PAHWM: .50/1 home NLHE 7-2 game (2 Viewers)

warma

Full House
Reaction score
7-handed, 50¢/$1. $60 buy-in. New game to me, only two known players, both regulars at my game. Around two hours in. Seven-Duce game is in effect ($3 per person) with no winners yet. Some of the details may be slightly off as I didn’t keep notes.

At the table:
  • SB. Unknown player. It’s his 50th birthday the following day and he’s excited about his Acura NSX rental to celebrate. He’s thrown his money around early, and won a few hands, but had a big loss and has been leaking for a bit. He’s around $60.
  • BB. He announced earlier he would only raise or fold pre-flop all night and has largely stuck to it. Quick to raise- he’s playing a different level. A good guy in my books, he’s regular at my game and bets aggressively, almost always leaving as a winner. He’s above $60. He’s also the host, calling the “two-seven” game with a new octagon poker table and a slugged dice chip box set.
  • UTG. Unknown player, called a “good poker player” by the host (apparently the others aren’t. Remarked a few times that he’s playing off because he’s not in his usual seat. (Apparently, they have regular seats and I’m in his.) He’s around $50-60.
  • MP. Unknown player. Said he needed to stay sober for the long drive home. About 1/2 way through his 40oz Miller High Life. He’s under $40 and has been frustrated by continually losing with A3.
  • HJ. Great guy and a regular at my game. Had two martinis before arriving and mis-remembered his cards a couple of hands in (losing a ~$20 pot to my high pair). He’s loose with his cards when looking and I have to actively not look. He’s somewhere around $50.
  • CO. Hero. I’ve been showing kinda tight with few aggressive moves. I’ve only shown my cards outside a winning showdown twice: 1) when HJ said he had nothing as he threw over two low cards, so I showed a pair of 6s, before spotting his pair of 8s. 2) when I bet aggressively after flopping middle set (9s) to take the hand, resulting in the remaining seats quickly folding and MP lamenting about folding his paired ace. Sitting on $47.50.
  • Dealer. Unknown player. Don’t have much of a read on him. Can’t recall his stack. I keep worrying his right elbow is going to knock over my beer bottle.

UTG: Raises to $3.
MP: Calls.
HJ: Folds.

Hero: Looks at :7c::2s:. Action?

fold. Hero makes a $18 bonus if he wins with 7-2 on top of $50+ if he goes for it and wins with action. he likely loses $47.50 on trying to bluff his way to victory.

Table conditions can make this decision very situational.

I don't hate a call if Hero has hopes of seeing a cheap flop. maybe he can steal the pot on a table wide airball. Or maybe he can go wild with bottom pair no kicker and run everyone off the pot. Or maybe burn $50.

I'm no fun, I mostly ignore the 7-2 game. Except maybe jamming the top 2% hands and hope someone has to play sheriff to protect against paying out the bounty.

Love the reads - what does BB think of you flat calling in CO? Weird? If they have you pegged as tight, does that mean 3bets are rare or never? Im wondering how loud a 3bet to $10 would be.

If he's the one that called the 7deuce game, is he more aware when they show up? You said it was called but hadnt been paid, wondering if people had forgotten about it or had been mentioning it.

7-2 game is all about position and reads. The small reward is never worth the risk against real hands

Love the reads - what does BB think of you flat calling in CO? Weird? If they have you pegged as tight, does that mean 3bets are rare or never? Im wondering how loud a 3bet to $10 would be.

If he's the one that called the 7deuce game, is he more aware when they show up? You said it was called but hadnt been paid, wondering if people had forgotten about it or had been mentioning it.
Pre-flop was mostly $1, $3, or $5 bets, with others 3-betting occasionally. I hadn’t 3-bet pre-flop at this point. Lots of folds, several $1 and $3 calls. I had bet $3 pre-flop a few times, but not more.

Host introduced 72 at a previous game, and adds it at some point in the evening. So it’s a regular thing, apparently. Someone folded 72 earlier and announced it after the hand.

[Edit: that someone was MP.]

Last edited:
If a position raise gets everyone to fold and you sweep the antes then the extra 7-2 penalty is profitable

Last edited:
Continued….

It’s the conundrum @DrStrange hit upon.

A $3 opening is common, and nothing seems off ahead of Hero. UTG likely has something, but Hero’s not sold. Hero doesn’t read MP as a threat; Hero feels MP’s not in a winning mindset after complaining about his bad luck with A3. Hero is out of position with two bullies behind. He’s not sure 72 will hold.

But…

Hero wants to have fun, see if he can make this work without getting too far over his skis. Hero thinks about it, and believes a 3-bet would be unusual and might incite BB to come over the top again if BB has something, at which point Hero would have to bail. It’s still a home game with friends and there have been a few family pots, and Hero sees his best option here is to keep it that way until he can better assess things.

Hero gives his standard “sure, I’ll play” non-threatening vibe hoping to avoid triggering BB.

——

7-handed, 50¢/$1. $60 buy-in. New game to me, only two known players, both regulars at my game. Around two hours in. Seven-Duce game is in effect ($3 per person) with no winners yet. Some of the details may be slightly off as I didn’t keep notes.

Relevant folks at the table:
  • SB. Unknown player. It’s his 50th birthday the following day and he’s excited about his Acura NSX rental to celebrate. He’s been playful with his chips (bets largely with 50¢ chips, plays dumb on how many chips), egging on the host all evening. He’s thrown his money around early, and won a few hands, but had a big loss and has been leaking for a bit. He’s around $60.
  • BB. He announced earlier he would only raise or fold pre-flop all night and has largely stuck to it. Quick to raise- he’s playing a different level. A good guy in my books, he’s regular at my game and bets aggressively, almost always leaving as a winner. He’s above $60. He’s also the host, calling the “two-seven” game with a new octagon poker table and a slugged dice chip box set.
  • UTG. Unknown player, called a “good poker player” by the host (apparently the others aren’t. Remarked a few times that he’s playing off because he’s not in his usual seat. (Apparently, they have regular seats and I’m in his.) He’s around $50-60.
  • MP. Unknown player. Said he needed to stay sober for the long drive home. About 1/2 way through his 40oz Miller High Life. He’s under $40 and has been frustrated by continually losing with A3.

Hero: looks down and sees :7c: :2s:.

— Continued —

Hero calls.

Dealer: Folds.
SB: Calls.
BB: Calls.

Pot is $15

Flop: :6d::8h::td:

Checks around to Hero.

Hero?

Last edited:
Continued…

Hero’s been tight, save for a hand or two. He has the 72, a gutshot straight draw, and a board that probably doesn’t suit anyone. But with a semi-friendly pot and variety in skill levels, ranges are likely wider than he’d like.

Check-raises in this game are rare, mostly coming from HJ (who folded) and BB. The board doesn’t work well with BB’s usual range of high starting hands and Hero thinks BB missed. Hero senses weakness in UTG, he might be tired or something, but Hero can’t articulate it, just a feeling.

Hero looks at his stack of 8 $5s and some 50¢ chips. Ugh. He’s likely busting and heading home if this doesn’t work. But that’s ok as we’re at his intended departure time.

However… Hero’s having fun and is surprisingly not tired after a long day. Possibly the adrenaline of poker. $60 for a beer and a couple of hours of entertainment is a bit rich, but to heck with it. With no alarms going off for his primary risks (BB & UTG), Hero gives himself the green light to bully and take the pot here.

Now how to size? Too small or too large, and Hero believes most will call and chase (too small) or one or two stronger hands will call, possibly putting Hero all in (too big), especially by BB because it seems BB likes to muscle people when he wants.

——

Relevant folks remaining at the table:
  • SB. Unknown player. It’s his 50th birthday the following day and he’s excited about his Acura NSX rental to celebrate. He’s been playful with his chips (bets largely with 50¢ chips, plays dumb on how many chips), egging on the host all evening. He’s thrown his money around early, and won a few hands, but had a big loss and has been leaking for a bit. He’s around $60.

Hero: looks down and sees :7c::2s:

Hero calls.

Pot is $15

Checks around to Hero.

— Continued —

Hero splits his stack of $5 chips and bets $20.

The bet throws folks off. It came pretty quick, the above calculations flashing quickly in Hero’s mind, likely because he wanted to do this. There are visible signs of surprise from everyone in the hand. It’s clear they can’t figure out what Hero has. Hero’s in the clear.

SB thinks about it for a bit calls.

Damn.

Folds back around.

Pot is $55

Turn is a :4c:

Board shows: :6d::8h::td::4c:

Hero?

do you want to live forever? Come on, dust off the rest of the stack. double belly buster draw if Hero is called. Very roughly 20% equity unless villain already has the straight. Plus, there is an $18 overlay from the 7-2 prop bet.

And if it all goes wrong, Hero will have a good story -=- DrStrange

Continued…

Hero’s perplexed by SB’s call, having had mistakenly discounted him. SB’s been a tough read. Some strong wins, some bad hands, some silly chip play. Hero needs to figure out who he’s playing against. Is this a good winning player, the happy birthday boy having fun, or is he not a good player and just been lucky?

Hero looks at his stack and sees $24.50. SB covers Hero, but not by much. It’s hard to tell with SB’s messy piles of red chips, but he’ll be very short if he loses. It’s unlikely the 4 scares him. Would SB be scared off a flush? It doesn’t really matter. It’s too late for Hero. He’s human and sticks with his decision, having already decided he wants to make this happen.

——

Relevant folks remaining at the table:

Hero: looks down and sees :7c::2s:

Hero calls.

Pot is $15

Checks around to Hero.
Hero bets $20.
SB calls.
Folds back around.

Pot is $55

Turn is :4c:

Board shows: :6d::8h::td: :4c:

— Continued —

Hero: picks up his small stack of $24.50 and goes all-in.

SB pauses for a few seconds and calls.

Pot is $104

Hero doesn’t want to show first—Schrödinger’s cards—and reluctantly turn over his :7c::2s:.

The table’s amazed that Hero has 72. BB, UTG, and MP say the large and unusual bet from Hero spooked them. MP said he thought Hero might have 72 given Hero’s sizing, but wasn’t confident enough in his hand and reminds the table that he folded 72 earlier.

They’re impressed with Hero, focused on the ballsy 72 play.

SB shows :as::th:

Hero’s in trouble.

The table sees what Hero sees: SB is ahead with 10s and the mood shifts.

UTG states he had a stronger hand and would be winning. He’s frustrated.

The board is perpendicular to Hero. River comes :9h:, with the card a bit crooked and awkwardly placed on the far end of the table from Hero.

Hero was holding his breath and let it out, resigned that he lost, beat by 10s.

Everyone at the table missed it, primed to think Hero would lose. Everyone thinks SB wins with a pair of 10s, until Hero, staring at the cards, willing them to work, finally sees it.

As SB leans in to collect the pot, Hero announces the straight. It takes a second, and the table still doesn’t see it. He shows them, putting his 7 between the 6 and 8 and tapping on 5 cards in order.

The board shows: :6d::8h::td: :4c: :9h:

And then they see it, too.

SB is crushed after thinking he won, but accepts it after studying the cards for a bit longer.

Hero takes the $104 pot plus $18 and decides the polite thing to do is to stick around a bit longer.

SB lasts two more hands before busting out once and for all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom