Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (42 Viewers)

This one is really tasty, I'm glad I grabbed a second bottle. Incredibly smooth for 115 proof.

20221105_215609.jpg

Happy "getting an extra hour" hour, my friends. Here in Indiana, we used to NEVER change our time, and I liked it. Now we mostly do Eastern Time. (Some counties near Chicago do central time, and maybe some in the southwest near Evansville.)

My son surprised me with this as a birthday present today. It's been a pretty excellent few days since my actual birthday. This awesome bottle of bourbon, and three consecutive Astro's wins culminating in a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP tonight!!! GO 'STROS!!!

20221105_235835.jpg

My son surprised me with this as a birthday present today. It's been a pretty excellent few days since my actual birthday. This awesome bottle of bourbon, and three consecutive Astro's wins culminating in a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP tonight!!! GO 'STROS!!!

View attachment 1019018
Happy birthday and congrats on the bottle! Enjoy!

However, can’t share in your joy of the Astros winning. Here in LA, they’ll always be known as the Cheaters!!!

OMG - Nice find! Midleton is one of those Irish whiskeys I've never gotten around to trying. I found Redbreast and kinda parked there. Would love to hear what you think of this one...
You’ve had Middleton.

Middleton is a big distillery that survived prohibition and the closure of almost all whiskey production in Ireland. A few others survived and some have sprung up due to the whiskey crazy lately, but Middleton is still where a lot of what you thinking of as “Irish” whiskey is made.

The reason I say you’ve had Middleton is redbreast is made by Middleton.

You’ve had Middleton.

Middleton is a big distillery that survived prohibition and the closure of almost all whiskey production in Ireland. A few others survived and some have sprung up due to the whiskey crazy lately, but Middleton is still where a lot of what you thinking of as “Irish” whiskey is made.

The reason I say you’ve had Middleton is redbreast is made by Middleton.
And doesn't Jameson own them all?

Isn't that like saying that I've had William LaRue Weller because I've had a Sazerac?

But I've never had an actual Midleton bottle...

And doesn't Jameson own them all?

Isn't that like saying that I've had William LaRue Weller because I've had a Sazerac?

But I've never had an actual Midleton bottle...
Jameson isn't its own thing. It's owned by Irish Distillers and made at the same place. And irish Distillers is owned by Pernod Ricard which is an umbrella for a truly absurd number of different spirits, Chivas, Abelour, Glenlivet, Jefferson, Absolut, Beefeater, Havana Club, etc. But yeah, same distillery. That being said, nothing says it is made the same way. Like they have three big pot stills, but they also have column stills, you are gonna get a very different result as pot still vs a blended with a lot of column still distillate in it.

The only stuff that really gets sold as 'middleton' is Middleton Very Rare and then the Method and Madness series. "Very Rare" is a special occasion thing, or at least that's what I'm saving mine for. The spots IIRC say Middleton on them somewhere, but it isn't overly clear.

Method and Madness is... odd. It's a series of them doing a bunch of different experiments. It would be cool to go to a bar that had a huge collection of different kinds and doing flights, but not something I'd buy a bottle of. For example, I have one bottle that is Irish finished in French Chestnut, it smells and tastes like a very old antique furniture store, but not in any kind of good way.

Jameson isn't its own thing. It's owned by Irish Distillers and made at the same place. And irish Distillers is owned by Pernod Ricard which is an umbrella for a truly absurd number of different spirits, Chivas, Abelour, Glenlivet, Jefferson, Absolut, Beefeater, Havana Club, etc. But yeah, same distillery. That being said, nothing says it is made the same way. Like they have three big pot stills, but they also have column stills, you are gonna get a very different result as pot still vs a blended with a lot of column still distillate in it.

The only stuff that really gets sold as 'middleton' is Middleton Very Rare and then the Method and Madness series. "Very Rare" is a special occasion thing, or at least that's what I'm saving mine for. The spots IIRC say Middleton on them somewhere, but it isn't overly clear.

Method and Madness is... odd. It's a series of them doing a bunch of different experiments. It would be cool to go to a bar that had a huge collection of different kinds and doing flights, but not something I'd buy a bottle of. For example, I have one bottle that is Irish finished in French Chestnut, it smells and tastes like a very old antique furniture store, but not in any kind of good way.
But isn't midleton actually made at the Old midleton distillery? It's not made in Dublin, is it?

And yes, when I meant that I hadn't had metal thing yet I meant the midleton very rare, that's the one I would get if I was going to get one. I think I've seen it around here for anywhere between $300 and $600.

I always found the history of Irish whiskey to be quite interesting. Especially with Jameson finishing their regular whiskeys in used bourbon barrels. When I asked them what they used to use before bourbon was created 150 years ago, they said it was purely sherry casks.

But isn't midleton actually made at the Old midleton distillery? It's not made in Dublin, is it?

And yes, when I meant that I hadn't had metal thing yet I meant the midleton very rare, that's the one I would get if I was going to get one. I think I've seen it around here for anywhere between $300 and $600.

I always found the history of Irish whiskey to be quite interesting. Especially with Jameson finishing their regular whiskeys in used bourbon barrels. When I asked them what they used to use before bourbon was created 150 years ago, they said it was purely sherry casks.
yeah, nothing is made in dublin. The old jameson distillery in dublin is just for tourism.

Happy birthday and congrats on the bottle! Enjoy!

However, can’t share in your joy of the Astros winning. Here in LA, they’ll always be known as the Cheaters!!!
Five years is a long time. Different management, different team. Maybe you should get some counseling... No one ever mentions that 2 of our 4 wins in 2017, including game 7 were in Dodger stadium...

Thanks @Saoliver

A bit of oak on top of the regular seagrass. Not bad!

View attachment 1019222

I get seagrass x 10. Everything is amped up and the palate is really rounded compared to the proof. I like seagrass 16 a lot. I’m prob gonna open my 20 soon. Just need to finish a few more bottles

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom