Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (44 Viewers)

20221028_222452.jpg

Fryeday dad day! @Big Jilm . Lost Dad in 2015. Maybe the most traumatic event in my life.

PSA:

For those of you who’ve asked me in the past about my glassware, it is Japanese crystal from Kimura Glassware, and is usually extremely spendy. Frankly, it still is, but with the dollar crushing foreign currencies right now, the glasses can be had for slightly less of an insane price: $67.50 each, when buying sets of two. Yes, that is an insanely silly price, but I’m not saying this lightly: these are the best glasses I have ever used. I gave a set to my former boss, a guy with a nine figure net worth, a guy who regularly gets more expensive gifts like rare unicorn bourbons, and he still talks about what an amazing and thoughtful gift they were. Like me, he uses them every day. They are the perfect weight and balance, and fit the hand perfectly. They are a joy to hold and use. I love them and think they’re worth the splurge.

Link to the glassware here;
https://kimuraglass.com/products/barber-a02

Trick to get best pricing: add product (two glass gift set, Barber a02, but come in two other slightly different styles as well) to your cart, and create an account. Price will be in USD at that point, but you can do better: leave the website. You’ll get an automatic email with a link to your cart, and the price will be in JPY, which at current rates is a deal.

I just ordered 6 more. I love these glasses. Worth every penny.

Pic shows comparison to a glencairn.

F5729CE5-E207-43A9-86EB-07AF0F1B83EF.jpeg
5AE56112-B896-40FF-9D20-6A9E48D8BB2F.jpeg

Last edited:
With unicorn tears.

Srsly tho, hand wash with Dawn.
Do you have a big fat washcloth you stuff in there to wash the surfaces properly? I only ask, because those glasses of yours are awesome, I hate glencairns though, especially how I can never quite reach the bottom of the glass to clean it properly.

Do you have a big fat washcloth you stuff in there to wash the surfaces properly? I only ask, because those glasses of yours are awesome, I hate glencairns though, especially how I can never quite reach the bottom of the glass to clean it properly.
I use Scotch Brite Dobie sponges. Love them—easily reach inside glasses and are gentle. These glasses aren’t as deep as a glencairn.

View attachment 1013772Bourbon junkies barrel picks from wilderness trail. Junkies fan in dc was nice enough to let me ship to him and picked it up along with a sample of magnus cigar blend which I’d been wanting to try for a while.

Who wants samples of the wilderness trail? Just got a bunch of sample bottles in from amazon and don’t have anywhere to put them.
Second call for samples of these Bourbon Junkies Wilderness trail barrel picks.

I've got @Pinkdan @Saoliver @wolfpack

I saw an Elijah Criag barrel proof (B bottle) for $89, and a private barrel (131.9 proof) for $99. Either of them worth the price? Surprised how much higher proof the private barrel is

I saw an Elijah Criag barrel proof (B bottle) for $89, and a private barrel (131.9 proof) for $99. Either of them worth the price? Surprised how much higher proof the private barrel is
Surprised at how much higher the cost is or how much higher the proof is?

I'd pay more for a private barrel if I was familiar with the base offering and I either could sample it before hand OR I really trusted the person selecting it. Like Bruichladdich base spirit selected by Jim McEwan, ZERO hesitation. JD single barrel by 'franks liquors' not worth the premium.

ECBP is normally what ~120 proof? Barrel proof from here https://www.ttb.gov/images/pdfs/rulings/79-9.htm

Held further, "Barrel Proof" on a distilled spirits label indicates that the bottling proof is not more than two degrees lower than the proof established at the time the spirits were gauged for tax determination.

I'm not willing to read through TTB to figure out what they mean by 'degrees' or when 'gauged for tax determination' but I'm pretty sure what that means is 'within X margin' from when the barrel is dumped, aka, you aren't allowed to add that much water to it..

View attachment 1013772Bourbon junkies barrel picks from wilderness trail. Junkies fan in dc was nice enough to let me ship to him and picked it up along with a sample of magnus cigar blend which I’d been wanting to try for a while.

Who wants samples of the wilderness trail? Just got a bunch of sample bottles in from amazon and don’t have anywhere to put them.
I killed my BJ Nulu Toasted Marshmallow Rye last night watching my Phillies beat Verlander and the Astros...great night!

I just dropped in to my local mom&pop that has, in the past, been good to me. I was toting my WLW and a couple glencairns, and provided the proprietor with a very generous pour. I wanted to share something rare that I luckboxed into, and I wanted to thank him for sliding unicorns my way.

But of course, my actions weren’t entirely selfless: So far, 2022 has been very dry for him, allocated whiskey-wise, but I’m playing the long game, and I know that if something comes in, he’ll think of me. Besides, he definitely deserves it. So, fingers crossed!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom