Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (9 Viewers)

Earlier this morning, I completed the re-testing of soaking chips for 12 hours in a Dawn solution (1 tablespoon Dawn in 1 cup distilled water).

I didn’t see any signs of the Dawn solution seeping under the inlays, but I’ll let you look at the BEFORE and AFTER photos to judge for yourself.

There are three photos each of BEFORE and AFTER, all showing the same side of the chips. If you really want to scrutinize them, I find it useful to save them to an album on my iPad so that I can very quickly flip back and forth between the BEFORE and AFTER photos of a given angle.

BEFORE:
View attachment 1346173
View attachment 1346176
View attachment 1346177

AFTER:
View attachment 1346179
View attachment 1346182
View attachment 1346183

@BGinGA, @Josh Kifer, and others: Please weigh in if you see something that concerns you. I value your opinions, *especially* when they differ from my own!

The static Dawn soak did a pretty good job again of removing a lot (but not all!) of the gunk.

Immediately after I took the photos above, I tossed the chips back into the Dawn solution to go possibly up to another 12 hours. I’m interested to see if it will finish removing the gunk, and if there will be any seepage under the inlays, or even maybe an adverse effect on the hot stamps.
All I can tell ya is that it works fine, until it doesn't. And by then, it's too late. No snark intended.

Btw, some of the versions of Dawn now contain Oxy.

All I can tell ya is that it works fine, until it doesn't. And by then, it's too late. No snark intended.
No snark taken! You make an EXCELLENT point, and that’s exactly why I always TEST before committing a large number of expensive chips to any cleaning or oiling process.

Btw, some of the versions of Dawn now contain Oxy.
Thanks! I noticed that a while back in the grocery store. So far, I’ve been sticking with the original blue “Dawn Ultra”.

I don't soak in Oxy. I use it as the solution in the magic eraser. Cuts grime better than Dawn on the stubborn shit but doesn't fade if it's not coated in it. Just a hint to help the eraser do it's job. My methods turned these.

Incredible results! Sorry, but what "solution" in your magic eraser? I'm hanging on every word :D

I don't soak in Oxy. I use it as the solution in the magic eraser. Cuts grime better than Dawn on the stubborn shit but doesn't fade if it's not coated in it. Just a hint to help the eraser do its job. My methods turned these..
Into these.
Nice Cali chips, and nice work!

I *wish* some of my brain cells had been functioning before I manually cleaned the Paulson Cherry chips (again, over 2 hours/rack of manual effort), but I EPIC FAILED to take any BEFORE photos.

Here’s an AFTER CLEANING photo, followed by three AFTER J&J GEL treatment photos.

AFTER CLEANING:
1718820611397.jpeg

AFTER J&J GEL TREATMENT:
1718820688899.jpeg

1718820713624.jpeg

1718820739727.jpeg

I really want to be able to recreate those cleaning results without the 2 hours/rack of manual effort part.

Incredible results! Sorry, but what "solution" in your magic eraser? I'm hanging on every word :D
Magic Erasers require to be wet (actually just damp) to work effectively. Using water is most common, but using a chip-safe cleaning solution as the damping additive can also help speed the cleaning process.

Half strength Oxy and tap water, and swap the magic eraser out every 70-80 chips. These were magic eraser and Oxy, then Hydrogen peroxide soaks for a week, then once more with the magic eraser and Oxy. Then my oil blend.

They were an obscene amount of work, but worth it in the end. I need to clean the fracs once I get off my ass.

I tried 2 different manual methods tonight, similar results, but big time difference.

On the left, I used The Pink Stuff and an infant tooth brush. It took me probably a solid 5 minutes of scrubbing, rinsing to check, and re-scrubbing again. It worked, but wasn't overly pleased.

On the right I used a magic eraser dipped in warm dawn dish soap water. It took literally 10 seconds with the eraser, and then probably 20 seconds with the tooth brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Very pleased.

Now I'm just waiting for them to dry before I try J&J gel

PXL_20240620_053043241.jpg

PXL_20240620_054814886.MP.jpg

I tried 2 different manual methods tonight, similar results, but big time difference.

On the left, I used The Pink Stuff and an infant tooth brush. It took me probably a solid 5 minutes of scrubbing, rinsing to check, and re-scrubbing again. It worked, but wasn't overly pleased.

On the right I used a magic eraser dipped in warm dawn dish soap water. It took literally 10 seconds with the eraser, and then probably 20 seconds with the tooth brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Very pleased.

Now I'm just waiting for them to dry before I try J&J gel

View attachment 1346554

View attachment 1346555
Dump the tooth brush and get a Sonic Scrubber on Amazon. It'll cut the time even more after erasering it.

Edit - and also grab rechargeable batteries for it. They work fantastic when at full power, but even going down to 60% they stop being as affective. So cycle them out each use and recharge and you never have the issue or a pile of half used batteries.

I tried a soak in dawn and water for a batch of chips and a soak in the hydrogen peroxide for another batch. The peroxide batch cleaned pretty easily so I’m going to do the rest in that.

IMG_0554.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

They get so bubbly
IMG_0569.jpeg

I tried a soak in dawn and water for a batch of chips and a soak in the hydrogen peroxide for another batch. The peroxide batch cleaned pretty easily so I’m going to do the rest in that.

View attachment 1346698
View attachment 1346699

They get so bubbly
View attachment 1346700
Nice.
  1. Do you have any BEFORE and AFTER photos of the chips? It would help give an idea of what kind and how much filth they had.
  2. How long did you soak the batch in Dawn, and what concentration did you use?
  3. How long did you soak the batch in peroxide?
  4. When you said, “The peroxide batch cleaned pretty easily,” do you mean that you manually scrubbed them after the peroxide soak?
Thanks!

Nice.
  1. Do you have any BEFORE and AFTER photos of the chips? It would help give an idea of what kind and how much filth they had.
  2. How long did you soak the batch in Dawn, and what concentration did you use?
  3. How long did you soak the batch in peroxide?
  4. When you said, “The peroxide batch cleaned pretty easily,” do you mean that you manually scrubbed them after the peroxide soak?
Thanks!
Yep, will post pictures in a bit. I didn't take many though.

The dawn solution only had about 4-5 table spoons of dawn to that water amount.

Peroxide batch I soaked for at least 16 hours.

I did scrub them afterwards because they were pretty filthy and I had to get some of the gunk that was plastered on them off. The peroxide batch took less effort.

I did scrub them afterwards because they were pretty filthy and I had to get some of the gunk that was plastered on them off. The peroxide batch took less effort.
I've found that the peroxide chips sometimes will get dirtier in the bath, as it'll draw out the grime from the clay too. But then look pretty much perfect after a quick scrubbing.

I've found that the peroxide chips sometimes will get dirtier in the bath, as it'll draw out the grime from the clay too. But then look pretty much perfect after a quick scrubbing.
Do you agitate them slightly during the soak? I've been doing that lightly a couple of times a day.

Got it. Thanks for the replies, and the photos!

Do you agitate them slightly during the soak? I've been doing that lightly a couple of times a day.
Not really. If I'm stopping it foaming, it's gonna have to restart, so nothing past when I dumped and refilled. Maybe one stir if I was bored and wanted new faces touched.

I’m never going to try this cleaning method if it’s going to turn a rack into 17 chips
I’d like to think that I speak for all PCF members when I say, THANK YOU for your astute observation that the rest of us obviously missed.

Peroxide soaks result in an 83% reduction in chip count.

Noted.

PHEW! And to think… I was JUST about to use some peroxide on a couple racks of chips. :wow:

Now that I think of it, this just *might* explain why I lost eight fingers several years back when I used peroxide on a nasty cut resulting from an accident while using a serrated knife. :cry:

Not really. If I'm stopping it foaming, it's gonna have to restart, so nothing past when I dumped and refilled. Maybe one stir if I was bored and wanted new faces touched.
I’m admittedly not a chemist or a chemical engineer. However, I don’t think it’s even remotely possible to slow down any reaction between the peroxide and dirt/stains on the chips by stirring it. I’d be surprised if it didn’t cause the opposite, i.e. help increase the action of the peroxide.

That said, stirring can certainly *temporarily* reduce bubbles on the surface of the peroxide, and on the surface of the chips. So if you’re doing this for the bubbles, don’t disturb the peroxide! :LOL: :laugh:

Honestly, over the course of 24 hours, I highly doubt you could have a measurable effect by stirring or not stirring, ASSUMING that you have things situated such that all the chip faces are all exposed to the peroxide (or whatever else you’re soaking in).

Just purchased at Home Depot:

1719008428979.jpeg

FOUR times the concentration of the typical 3% hydrogen peroxide solution!

Will it result in 4x the cleaning power?

Will it result in 4x the BUBBLES?

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK - SAME TIME - SAME CHANNEL!

Seriously, in a small test soaking a variety of chips in 3% peroxide + a tiny bit of Dawn Ultra + a bit of yet another cleaning agent, I had some significantly positive results. The best yet, actually (all the black gunk and nearly all the dirt was gone). So, I’m looking to do this on a larger and faster scale. Combined with a “follow up” ultrasonic bath in the cleaner that was used on the Paulson Cherry chips in my previous photos, I’m hoping this will prove to be my new grail cleaning method that requires zero scrubbing or any other handling of each individual chip, and with near zero color fading and no damage to hot stamp foil or inlays. (Apologies to those of you who actually enjoy spending hours/rack cleaning your chips. To each their own!)

I’m admittedly not a chemist or a chemical engineer. However, I don’t think it’s even remotely possible to slow down any reaction between the peroxide and dirt/stains on the chips by stirring it. I’d be surprised if it didn’t cause the opposite, i.e. help increase the action of the peroxide.

That said, stirring can certainly *temporarily* reduce bubbles on the surface of the peroxide, and on the surface of the chips. So if you’re doing this for the bubbles, don’t disturb the peroxide! :LOL: :laugh:

Honestly, over the course of 24 hours, I highly doubt you could have a measurable effect by stirring or not stirring, ASSUMING that you have things situated such that all the chip faces are all exposed to the peroxide (or whatever else you’re soaking in).
I think you think this way more than I do. My lizard brain just wants clean chips, not much past that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom