The Concert Thread (3 Viewers)

Did UB40 play King ?
Nope - I was actually quite disappointed initially - Shaggy was very high energy and then UB40 (Ali Campbell) played a bunch of other people’s songs and it wasn’t that engaging. They were off stage for about 5 minutes before the encore when they played Falling in Love, Kingston Town and Red Red Wine - I left happy!

Closed with Rock Lobster. All the staples: Love Shack, Roam, Private Idaho, Channel Z, Planet Claire, Dead Beat Club. No June Bug or Whammy Kiss. Good show, but they are looking tired these days.

21Pilots tonight. GA filled up fast. Front row seats to my right are roped off due to pryotechnics, so the gamble is officially on!

F8A92D65-FA00-4CF3-ACD2-DE272C352A57.jpeg
680D3850-9B3C-41A7-B543-03E9DADB799C.jpeg
B64729D2-F6C7-48E0-83BE-F1A6ECD3C3EA.jpeg
E015FDFB-E6E8-4B85-AA79-47EEF52E52E9.jpeg

20D827C4-A46A-41F9-A6AC-FE709E03FEEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Last night was the second concert for my Trey... Not sure what show on the tour this was for Phish's Trey... My Trey really enjoyed the show, though.

I took MY WIFE (Borat voice) and a couple we like to hang out with to see The Wood Brothers last weekend. 10 out of 10! We saw them at The Filmore in Philadelphia. Highly recommend checking checking those dudes out.

Ben book warning!! YE BE WARNED FOR REALZ THIS TIME! HAHA

#27 is about to happen! Jimmy Buffet live at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md!!
20220719_184048.jpg

#27 is the # of times I have seen Jimmy!

At a ripe age of 15 I started working at this venue... my high school is about 7 minutes down the street. Concert ticket checking was an absolutely amazing summer job. That first year one weekend they told us we had to be at work at 06:00... we were all like what the F**king for? They said... "it's Buffet weekend, are you kidding me?"

I get to work and we are literally standing out on the street telling people they can't stop, it was a non stop circle around the Pavillion for hours. Literally people filled the beds of their trucks with sand and water, beach chairs, pouring margaritas, you name it! I had never seen so many DUI arrests right infront of me ever! And they didn't care, they didn't stop drinking... the show went on!

That evening I transfered into a stub checking position next to the lawn. Basically the split between the seated section and the party crowd. It was pouring down rain... but the ladies were in grass skirts and coconut bras!

At one point I stop and look to my right and there were 6... I repeat 6 people (3 couples) butt naked and fornicating in the mud about 10 ft away from me... I literally stopped checking ticket stubs looked up at the kids dancing and singing drenched from the rain. I said to myself "this is where I was meant to be in life!" I worked 2 Buffet shows a year here, rode on a bus down to VA and volunteered to work the Buffet shows at Nissan Pavilion now "Jiffy Lube Live" so 4 times a year helped rack up the total of seeing Jimmy pretty quick.

Jimmy quit playing Merriweather 19 years ago now because of their rules of tailgating and he said it wasn't a good venue for fans to fully enjoy his concerts. I went to Hersey PA, Virginia and anywhere locally I could see him for years. Got to see him at Nissan one year on my Birthday Sept 4th... any idea what holiday that is? "Headed up from San Frasicso for the Labor Day Weekend Show, i got my hush pupies on, i never was much for glitter, rock n roll!" Literally cried during "Come Monday" Jimmy had a concert just for me it felt like!

Well... today is the day! Jimmy returns home to where I not only first saw him but shook his hand and thanked him back stage when his bouncer handed a 16 year old kid a case of Coronas in the box filled with ice, said "I know your age kid but thanks for watching the gear and enjoy this!"
20220719_184021.jpg

Tearing up... chills in my soul! I turn forty in less than 7 weeks! "A pirate looks at forty" my absolute favorite Buffet song ever. (I mean I have a $10,000 tattoo on my entire sternum dedicated to this song)

this is almost too good to be true... 19 years away and he comes back weeks before my 40th? Sad that I know this will be over in a few hours but @FordPickup92 somehow managed to score me the best Buffet seats I have ever had. In less than an hour Jimmy will be right there singing! I know his years left touring are absolutely limited... thus could be the last time. But he made it back at least one last time!

There is another thread about a "time machine to go back and see one concert" I fear that in 20 years the concert I would go back to will be tonight... I don't want it to end!

The Parrot heads are simply the greatest fans in the world! Yall see a hundred pictures of me holding Landshark beers! I have spent my entire life becoming one of "these" people. Our as Jimmy would say "we are the people our parents warned us about!"

I think I can die a happy man after tonight, thank you for ALL the amazing shows Mr. BUFFET! It has been an honor being one of your followers all these years.

Tagging my people @ParrotheadMZ and @Parrothedd !! Fins up high this evening gentleman!!

Also @k9dr the Fauna has begun sir! Lmao
20220719_192201.jpg

Anyone that knows me knows music is my life... this IS my one time. This pirate is staring at 40 Jimmy!

Those that don't know the song

#27 is about to happen! Jimmy Buffet live at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md!!
View attachment 952275

At a ripe age of 15 I started working at this venue... my high school is about 7 minutes down the street. Concert ticket checking was an absolutely amazing summer job. That first year one weekend they told us we had to be at work at 06:00... we were all like what the F**king for? They said... "it's Buffet weekend, are you kidding me?"

I get to work and we are literally standing out on the street telling people they can't stop, it was a non stop circle around the Pavillion for hours. Literally people filled the beds of their trucks with sand and water, beach chairs, pouring margaritas, you name it! I had never seen so many DUI arrests right infront of me ever! And they didn't care, they didn't stop drinking... the show went on!

That evening I transfered into a stub checking position next to the lawn. Basically the split between the seated section and the party crowd. It was pouring down rain... but the ladies were in grass skirts and coconut bras!

At one point I stop and look to my right and there were 6... I repeat 6 people (3 couples) butt naked and fornicating in the mud about 10 ft away from me... I literally stopped checking ticket stubs looked up at the kids dancing and singing drenched from the rain. I said to myself "this is where I was meant to be in life!" I worked 2 Buffet shows a year here, rode on a bus down to VA and volunteered to work the Buffet shows at Nissan Pavilion now "Jiffy Lube Live" so 4 times a year helped rack up the total of seeing Jimmy pretty quick.

Jimmy quit playing Merriweather 19 years ago now because of their rules of tailgating and he said it wasn't a good venue for fans to fully enjoy his concerts. I went to Hersey PA, Virginia and anywhere locally I could see him for years. Got to see him at Nissan one year on my Birthday Sept 4th... any idea what holiday that is? "Headed up from San Frasicso for the Labor Day Weekend Show, i got my hush pupies on, i never was much for glitter, rock n roll!" Literally cried during "Come Monday" Jimmy had a concert just for me it felt like!

Well... today is the day! Jimmy returns home to where I not only first saw him but shook his hand and thanked him back stage when his bouncer handed a 16 year old kid a case of Coronas in the box filled with ice, said "I know your age kid but thanks for watching the gear and enjoy this!"
View attachment 952284
Tearing up... chills in my soul! I turn forty in less than 7 weeks! "A pirate looks at forty" my absolute favorite Buffet song ever. (I mean I have a $10,000 tattoo on my entire sternum dedicated to this song)

this is almost too good to be true... 19 years away and he comes back weeks before my 40th? Sad that I know this will be over in a few hours but @FordPickup92 somehow managed to score me the best Buffet seats I have ever had. In less than an hour Jimmy will be right there singing! I know his years left touring are absolutely limited... thus could be the last time. But he made it back at least one last time!

There is another thread about a "time machine to go back and see one concert" I fear that in 20 years the concert I would go back to will be tonight... I don't want it to end!

The Parrot heads are simply the greatest fans in the world! Yall see a hundred pictures of me holding Landshark beers! I have spent my entire life becoming one of "these" people. Our as Jimmy would say "we are the people our parents warned us about!"

I think I can die a happy man after tonight, thank you for ALL the amazing shows Mr. BUFFET! It has been an honor being one of your followers all these years.

Tagging my people @ParrotheadMZ and @Parrothedd !! Fins up high this evening gentleman!!

View attachment 952296

Anyone that knows me knows music is my life... this IS my one time. This pirate is staring at 40 Jimmy!

You son of a (son of a sailor)! Enjoy your cheeseburger in paradise. Hope you don’t blow out a flip flop and step on a pop top.

Side note: My dad could only play two songs on guitar, and only when drunk: Freebird (not the solos) and Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw?

Re: the fauna above, what's even the point of wearing shorts if you're going to ride them up to above the butt cheeks? If you want to show off, don't even bother, just wear a g-string and call it a day :unsure:

Anyway, back on topic, I've seen Bon Jovi, Springsteen (x 3), U2, Guns N' Roses, Billy Joel, Eve 6, Ed Sheeran (was a date night, don't judge me), and many many others live, but the most electric experience I've had was The Gaslight Anthem at Webster Hall in 2012 (I think). It was the night that what turned out to be their most successful album came out. They started the show with a slow song from their new album. Stunned silence like "holy shit that was really good" at the end of the song, and then huge cheers. The place became unglued when the cover song for the album that was much faster and more upbeat came on next. Even though the album had just come out that day, the place was filled with the diehards and the whole place was shouting that next song (their best known song) at the top of their lungs. There were times I honestly felt the floor was going to collapse and the roof was going to be blown off of the place. Constant energy from the band all night long and the crowd was the most into a show than I've ever been to, and I've been to three Springsteen shows at Giants Stadium/Metlife.

God, I can't believe this was 10 years ago. Found a video from that night (not mine). I'm probably in this video a few times but it's hard to make out with 2012 camera phone video quality ( I was 3 or 4 rows of people back, dead center, from the lead singer on stage).

Last edited:

View attachment 952275

View attachment 952284

View attachment 952296

Enjoy the show Ben! Live music is a beautiful thing. Buffet shows always a fun crowd!

Use to be my thing for years (hundreds upon hundred of concerts). Of course, that’s probably a major reason I have tenitus. I wear earplugs now. Outdoor shows are better.

Enjoy!

Ha! Small world moment...

I was 40 years old when my first wife and I got divorced in Maryland. My favorite hangout was a place called Gallagher's pub, on Connecticut Ave. in DC. A good friend was a musician who ran the open mike there on Wednesday nights. He knew all my favorite songs, and whenever I walked in during his sound check or first set, he'd instantly stop whichever of his original songs he was playing and launch into Pirate Looks at Forty. He knew how important that was to me...

I've said many times that in retrospect, and in many ways, your forties are the best years of your life, by far. Look ahead, and make the most of them, Ben!

(Merriwether Post and Wolf Trap -- tough to beat. Guess where I was when Jackson Browne recorded Load Out and Stay!)

Ha! Small world moment...

I was 40 years old when my first wife and I got divorced in Maryland. My favorite hangout was a place called Gallagher's pub, on Connecticut Ave. in DC. A good friend was a musician who ran the open mike there on Wednesday nights. He knew all my favorite songs, and whenever I walked in during his sound check or first set, he'd instantly stop whichever of his original songs he was playing and launch into Pirate Looks at Forty. He knew how important that was to me...

I've said many times that in retrospect, and in many ways, your forties are the best years of your life, by far. Look ahead, and make the most of them, Ben!

(Merriwether Post and Wolf Trap -- tough to beat. Guess where I was when Jackson Browne recorded Load Out and Stay!)
I would have loved to been at Merriwether for Jackson Brown Larry. I can only imagine what a show that must have been. Only concert I attended there was the Allman Brothers Band (with Dickie Betts) in 1996.

Merriwether is a great venue and I should have tried to attend more shows there. It was always more convenient going to Nissan Pavilion or The Caps Center when I was going to concerts way back when.

I would have loved to been at Merriwether for Jackson Brown Larry. I can only imagine what a show that must have been. Only concert I attended there was the Allman Brothers Band (with Dickie Betts) in 1996.

Merriwether is a great venue and I should have tried to attend more shows there. It was always more convenient going to Nissan Pavilion or The Caps Center when I was going to concerts way back when.
I was working that Allman Brothers concert brother! That was the year I was hired here! Such an amazing place!

Right now!
20220719_220344.jpg

"We are the people our parents warned us about!"

Had my cry for a Pirate Looks at Forty... recorded the whole thing. Safe forever!

That's amazing @pltrgyst we are twinsies brother!! BTW working off Nebraska right now! Driving d skinny Connecticut in every morning and screeching tires on the curbs in the right lane coming out every day! Haha good times

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom