Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (3 Viewers)

A REQUEST: If you’re interested in actually using any of these methods, I would really appreciate your thoughts, uncensored opinions, and constructive criticism on the comparison. Which methods do you like? Which do you not like?
I hope you can see the constructiveness in this:

Without knowing what the mystery cleaner is, this is a waste of time. If you don't care to share the brand name you could explain what the base chemical is.
No one is going to retain or be able to use the information, especially with only two products to compare.

P.S. I very much appreciate and applaud your efforts and have benefited from your post, I also appreciate your dedication to it!

Without knowing what the mystery cleaner is, this is a waste of time. If you don't care to share the brand name you could explain what the base chemical is.
No one is going to retain or be able to use the information, especially with only two products to compare.
(I’m assuming you looked at the Poker Chip Cleaning Methods Comparison for which I was requesting thoughts/opinions. If that’s not the case, please ignore my response below.)

I'm disappointed you think it's a waste of time to share your opinions or thoughts on one or more of the four methods in the comparison chart unless you know the specific cleaning agents in each.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I thought that the advantages, disadvantages, effort, time, costs, and results for each method were the relevant factors in deciding which one a person would choose to use or not use. That’s why I took the time to put that information in the comparison chart, comparing it to the ultrasonic cleaning with Lundmark “TSP” as detailed in the OP.

I wanted to know what resonated with folks before spending additional time, effort, and cash.

While I was mildly surprised that no one offered their thoughts and opinions on the comparison of the four different methods, I’m certainly not offended, and that fact in of itself was good information for me.

It would have been a waste of my time and money to continue testing and tweaking mixtures, concentrations, and procedures for any of the methods I didn't plan to use for myself, if no one else was interested.

It would have also been a waste of my time photographing and documenting one or more of the four methods, given no other interest.

Regardless, here are some cleaning agents I've used if you have an interest in giving them a try:
  • 37% hydrochloric acid
  • Concentrated chlorine bleach
  • Gumout carburetor cleaner
  • 91% isopropyl alcohol
  • Rubbing compound (for auto paint & body)
  • 12% hydrogen peroxide
  • Powdered yeast (in conjunction with others)
  • Dawn Ultra (in conjunction with others)

P.S. I very much appreciate and applaud your efforts and have benefited from your post, I also appreciate your dedication to it!
You’re very welcome. I’m surprised the thread has lasted over 10 years. There’s certainly nothing wrong with sticking with the method described in the OP.

While I was mildly surprised that no one offered their thoughts and opinions on the comparison of the four different methods, I’m certainly not offended, and that fact in of itself was good information for me.
I suspect lots of people are interested (including me) but I think @Machine's point was that it's not possible for us to compare the five different methods when only one of them is fully described.

"I had great results using the Mystery Cleaner!" ... um, what? how?

To clarify, it was not at all obvious that you wanted comments/input on

"How do these methods sound to you, in theory?"

vs

"Let me know which of these methods gave you good results!"

Now it seems apparent that you meant the former, but I (and I suspect others) read it as the latter.

Last edited:
I suspect lots of people are interested (including me) but I think @Machine's point was that it's not possible for us to compare the five different methods when only one of them is fully described.

"I had great results using the Mystery Cleaner!" ... um, what? how?
So, two exaggerated examples…
  • Would you be interested in a method that cost $80 per 100 chips, but took zero time and effort?
  • Would you be interested in a method that cost $0, but took 10 hours of effort per rack?
Do the cleaning agents used in the two methods above make a difference to your decision?

Chris, call me lazy (I’ll own it), but I don’t want to spend the time and money experimenting, tweaking, photographing, and documenting a bunch of stuff if there’s no interest.

That’s why I’ve posted photos of results, and why I did my best to compare and contrast the 4 methods with the OP method, in order to see what people might actually use.

Chris, call me lazy (I’ll own it), but I don’t want to spend the time and money experimenting, tweaking, photographing, and documenting a bunch of stuff if there’s no interest.
That wasn't my point at all. My point was that I didn't understand what input you were seeking. Now that I do, I'll give it some thought and feedback soon.

I know it’s a big ugly spreadsheet, but did anyone actually look at the Poker Chip Cleaning Methods Comparison?
I did!

• Would you be interested in a method that cost $80 per 100 chips, but took zero time and effort?
  • Would you be interested in a method that cost $0, but took 10 hours of effort per rack?
Yes and yes

I don't think you lazy and I don't think you've wasted your time at all, with the exception that publishing results without telling us what your testing.

Its like that scene from Oceans 11 where Pitt says ' And never, ever ... ' walking away from the conversation.

Okay guys, a few more questions. I have the 6L Vevor and haven't used it yet.

I just wanted to confirm a few things before I give it a go.

It sounds like several people mention temping at around 40-42 degrees C. Is this a good temperature to use for Paulson RHCs?

My Ultrasonic cleaner didn't mention anything regarding water type in the instructions. Can you use tap water- or should distilled water be used?

I see a few mentions of using 4 tablespoons of the Lundmark TSP Cleaner (actually Sodium Metasilicate?) per Gallon. How much water would you guys recommend using in a 6L ultrasonic at that ratio?

How many chips do you guys generally clean before replacing the water and adding cleaner?

Any more last minute tips? I was thinking of doing a test batch tomorrow- but can push it back a few days if necessary.

Okay guys, a few more questions. I have the 6L Vevor and haven't used it yet.

I just wanted to confirm a few things before I give it a go.

It sounds like several people mention temping at around 40-42 degrees C. Is this a good temperature to use for Paulson RHCs?

My Ultrasonic cleaner didn't mention anything regarding water type in the instructions. Can you use tap water- or should distilled water be used?

I see a few mentions of using 4 tablespoons of the Lundmark TSP Cleaner (actually Sodium Metasilicate?) per Gallon. How much water would you guys recommend using in a 6L ultrasonic at that ratio?

How many chips do you guys generally clean before replacing the water and adding cleaner?

Any more last minute tips? I was thinking of doing a test batch tomorrow- but can push it back a few days if necessary.

In general I think 40C is a good temperature for all chips.
You should use distilled water unless you have the absolutely cleanest tap water on the planet.
I use 1 tbsp per litre. I typically use 3L of water at a time, so 3 tbsps.
I try not to do more than 1000-1200 chips per cleaning cycle. The rinse water should be changed after every 400 chips or so.

Wear eye protection. Wear good gloves. Do the cleaning in a very well ventilated space or outside. Have lots of towels to do an initial drying after rinsing and then lay out on other towels/bedsheets to air dry afterward.
If there's no visible gunk on the chips, you can probably get away with 1 minute clean. If there is visible gunk then you may need 2 minutes or more.

20240910_154749.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom