PAHWM: .50/$1 home game #2 Q10 (1 Viewer)

warma

Full House
Reaction score
6-handed, 50¢/$1. $60 buy-in. Casual home game. Not a lot of 3-bets, some post-flop bets getting up to $25 or so, but by and large pots are under $50 with most around $20. New game to me, only two known players, both regulars at my game. Almost 2.5 hours in, coming up on 11pm on a work night. The room has gotten noticeably warmer, 90s grunge music is on, most folks are a couple/few drinks in (my 2 regulars have a good tolerance, I don’t know the others). Seven-Duce game is in effect ($3 per person) with only my 72 showing/winning earlier. Some of the details may be slightly off as I didn’t keep notes.

At the table:
  • SB. Unknown player, called a “good poker player” by the host (apparently the others aren’t). Remarked a few times that he’s playing off because he’s not in his usual seat. (Apparently, they have regular seats and I’m in his.) He seems tired and a bit off at this point. I don’t remember his stack size and he’s not stacking properly, guessing somewhere round $50, plus or minus $20.
  • BB. Unknown player. Said he needed to stay sober for the long drive home. About 2/3 way through his 40oz Miller High Life. He’s been frustrated by continually losing with A3. He announced he folded 72 earlier. He’s bet aggressively a few times, sometimes bumping post-flop bets to $15 and it’s largely not worked for him. He seems to have accepted his fate, looks drained, and is not mentally sharp at this point. He asked to bump the blinds to $1/$2, but no one seconded the motion. He since busted and re-bought (in for $120 total) and is somewhere south of $60.
  • UTG. Great guy and a regular at my game. Had two martinis before arriving and mis-remembered his cards a couple of hands in (losing a ~$20 pot to my high pair). He’s started to bet $10-$15 or more on occasion, sometimes pre-flop. I don’t recall his stack size, but it doesn’t matter here.
  • Hero. He finished his one beer. He’s been showing kinda tight with few aggressive moves. He’s called a few $3 opens, but has folded to larger bets and openly struggled with the fold/call decision on a couple. He won a ~$120 72 pot off a player that since departed. He just won a quick, small pot a few minutes prior to this hand. He’s only shown his cards outside a winning showdown twice: 1) when Dealer said he had nothing as he threw over two low cards, so Hero showed a pair of 6s, before spotting Dealer’s 8s. 2) when Hero bet aggressively after flopping middle set (9s) to take the hand, resulting in the remaining seats quickly folding and BB lamenting about folding his paired Ace. Hero is hot, tired, and thirsty. He’s not on his A-game at this point and is not paying much attention to stack sizes, beyond how folks are trending and keeping an eye on the host. Around 10:45pm, Hero announced he’s be leaving at 11pm. As the time and blinds approach, he clarified that he’ll go after his next deal so as to not mess up the blinds. Clearly the big stack, over $140.
  • CO. Unknown player. Don’t have much of a read on him. Can’t recall his stack.
  • Dealer. He announced earlier he would only raise or fold pre-flop all night and has largely stuck to it, but with more frequent $1 calls as the night goes on. Quick to raise- he’s playing a different level. A good guy in Hero’s books and a regular at Hero’s game. He bets aggressively at the right times, almost always leaving as a winner. He’s also the host, calling the “two-seven” game with a new octagon poker table and a slugged dice chip box set. He’s second biggest stack, around $100.

UTG folds.

Hero looks down and sees :qs::tc:.

Action?

7-handed game from what is effectively the HJ position, this probably merits a first-in raise. Whatever the standard open is works for me. I would probably pick 3. Hard to open for any more imo in what's a shallow buy-in game at 60 BB.

Hero's pot size descriptions make me wonder how profitable speculative hands can be. Average 20bb pots. Maybe it means Hero can steal the villains blind?

I am torn between several lines.

1) Limp in, play fit fold and take your modest profits. Works best at passive tables that are easy to read. One hint would be the expectation that many preflop hands limp multi-way.

2) standard opening raise followed by c-bets. Expecting to get folds often enough that Hero might be able to play any two cards this way The lack of three-bets is encouraging. But we need to get some idea of how many villains are playing fit/fold.

3) fold. QTo is marginal with short stacks. The more tight players, the less I like QT except as a blind stealing candidate. Hate the idea of playing QT knowing any action you get means they have a hand better than Hero.

I am not sure which line I would take. It all depends on the table, villains and hero's image.

One hint would be the expectation that many preflop hands limp multi-way
If not already raised, Dealer raised 99% of the time preflop (unless he folded, obviously). Without him, I suspect preflop raise rate would have been 33%.

Last edited:
Boring answer is fold. QTo is probably a near 0 EV open in utg+1 6max though, so raising and folding are more or less equal options. I'd raise to 3bb here, especially if 3bets are very rare. I'm team never open limp, only limp behind.

Boring answer is fold. QTo is probably a near 0 EV open in utg+1 6max though, so raising and folding are more or less equal options. I'd raise to 3bb here, especially if 3bets are very rare. I'm team never open limp, only limp behind.
I don't hate a fold here to tell the truth. I prefer the raise, personally because this hand is pretty good 7- handed and would play well even against a blind defense calling range.

That said, it's probably on the margins and hero probably not giving up a ton of advantage by passing.

Continued….

Eh. Hero knows better and should fold given what’s been winning, but he senses everyone’s off their game, although Dealer’s still a bully at times. It’s past hero’s intended departure time, he’s tired, and he’s not thinking about what those behind him might do, but he’ll look for a cheap flop just in case.

— —

At the table:

• SB. Unknown player, called a “good poker player” by the host (apparently the others aren’t). Remarked a few times that he’s playing off because he’s not in his usual seat. (Apparently, they have regular seats and I’m in his.) He seems tired and a bit off at this point. I don’t remember his stack size and he’s not stacking properly, guessing somewhere round $50, plus or minus $20.
  • BB. Unknown player. Said he needed to stay sober for the long drive home. About 2/3 way through his 40oz Miller High Life. He’s been frustrated by continually losing with A3. He announced he folded 72 earlier. He’s bet aggressively a few times, sometimes bumping post-flop bets to $15 and it’s largely not worked for him. He seems to have accepted his fate, looks drained, and is not mentally sharp at this point. He asked to bump the blinds to $1/$2, but no one seconded the motion. He since busted and re-bought (in for $120 total) and is somewhere south of $60.
  • Hero. He finished his one beer. He’s been showing kinda tight with few aggressive moves. He’s called a few $3 opens, but have folded to larger bets and openly struggled with the fold/call decision on a couple. He won a ~$120 72 pot off a player that since departed. He’s only shown his cards outside a winning showdown twice: 1) when Dealer said he had nothing as he threw over two low cards, so Hero showed a pair of 6s, before spotting Dealer’s 8s. 2) when Hero bet aggressively after flopping middle set (9s) to take the hand, resulting in the remaining seats quickly folding and BB lamenting about folding his paired Ace. Hero is big stack by a bit at this point and the adrenaline is wearing off. He’s hot, tired, and thirsty. He’s not on his A-game at this point and is not paying attention to stack sizes, beyond how folks are trending and keeping an eye on the host. He was planning to leave at 10:30pm, but found it necessary to stay after winning the large 72 pot hand. Around 10:45pm, He announced he’s be leaving at 11pm. As the time and blinds approach, he clarifies that he’ll go after his deal so as to not mess up the blinds. He clearly the big stack, over $140.
  • Dealer. He announced earlier he would only raise or fold pre-flop all night and has largely stuck to it, but with more frequent $1 calls as the night goes on. Quick to raise- he’s playing a different level. A good guy in Hero’s books and a regular at Hero’s game. He bets aggressively at the right times, almost always leaving as a winner. He’s also the host, calling the “two-seven” game with a new octagon poker table and a slugged dice chip box set. He’s second biggest stack, around $100.
UTG folds

Hero looks down and sees :qs::tc:

— Continued —

Hero calls $1.

CO calls.
Dealer raises to $3. (Of course)
SB calls.
BB calls.

Hero?

I don't really hate the limp even if it's my 3rd choice of action. But hero definitely didn't limp with the intention of folding to a standard raise against a LAG on the button. Flip the two bucks in and see if you catch something. 5 way pot so pot odds are more than fine to just play fit or fold here. Potential for a big win for a small call.

Continued…

$3 bets calls at this point are standard and don’t give anything away. Hero doesn’t have a plan beyond hoping for a good flop.

— —

At the table:

• Hero. He finished his one beer. He’s been showing kinda tight with few aggressive moves. He’s called a few $3 opens, but have folded to larger bets and openly struggled with the fold/call decision on a couple. He won a ~$120 72 pot off a player that since departed. He’s only shown his cards outside a winning showdown twice: 1) when Dealer said he had nothing as he threw over two low cards, so Hero showed a pair of 6s, before spotting Dealer’s 8s. 2) when Hero bet aggressively after flopping middle set (9s) to take the hand, resulting in the remaining seats quickly folding and BB lamenting about folding his paired Ace. Hero is big stack by a bit at this point and the adrenaline is wearing off. He’s hot, tired, and thirsty. He’s not on his A-game at this point and is not paying attention to stack sizes, beyond how folks are trending and keeping an eye on the host. He was planning to leave at 10:30pm, but found it necessary to stay after winning the large 72 pot hand. Around 10:45pm, He announced he’s be leaving at 11pm. As the time and blinds approach, he clarifies that he’ll go after his deal so as to not mess up the blinds. He clearly the big stack, over $140.
UTG folds

Hero calls $1.

CO calls.
SB calls.
BB calls.

— Continued —

Hero calls.

CO calls.

Pot is $15.

5 players.

Flop comes :6d::jh::ah:

SB checks.
BB bets $5.

Hero?

Continued…

$3 bets calls at this point are standard and don’t give anything away. Hero doesn’t have a plan beyond hoping for a good flop.

— —

At the table:

UTG folds

Hero calls $1.

CO calls.
SB calls.
BB calls.

— Continued —

Hero calls.

CO calls.

Pot is $15.

5 players.

SB checks.
BB bets $5.

Hero?
Clear fold for me. 4 outs to a gutshot, only 3 are clean, and someone other than the preflop raiser is interested. The bet from BB should be considered at least medium strength (Ax or better, maybe a flush draw at worst.)

It's just hard to believe none of the 4 other hands in play have an ace,which means if you continue you have to spike a king and one of those may not even be clean.

That said, no one folds the flop in a strategy thread...

Fold - not only does Hero have to catch the gut-shot but then fade the redraws (if any).

Hero makes his hand 8% - 9% on the turn a quarter of Hero's prospective equity is tainted by the flushing king. Hero risks $5, hoping to draw cheap but even then, Hero needs to win ~$60 just to break even. Basically, Hero has to hit the gut shot and then stack someone to break even on the risk. Oh - and not get run down by a redraw.

And if Hero does make his hand, there are the RIO risks from the redraw --or-- on the flushing king, Hero might be drawing dead and still shoveling chips in the pot.

We all appreciate the rush of run good. Perhaps hero has a really good feeling. The call isn't a devastating mistake. Maybe something like -$2.50 EV. losing a couple of BB seems harmless. But mistakes like this will rapidly drain wins rates below zero. This sort of leak should be easy enough to fix.

I guess Hero could get wild and crazy with a 3-bet. Multiway action on a moderately wet board and shallow stacks seems to suggest this plan might not be best. Perhaps the villains can be sent running for cover?

Not for me - fold and move on to the next hand -=- DrStrange

Fold for me. Too many people in a wet flop that didn’t go my way. Threw in an extra $2 pre-flop to see flop on decent pot odds now it’s time to throw away. BB’s $5 raise brings pot to $20 which don’t give you the correct odds and a call from you gives everyone else better odds to stay along for the ride and they are likely already ahead of you.

Continued…

OK, we’re all in agreement, 100% fold. And that’s exactly what I should have done.

But before the flop came, Hero decided to continue. No thought on chances or who might have what. Just…screw it. (Hero readily acknowledges this is BAD poker strategy.)

— —

Relevant parties at the table:
UTG folds

Hero calls $1.

CO calls.
Dealer raises to $3.
SB calls.
BB calls.
Hero calls.
CO calls.

Pot is $15.
5 players.

SB checks.
BB bets $5.

— Continued —

Hero snap calls.

Folds around.

Pot is $25.
Hero is heads up with BB.

Turn is :5s:
Board is :6d::jh::ah: :5s:

BB is visibly unsure of himself.
BB checks.

Hero?

Hmmm. Any middling pocket pairs that haven’t made a set are going to have to fold to a bet here, and you could even get Kx of heart hands that are currently beating you and drawing to fold as well. I think I’m betting like $15-20 here.

I’m torn between getting a free peak at another card and throwing out a feeler bet $10-$15 just to assess the situation. He may have A-rag and slowing down after your snap call. I’d probably lean to throwing out a bet vs calling and see if you can get a fold out of him.

BB checks.
Interesting. So for value hands, I am going put BB on a mid ace here that he would be unsure about after hero calling, or maybe he decided to donk like KJ or QJ into this many players and is backing off now that hero called. As for drawing hands in BB range, I think a flush draw makes a ton of sense as well and he has decided not to continue the semi-bluff on the turn.

If BB has what I would put in the value range here, hero is probably burning money by betting a rather innocuous turn card. But if BB has a draw, then q-hi may be the best hand or at the very least be drawing very live here.

I think I check here and take the free pull and plan to consider all options on the river whether we improve or not. If we improve on the river to a straight we will bet. If we improve to a queen, we can probably check or call a bet and win some showdowns. If we catch a scare card whether it improves us or not, we can consider a river bluff if we are checked to. That would tell a better story against a BB that is playing this as a low-medium strength hand.

So in short, I don't think we can tell a good story on the turn to make a bluff worthwhile, but I think there may be good stories to be told on the river depending on the card that comes off.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Any middling pocket pairs that haven’t made a set are going to have to fold to a bet here, and you could even get Kx of heart hands that are currently beating you and drawing to fold as well. I think I’m betting like $15-20 here.
I really don't think any heart hands are folding here. Kx heart hands in particular are going to call for sure. (And the better ones of these are also gutshots.) Pocket pairs might fold, but then it becomes a question of if he would donk bet that into 5 players on the flop. I really think villain's range here is mostly Ax, with some hearts and maybe some better Jx hands if he's betting flop loosely. He can probably have the set of 6s sometimes too, and his turn check is a trap. But any other pairs just don't make sense for donking into 4 players facing an A and J as overcards on this board.

Given the comments @warma has provided, BB feels like a frustrated player. But frustrated players don't always make good bluffing targets when we suspect they have some value. Frustration is often a calling motivation, so bluff with caution.

Bottom line, I don't think villain is folding anything he was willing to bet flop with just because the :5s: hit the turn. To bluff this player, I think we need a good scare card and the :5s: isn't it. I did allude to some bluffing possibilities on this river if we get the right card in my other post. To add an example, if we think villain likely has Ax, then we know he doesn't make a flush if a 3rd heart comes on the river. Bluffing a heart river tells a better story than hero trying to say the :5s: helped him. (That said, even betting a good scare card might still get us stationed.)

Check the turn, we'll improve sometimes, and we might get bluffing opportunities other times. But I think hero would be just bloating the pot with the worst of it by betting the turn.

I really don't think any heart hands are folding here. Kx heart hands in particular are going to call for sure. (And the better ones of these are also gutshots.) Pocket pairs might fold, but then it becomes a question of if he would donk bet that into 5 players on the flop. I really think villain's range here is mostly Ax, with some hearts and maybe some better Jx hands if he's betting flop loosely. He can probably have the set of 6s sometimes too, and his turn check is a trap. But any other pairs just don't make sense for donking into 4 players facing an A and J as overcards on this board.
Yeah, it would be bizarre to donk on this flop with a pocket pair, I agree. Ace-rag does seem so likely the more I think about it.

I find myself in these spots a lot…asking myself “WTF did I just do?? HTF did I get here??”…and in those spots, I usually announce something dumb like “well, I know I can at least beat 72” or “ok, let’s see a safe river”…and then either flip in 1/2-2/3 pot bet, or check.

Given the way this has played out so far, I like the check. Betting $15 definitely an option, but given the spirit of the BB, I don’t think he’s folding much, and I’d prefer check and then to stab at the river

Well it gets interesting now, him betting the flop then checking this relatively safe card makes me wonder if he is on a flush draw, or he could be feeling out the table with Jx in hand, and is slowing down due to his last bet being quickly called. I can see times where you could possibly get someone to give up weaker holding here with a bet, but with such weak holdings yourself a free care seems really nice. I’m probably split in this spot, I’d say 85% of the time I’d check and take the free card, and the others I’d bet to see if I could take it now. Given this exact situation I’d likely check and see what the river brings and asses from there.

In addition to A-rag, I could also easily expect him being on a flush draw and made a semi-bluff on the flop to build up the pot and slowing down when another heart didn’t appear on the turn. I think a $10-$15 bet here gives some solid info to assess and may even induce a fold.

This situation is very villain / table / table image dependent. But there are several reasons not to try a bluff:

The 7-2 game is on.

Hero has already bluffed his way to victory tonight with 7-2

Stacks are shallow - the threat of a huge river bet isn't a factor.

What story is Hero trying to sell? Slow played set? Made two-pair on the turn with 65s or A5 preflop?

If Hero wants to try a stinky bluff - let's try it on the river after a brick. Make whiffed draws call hero down with no pair. Or perhaps get a fold out of middle pair.

By the way - I see a river heart followed by a villain check as a prime place to try a bluff to fold out ace-rag

Hero gets a gifted card. Say "thank you" and take it. reevaluate on the river -=- DrStrange

Continued…

A couple of common approaches above. I think the hardest part of the PAHWM thread is conveying the intangibles.

The turn didn’t help Hero. While Hero was on autopilot, BB’s pause causes Hero to snap out of it and start thinking. It’s full-on table read time, damn the cards, play the player.

Hero assesses BB: Is BB bluffing, going for a check-raise? Hero thinks not. BB’s down a bunch and nervous. BB’s had bad luck all night and has been continuously pessimistic- like he can’t win, even with an Ace. Confident at the flop, really scared by a quick call. Hero suspects BB has Ax… and even with an Ace, BB always looses, so Aces are poison to him. Hero also suspects BB’s $5 bet was to push out draws.

What does Hero rep? Hero thinks it doesn’t matter; what matters is that BB created a story in his mind and Hero just needs to slide into it: Hero has a really strong hand, independent of the 5, and is coming for BB.

Hero decides to bet, believing if he checks, Hero signals weakness and might give BB and BB’s stronger hand the reassurance needed to win.

Hero’s no sizing master. His large bully-bluff bet on 72 not half an hour ago triggered a long conversation about its size (pushing people off stronger hands), so Hero is worried BB might remember and down sizes.

— —

Relevant parties at the table:
UTG folds

Hero calls $1.

CO calls.
Dealer raises to $3.
SB calls.
BB calls.
Hero calls.
CO calls.

Pot is $15.
5 players.

SB checks.
BB bets $5.
Hero snap calls.
Folds around.

Pot is $25.
Hero is heads up with BB.

Turn is :5s:
Board is :6d::jh::ah: :5s:

BB checks.

— Continued —

Hero bets $8 because it’s less lazy than two $5 chips.

BB insta mucks.

Hero doesn’t show and takes the $33 pot.

BB starts talking. He reveals he was super excited about his hand, but Hero’s snap call really spooked him. BB took it for considerable strength and felt he was way behind. BB doesn’t mention what he thinks Hero had, indicating it more of an emotional decision, rather than a GTO decision.

The funny thing is… Hero’s snap call wasn’t at all intentional. Hero wasn’t really thinking and was throwing money in the pot with no strategy beyond Lady Luck. The seeming speed of the snap call was just a byproduct of Hero having already decided to continue and Hero’s autopilot efficiency. So to BB, it seemed like a snap call. Just dumb luck, but Hero saw the opening and took advantage of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom