Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (51 Viewers)

Neat find. Never had but have heard good things. Cool display tooView attachment 1018788View attachment 1018787

OMG - Nice find! Midleton is one of those Irish whiskeys I've never gotten around to trying. I found Redbreast and kinda parked there. Would love to hear what you think of this one...
There has been one sitting at one of my stores for a long time. I can’t remember the price, but I thought it was too much. But I wonder…

20221105_164214.jpg

Took me a trip to 3 different fucking post offices to mail a simple bubble mailer to Canada today (USPS simply blows sometimes....), but thankfully the last one was close to a liquor store I haven't stopped by in a while. SCORE! I've obviously been looking for the C922s for a bit, but it's been forever since I've seen either the Willett 4year or WTRB rye on the shelves by me (besides behind glass for 10x MSPR).

After doing a dry October, I started November with a 48 hour virus, just starting to feel better this weekend. Gonna crack open one of these C922s tonight!

Still on the shelf, has been for months. Somebody find me a secondary Timmy paying 2000 and send me a PM!
45B47828-7C7F-437C-94D0-4F6FE6F7E27F.jpeg

Yet another awesome @Saoliver sample…Barrel Seagrass 16 yr 130.82 proof
AE663ED7-130E-4248-B040-EFB0C9BFADD4.jpeg
I’ve said before that regular Seagrass just wasn’t my jam due to the overpowering apricot on all three phases of the sip. This is nothing like that. I smell and taste apricot but it’s so much more subdued by the extra age the oak brings to the party. This tastes awesome. I get apricot, but there’s something else I just can’t put my finger on. Whatever it is mellows out the apricot to where the sweetness is perfect. The finish is great…nice and warm with the rye shining in the end. Definitely let’s you know it’s proof means business! Fantastic pour. Making me think I need to grab a bottle of Seagrass to have another go at it.

Yet another sample from @Saoliver…E H Taylor Barrel Proof 127.3 proof
35094F0F-7434-4E9F-A0EF-2A690AD8CEA3.jpeg
W.T.F!!! This has so much going on it’s almost overwhelming. Every time I nose it, I get a different dominant scent. Apple pie, cherries, oak, caramel, vanilla and some serious spice (clove?). This has such a wonderful creamy and oily mouthfeel. Everything I smell is present on the palate at one point and it’s like a revolving door. Each sip is different and the flavors are so well balanced. Cherry seems to be the predominant flavor with an awesome oakiness and spice backing it up. Might be the best Kentucky hug on the finish I’ve ever had!! I’m fucking ruined lol

Yet another sample from @Saoliver…E H Taylor Barrel Proof 127.3 proofView attachment 1018903W.T.F!!! This has so much going on it’s almost overwhelming. Every time I nose it, I get a different dominant scent. Apple pie, cherries, oak, caramel, vanilla and some serious spice (clove?). This has such a wonderful creamy and oily mouthfeel. Everything I smell is present on the palate at one point and it’s like a revolving door. Each sip is different and the flavors are so well balanced. Cherry seems to be the predominant flavor with an awesome oakiness and spice backing it up. Might be the best Kentucky hug on the finish I’ve ever had!! I’m fucking ruined lol
It’s one of my absolute favorites. Not quite BTAC, but pretty damn close. I think I might go have a pour right now after your tasting notes. Lol

It’s one of my absolute favorites. Not quite BTAC, but pretty damn close. I think I might go have a pour right now after your tasting notes. Lol
Thank you again…that was awesome! It’s gonna be hard to decide when to have the rest of that sample!

Everything so far you sent has been top notch!

W.T.F!!! This has so much going on it’s almost overwhelming.
It’s one of my absolute favorites. Not quite BTAC, but pretty damn close.
I am going to preface this with saying that I love high proof ...

However, I do not understand Barrel Proofs that also have "normal" counterparts. Take, for example, EHT BP ... Regular EHT is amazing. The master distillers cut it down to what they think is the right expression - the way they believe it should taste. So, what's up with barrel proof's like EHT? It's just the same stuff without Kentucky water added, right?

OK, now that that's over, yes, I know that the above statement also contradicts my love of Stagg Jr. since Stagg and Stagg Jr. are the exact same thing. However, I counter that BTAC Stagg is not as good as Stagg Jr. - I actually think they do a disservice by cutting it down for the BTAC.

Going back to EHT. It's fantastic. For the barrel proof, are you cutting it at all to open it up or just enjoying it neat?

And, finally, @Saoliver - you rock man - gifting a sample of EHT:BP!

However, I do not understand Barrel Proofs that also have "normal" counterparts. Take, for example, EHT BP ... Regular EHT is amazing. The master distillers cut it down to what they think is the right expression - the way they believe it should taste. So, what's up with barrel proof's like EHT? It's just the same stuff without Kentucky water added, right?

OK, now that that's over, yes, I know that the above statement also contradicts my love of Stagg Jr. since Stagg and Stagg Jr. are the exact same thing. However, I counter that BTAC Stagg is not as good as Stagg Jr. - I actually think they do a disservice by cutting it down for the BTAC.

Going back to EHT. It's fantastic. For the barrel proof, are you cutting it at all to open it up or just enjoying it neat?

EHT is all bottled in bond, except for the barrel proof. But I see your point. However, you can always cut the barrel proof to where YOU think it’s best. ;)

Also, George T Stagg is uncut and unfiltered.

EHT is all bottled in bond, except for the barrel proof. But I see your point. However, you can always cut the barrel proof to where YOU think it’s best. ;)
Oh believe me, I know it's BiB :) ... In fact, I think that because it's getting cut down to 100 proof, that really alters the master distillers decision about when to dump the barrel; they know they have to hit 100, so they need to start it at the right point out of the barrel to get the right final flavor.

Again, not knocking barrel proofs (RIP Belle Meade) ... but if it's the same stuff, I had always thought the idea was to let us cut it and open up the flavors to what we want. Not necessarily to drink it as-is.

Just more curious about what others think about barrel proofs ...

Also, George T Stagg is uncut and unfiltered.
Hmmm - I had never even thought of that. Recent years have been in the high teens while Stagg Jr. has been in the upper 120s and even lower 130s. I always thought they cut it just a little because of that discrepency.

I’m a firm believer that most distillers proof their product down to get maximum volume over what is an optimal profile. They’ll water it down until they say that’s too thin/weak/muted and then bring it back up a touch. Just my opinion as I do believe certain pours are indeed proofed to what the master distiller thinks is best.

I greatly prefer barrel proof whisky and I only drink them neat. Out of 50+ bottles I currently have, there might be 1-2 under 100 proof and most of the rest are uncut and unfiltered. Like Scott, I’m a high proof fiend as well lol

I’m a firm believer that most distillers proof their product down to get maximum volume over what is an optimal profile. They’ll water it down until they say that’s too thin/weak/muted and then bring it back up a touch. Just my opinion as I do believe certain pours are indeed proofed to what the master distiller thinks is best.

I greatly prefer barrel proof whisky and I only drink them neat. Out of 50+ bottles I currently have, there might be 1-2 under 100 proof and most of the rest are uncut and unfiltered. Like Scott, I’m a high proof fiend as well lol
Well put - I suppose my love for Bourbon clouds my judgement sometimes and I always hope that they are cutting it down to the best flavor profile and not the most volume for profit.

I, too, have very few whiskeys under 100. I'm 99.9% neat as well, with the occasional drop or two of water to open it up if I'm feeling dangerous...

1. ECBP C922
2. Widow jane 10 year
3. HH BiB
4. westward single malt stout finished
5. jeffersons ocean aged at sea
6. uncle nearest 1884
I like to hear this. My future son-in-law just picked me up a bottle of the HH BiB. Looking forward to tasting that one.

EDIT: for the convo above, I gravitate to single barrels and barrel proofs on this 2+ year now journey. They just have more flavor and complexity IMHO.

Well put - I suppose my love for Bourbon clouds my judgement sometimes and I always hope that they are cutting it down to the best flavor profile and not the most volume for profit.

I, too, have very few whiskeys under 100. I'm 99.9% neat as well, with the occasional drop or two of water to open it up if I'm feeling dangerous...
1667699080054.gif
05FC1B99-A29A-48CD-B0C3-02361C895CE0.jpeg

I like to hear this. My future son-in-law just picked me up a bottle of the HH BiB. Looking forward to tasting that one.

EDIT: for the convo above, I gravitate to single barrels and barrel proofs on this 2+ year now journey. They just have more flavor and complexity IMHO.
After my first ever sip of Rare Breed, there was no turning back!

Today's haul. I bought one of the EC 922s from the place I showed you a couple days ago (still 10 left lol, now 9 after I got done). Then I walked past the Costco pallet of these Makers Mark beauties for the third time in the past month or so, and today pulled the trigger. Costco has Calumet 15 for $109. If they had the 16 for say $119, I'd do that. The Costco set was $75 out the door, and I didn't think $25 per 375mL was too bad at all.

IMG_3054.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom