Things That Are Bullsh*t (10 Viewers)

Here's what will happen...when enough of this keeps happening they will create a separate division based on the testing. I commend you for supporting this boxer. Hopefully in the future there won't be a need to squabble.

Season 9 Goodbye GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Maybe sports needs to take a page from the poker playbook.

No-limit whateva:
No rules, run whatcha brung, wide open for max performance. Drugs, robotics, cutting-edge technology. Requires death waiver to protect organizers.

Limit whateva:
Fixed and clearly defined rules, including sex categories (Male, Female, Other), no drugs or artificial additives, and maybe even training limits, too.

Amateur whateva:
Average Joe category. Must have total body fat within 20% of national mean. Training optional; categories for degree of intoxication.

All the swimmers that have lost to Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian, would like a word with you.

You know, since he has genetic mutations that give him a huge advantage over swimmers, like his rare condition concerning lactic acid. Of course he still has to train and put in the work, but that doesn’t change the fact that due to mutations he has no control over, he has a large competitive advantage.

Oh wait, people didn’t have an issue with that? Hmmmm….
Total non-sequitur. Phelps wasn't swimming against women. Your example is comparable to suggesting Kareem Abdul Jabbar should be banned from playing basketball due his genetic advantage of being over 7 feet tall.

Clearly there are differences between people despite all the rhetoric about everything being the same (or having to be the same). The IOC can figure out what it wants to do and how it wants to proceed in the future. God knows these “leaders” don’t do jack shit to begin with for a living so here’s a chance.

McGuire and Bonds were fun to watch. Then all their achievements were taken away and they’re not even talked about anymore. Regardless of the outcome of these Olympics clearly results can be deleted after the fact like George Russell winning- I mean disqualified from- last week’s F1 race.

I say anything goes. Will make the Olympics (and motorsports) a lot more entertaining to watch.

I should add that in this case if a separate competitive category/delineation for women exists then it should be pretty objectively clear cut. XX- shrug it is what it is for whatever reason assuming no hormone injection. XY- disqualification. Feelings don’t matter for shit.
I think this makes a good point that I'd like to develop further. So anyone bringing up examples of men with genetic advantages (genetic, not chemical) competing against other men is missing this point. For many sports, we have two divisions. We call them womens and mens, but it might be better to call them women's and open. Meaning that even if you are a woman, and you're good enough, you should have the opportunity to compete in the open (mens) division, should one so desire. But the women's division is significantly more restricted. It must be only women, and most especially in any contact sport. Women must be physically protected from having to compete against genetically bigger, stronger men. Including genetic ambiguities such as this Algerian boxer.

This is not the case in the open (men's) divisions, where anyone who enters them has no such presumption of protection. 5'7". 150 lbs and want to play football with 300+ lb men? Go for at and you take any inherent risk of injury into your own hands. You know what it is you are going to be up against going in.

Total non-sequitur. Phelps wasn't swimming against women. Your example is comparable to suggesting Kareem Abdul Jabbar should be banned from playing basketball due his genetic advantage of being over 7 feet tall.
So why can’t we identify any construct we deem for phelp-like folks who we want to label and consider outside the norm for competition?

I had to look up nonsequitor. I don’t see how my statement wasn’t logical.

Just because this person didn't know they had XY chromosomes for much of their life doesn't make them any less male. They have like 10x the normal level of testosterone compared to women.

Also, this has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with bullshit.

I’m honestly not sure what is at the core of the conversation, but it seems to be surrounding fair athletics and more specifically setting constraints that folks must fall within, even more specially those surrounding hormones as it relates to specific sexes.

If that’s the case, I can absolutely agree and say in the grand scheme organizations and participants should have transparent and consistent standards.

Everyone wants to yell about the man fighting women, despite that being obviously obtuse and purposefully misleading. Do we as spectators/fans expect that everyone is taking everything they can legally for the best possible competitive advantage? Are we upset or not with systematic doping? Where do designer offspring come into play, with purposefully edited genomes?

Either people are just absolutely consumed with fair play and scientific advancements effects on competition, or everyone’s just mad over a common political talking point that rarely comes into play in local, national, or global stages.

I’m not an idiot, it makes sense to me to have men’s and women’s sections. Same as able bodied separate from Special Olympics. My only question is, why are those the total of available classes? Any genetic changes or issues of any other sort hold no bearing, as long as they don’t affect the above? Will be interesting to see that play out over the next couple of decades with advancements we’re seeing. Again, people are either hardcore fanatics of even and equal athletics, or they’re mad because they were told to be mad about a man beating up women. Seems pretty obvious for most folks.

So why can’t we identify any construct we deem for phelp-like folks who we want to label and consider outside the norm for competition?

I had to look up nonsequitor. I don’t see how my statement wasn’t logical.
The argument wasn't logical because we were discussing a genetic male boxing against a female, and you brought up the physical advantages of a particular male who only swam competitively against other men. The best in any sport will often have physical characteristics that set them apart from the general populace. If Jabbar were 6 ft tall instead if 7 ft tall, would he be in the basketball HOF? It's possible, but considerably less likely.
I’m honestly not sure what is at the core of the conversation, but it seems to be surrounding fair athletics and more specifically setting constraints that folks must fall within, even more specially those surrounding hormones as it relates to specific sexes.

If that’s the case, I can absolutely agree and say in the grand scheme organizations and participants should have transparent and consistent standards.

Everyone wants to yell about the man fighting women, despite that being obviously obtuse and purposefully misleading. Do we as spectators/fans expect that everyone is taking everything they can legally for the best possible competitive advantage? Are we upset or not with systematic doping? Where do designer offspring come into play, with purposefully edited genomes?

Either people are just absolutely consumed with fair play and scientific advancements effects on competition, or everyone’s just mad over a common political talking point that rarely comes into play in local, national, or global stages.

I’m not an idiot, it makes sense to me to have men’s and women’s sections. Same as able bodied separate from Special Olympics. My only question is, why are those the total of available classes? Any genetic changes or issues of any other sort hold no bearing, as long as they don’t affect the above? Will be interesting to see that play out over the next couple of decades with advancements we’re seeing. Again, people are either hardcore fanatics of even and equal athletics, or they’re mad because they were told to be mad about a man beating up women. Seems pretty obvious for most folks.
Regarding the total number of available classes for competition, I'd say the sky's the limit. If trans athletes want to create competitions just for them, then let them have at it. I see no objection. I think the issue would be how small the total number of competitors would be, but that's their problem. And if you want to create one for individuals such as the Algerian boxer, again, go for it. I'm guessing they would be in a competition of one most years. There just aren't enough athletes competing in some of these sports to merit their own competitions. That's why you have one category for only women, and one that is open - for everyone else.

Bunch of non athletic poker chip collectors arguing about men's and women's sports is bull shit.

Go start another thread, preferably in the political section so the rest of don't have to read your garbage.
Amen! We have a place for this shit. (It is not a happy place.)

Bunch of non athletic poker chip collectors arguing about men's and women's sports is bull shit.

Go start another thread, preferably in the political section so the rest of don't have to read your garbage.
I tried to have a battle royale last longer using water or pellet guns meetup wide this year, but it was too great an undertaking.

One year in the near future, there will be a mixing of something remotely athletic and chipping!

I tried to have a battle royale last longer using water or pellet guns meetup wide this year, but it was too great an undertaking.

One year in the near future, there will be a mixing of something remotely athletic and chipping!
I sometimes get up from the table to use the restroom. That's as remotely athletic as I get while playing poker (or chipping).

I sometimes get up from the table to use the restroom. That's as remotely athletic as I get while playing poker (or chipping).
You forgot drunk stumbling. That requires athleticism and agility to regain balance. And falling down requires at least one push up (or pull up if there's a chair nearby) and a knee bend to get up.

Amen! We have a place for this shit. (It is not a happy place.)
I mean, generally people will respond and engage when folks post pointed political arguments/memes/etc.

If it’s a nuisance, PCF and mods could moderate those folks, warn, and have a place for their posts. If the same people do it constantly on repeat, there can be punitive actions.

All that being said, outside of the nonsense, there really are truly amazing things happening in science right now on these topics.

For example: Let’s welcome back the wooly mammoth!!!!!!!!!

https://colossal.com/mammoth/

(I look forward to visiting a real Jurassic park)

You forgot drunk stumbling. That requires athleticism and agility to regain balance. And falling down requires at least one push up (or pull up if there's a chair nearby) and a knee bend to get up.
I'm on the IR list from a 2023 SQM sporting injury when @bergs and I went head to head. Neither of us remember the outcome.

I mean, generally people will respond and engage when folks post pointed political arguments/memes/etc.

If it’s a nuisance, PCF and mods could moderate those folks, warn, and have a place for their posts. If the same people do it constantly on repeat, there can be punitive actions.

All that being said, outside of the nonsense, there really are truly amazing things happening in science right now on these topics.

For example: Let’s welcome back the wooly mammoth!!!!!!!!!

https://colossal.com/mammoth/

(I look forward to visiting a real Jurassic park)
I’m honestly not sure I fully understand the biology in question with the boxer. So, I’m not sure I have enough information to really make an informed assessment.

In terms of elite athletes in general, they all have “something” either in their biology or physiology that gives them an advantage. Be it height, speed, strength, endurance, coordination, all of the above.

I could train with the best trainers in the world and my max potential would never be close to Bolt, or even an NFL receiver.

As for men, who are clearly men, that identify as women - that’s a different situation and I don’t think that is fair. Not suggesting this is the case with the boxer, just drawing the distinction.

Last edited:
I'm on the IR list from a 2023 SQM sporting injury when @bergs and I went head to head. Neither of us remember the outcome.
We both suffered next day physical oddities. I haven’t been that drunk since, probably never getting that drunk ever again.

At some point I blacked out and cashed out $720 and thought I was up $100.

I was stuck $3K. Then I walked down the middle of Main Street on the island on the way back to the airbnb at 2a doing crazy Ivan’s every 50 feet to see if someone was following me. How I got home is a fucking miracle.

We both suffered next day physical oddities. I haven’t been that drunk since, probably never getting that drunk ever again.

At some point I blacked out and cashed out $720 and thought I was up $100.

I was stuck $3K. Then I walked down the middle of Main Street on the island on the way back to the airbnb at 2a doing crazy Ivan’s every 50 feet to see if someone was following me. How I got home is a fucking miracle.
Yo! The "Crazy Ivan" reference is hilarious! I had a friend who was smashed walk home and it took him an hour and a half for a 20 minute walk. When we questioned him he told us he kept crossing the street every 1/2 block to make sure nobody was following him :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:. Never thought about it being a Crazy Ivan! Great stuff! I'm gonna call him now and we are gonna howl over that as he's a huge Clancy guy like me. Thanks.

Here’s some bullshit things:

- Arizona randomly shutting down major highways on Sundays for no apparently reason at all (no construction, no accident).

- Talking Stick calling an 8/16 mixed game and breaking it 45 minutes later with a list to get a different game is absolutely bullshit.

- The 8/16 players deciding to play tomorrow but they want to start at 11a and thinking I’m retired is bullshit (and jealousy).

Here's another thing that's bullshit.

Waking up to another part of your body in pain for no other reason than you woke up. Damn, I wish I was 30 again!
Tip from someone who has lived that feeling - almost every morning:

Your body part isn't in pain for no reason. That really stupid thing you did when you were 15, then just bounced right back... it's time to pay the piper for those youthful indiscretions.

I think most of us can agree that the unrelenting deterioration of our bodies due to the icy cold ravages of time is in fact bullshit. Young me was an ahole who should have taken better care of my body while it was on loan to them.

I think most of us can agree that the unrelenting deterioration of our bodies due to the icy cold ravages of time is in fact bullshit. Young me was an ahole who should have taken better care of my body while it was on loan to them.
100%

”What’s this bend the knees crap, the box/table/tv isn’t that heavy” :rolleyes:

It's always my feet. I've had several surgeries to repair various conditions. Yet randomly I'll still wake up, step out of bed to find random swelling and stabbing pain. Like today, the fight side of my foot, swollen and in pain for no reason other than I went to bed last night

It's always my feet. I've had several surgeries to repair various conditions. Yet randomly I'll still wake up, step out of bed to find random swelling and stabbing pain. Like today, the fight side of my foot, swollen and in pain for no reason other than I went to bed last night
Diabetes? Not a doctor but have loved ones who explain these symptoms before their diagnosis. Don't know you but wish you well, careful with high blood sugar.

This topic is not politics. It's controversial, which is exactly what this thread is for. If this thread wasn't full of controversial topics, it wouldn't have over 4000 posts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom