Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (38 Viewers)

20221112_170756.jpg

That’s funny. Regular Buffalo Trace could disappear forever and I wouldn’t care. Its regional scarcity amuses me.
Yeah, first pour tonight. Not as good as I remembered. To be fair, last time I had it was 4 years ago as I started my bourbon adventure and I’m liking $50-$80 bottles these days. Got better with ice, though.

Nice evening for a fire and a BP head's up match : Larceny vs Elijah Craig

View attachment 1022502View attachment 1022503

The Larceny is good (almost like a rye ...) but the ECBP is so much more my jam. This latest batch is fantastic, the bottle has opened up so nicely. Rich and deep but slightly sweet palate, I get dark chocolate and oak char and brown sugar and just a dash of spicey pepper, incredibly well balanced with a finish that just warms and simmers forever. This might be my favorite barch since C920.
I have to agree…easily the best batch since C920
52D221AE-598E-4822-8D35-393E3D13EE72.jpeg

I finished making and sampling my dessert. I can honestly say it would have been punched up appropriately if I had added some bourbon to the filling. There is almost zero liquid in the recipe, though, so it would be a tricky addition. I will sip some bourbon while I figure out how to get more bourbon into my diet.

Got a call today from one of my locals upstate. Said they have a Willett 5 year rye and a Willett 8 year bourbon available…do I want either? I told them I’d definitely love the bourbon if available, and, if no one else wanted it, the rye. He said he was thinking of buying for himself whichever I didn’t want, so I asked “If you’re ok selling the purple top to me, how about I open it in the store and we taste it?”

So he’s holding the purple top for me….

Happy early bday to me, thanks for the trade @joeyshin, it’s joining 2016 and 2020, on the hunt for 2022 now.
2B66B4C6-5826-4D13-971F-6AF82224FDD0.jpeg

What is the rarest bottle you own? Not a store pick/single barrel.

I don’t mean expensive, I don’t mean necessarily old, I just mean rare.

This is mine:
View attachment 1006987

Captain Don’s whisky from Cadushy distillery. Never heard of it? That is because it’s a distillery on a small island in the Caribbean that normally makes rum or other more island friendly spirits. As far as I know this is the only whisky made in the islands. Captain Don was a real person, he brought recreational scuba diving to the island which makes up most of their economy today.

It’s also awful. Like, just terrible.
We went there on our honeymoon in Curaçao/Bonaire! I don’t recall them having a whiskey, if I did try it it was unmemorable/bad, but I did bring back one of their rims that was tasty!

Got a call today from one of my locals upstate. Said they have a Willett 5 year rye and a Willett 8 year bourbon available…do I want either? I told them I’d definitely love the bourbon if available, and, if no one else wanted it, the rye. He said he was thinking of buying for himself whichever I didn’t want, so I asked “If you’re ok selling the purple top to me, how about I open it in the store and we taste it?”

So he’s holding the purple top for me….
Would love to trade something for a sample pour if you get it! Have still never gotten to try a purple top.

A very humble offering compared to most of the posts here. Clearly, you all drink way above my pay-grade! :oops:

AD-Nov-restock.jpeg

In the interest of keeping things "local", an interesting sipper (and mixer) that I stumbled across back in August when taking the brewery/distillery tour at San-Tan the day after a @bergs mini-meetup ,and a bottle of my current go-to for making Manhattan's.

(...and back to spectating and envying what others get to enjoy! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:)

The current “should I keep/open them or trade/sell them” collection. No rush on decision making. The economy doesn’t have me in the poor house yet. My winter energy bills might have something to say about that though lol.

F1034649-BDED-4623-B674-3545B354A92B.jpeg

Last sample from @Saoliver…Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel 129.6p
CB6D0034-F039-4B05-B80E-BD1EAFFA3D44.jpeg
Great nose…brown sugar, barrel char, raisin and just a touch of heat. Damn is this thick and oily! The flavors I get on the nose are super intense on the palate and then the high proof heat shows up. What’s wild is that the heat just about disappeared on the finish leaving a nice drying oak and dark brown sugar. This is awesome!

Am I wrong thinking that the EH Taylor BP is just a touch better though? It’s splitting hairs at this point as they’re both easily the two best pours I’ve ever had! Scott is the man!!

Last sample from @Saoliver…Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel 129.6pView attachment 1022888Great nose…brown sugar, barrel char, raisin and just a touch of heat. Damn is this thick and oily! The flavors I get on the nose are super intense on the palate and then the high proof heat shows up. What’s wild is that the heat just about disappeared on the finish leaving a nice drying oak and dark brown sugar. This is awesome!

Am I wrong thinking that the EH Taylor BP is just a touch better though? It’s splitting hairs at this point as they’re both easily the two best pours I’ve ever had! Scott is the man!!
I do love them both but EHT BP is a little better IMO. I’d put them both just a hair below BTAC.

Last sample from @Saoliver…Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel 129.6pView attachment 1022888Great nose…brown sugar, barrel char, raisin and just a touch of heat. Damn is this thick and oily! The flavors I get on the nose are super intense on the palate and then the high proof heat shows up. What’s wild is that the heat just about disappeared on the finish leaving a nice drying oak and dark brown sugar. This is awesome!

I think I’ve compared these two before, but I can’t remember. So, I was inspired.

25020E25-F3A8-4E9A-8302-710751CC0B05.jpeg

1668402161918.gif

Well…

Blanton’s SFTB is fantastic. It’s Blanton’s turnt up to 11. I can find it online for $250 all day, where it use to be import only.

The EHT BP…

1668402648423.gif

Fuck. Wow. It’s so damn good. It’s dark and beautiful and multi-layered and wonderful. It really is so damn good. Only George T Stagg (which I sadly killed this weekend) and some Stagg Jr can even compare.

The Blanton’s SFTB is like caramel deliciousness. EHT BP is darker and spicier. So. Damn. Good. But the problem is that it’s $300-400 if you are lucky to find it. Luckily, I’ve found it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom