Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (51 Viewers)

490AC0E4-4819-4D15-BDA7-3CADBDDF578F.jpeg

What’s the trick to starting one? How many pours go in before you drink?
minimum is probably 3, max is however many you want. Flavors will blend a bit more if you give them time in the bottle to mingle, but if you pour a 1 ounce pour out of your bottle, at a dash of whatever you are thinking of adding, give it a swirl and it tastes awful, you probably shouldn't add it. Like adding salt to a dish, you can't take it back out.

just 'taking an ounce from everything' is kinda a recipe for failure, you can get lucky, but you probably won't. Think of an orchestra, all talented musicians, all properly tuned, all playing a different song and the same time, you might get a melody here or there, something that works, but most of the time they are just going to cancel each other out and if you are lucky you will just get 'whisky' but not anything special.

i'd start with doing some googling and finding a 'poor man's blend' that you like and that you can make with what you have and then going from there. It's already a blend that you are then just adding additional notes to instead of trying to start from scratch.

don't add a peated scotch :-p

minimum is probably 3, max is however many you want. Flavors will blend a bit more if you give them time in the bottle to mingle, but if you pour a 1 ounce pour out of your bottle, at a dash of whatever you are thinking of adding, give it a swirl and it tastes awful, you probably shouldn't add it. Like adding salt to a dish, you can't take it back out.

just 'taking an ounce from everything' is kinda a recipe for failure, you can get lucky, but you probably won't. Think of an orchestra, all talented musicians, all properly tuned, all playing a different song and the same time, you might get a melody here or there, something that works, but most of the time they are just going to cancel each other out and if you are lucky you will just get 'whisky' but not anything special.

i'd start with doing some googling and finding a 'poor man's blend' that you like and that you can make with what you have and then going from there. It's already a blend that you are then just adding additional notes to instead of trying to start from scratch.

don't add a peated scotch :p
This is definitely the way! I didn’t add anything to my bottle that I didn’t taste first and not like. I also let mine hibernate for a few months before I started to take pours from it. Excellent advice @JustDave

Currently have an offer for a 2019 George T. Stagg and a Rock Hill Farms. Thoughts? It's a 9yr.

That’s a fair trade. I usually give willett purple tops around $100-120/year. So that would put it close to $1200. Not sure if I have anything you want. In trade I’d prob give $1400 in trade valuations for it

That’s a fair trade. I usually give willett purple tops around $100-120/year. So that would put it close to $1200. Not sure if I have anything you want. In trade I’d prob give $1400 in trade valuations for it
Current going rate in Chicagoland is around 900.

What do you think?

I’m taking a couple bottles to the driveway cookout: Sagamore Double Oaked and Knob Creek 9yr. My wife is bringing delicious BBQ chili.
I really like this! Love the added oak that the extra aging brings to the party and all the rough edges of the 9yr seem to be smoothed out greatly. There’s more depth and complexity to this one. I love the 9yr but this one is so much more refined and drinkable to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom