Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (65 Viewers)

I'm planning to visit Islay before the @BonScot meetup next year. My current thinking is to book a rental car at Glasgow airport and pre-book the ferry from Kennacraig to the island. I'll be arriving Sat 17May returning to Glasgow to drop off the car in time for poker start on Thu 22May. Has anyone visited Islay and have some tips to share, places to stay, things to see, etc? Thanks for the help!
We spent a week in the Speyside region, I’m dying to do Islay next time we get over there though, look forward to your trip report!

I'm planning to visit Islay before the @BonScot meetup next year. My current thinking is to book a rental car at Glasgow airport and pre-book the ferry from Kennacraig to the island. I'll be arriving Sat 17May returning to Glasgow to drop off the car in time for poker start on Thu 22May. Has anyone visited Islay and have some tips to share, places to stay, things to see, etc? Thanks for the help!
Went last summer for the Feis Ile which was incredible. Not sure what it's like not during the festival as I heard from folks there that it is very quiet most of the year. Some standouts I remember:

Coal Ila was incredibly beautiful, a great tour a great history, and one of my favorite Islays.

Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Laphroig are all easy to hit in one go. Ardbeg tour and restaurant were solid.

I liked the vibe at Bruichladdy festival a ton but no idea what it's like otherwise. It certainly has the largest open day at the festival and it was quite the party.

I found a lot the food underwhelming (though that's obviously not why you go to Islay) but we enjoyed dinner at the Lochside Hotel which also had a fantastic whiskey offering and the fish and chips at the little pub right when you get off the ferry was great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom