been interested in it at that price? I only ask because if I see it again, I'm happy to buy it and ship it.
Yes please, my good buddy has been trying to get one. Send me a message if you find it again

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom