Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (9 Viewers)

I think we can be friends :cool

Yeah most likely

IMG_9069.jpeg

I don’t even own ceramics, but when someone’s wrong on the internet...

Chips should be sold shipped and with racks included. Adjust your asking price.
So racks and chips will arrive damaged? No thank you.

If the rebuttal is the seller will tightly wrap the chips to the racks in cardboard, paper, and/or bubble wrap so they won’t be loose, then why not skip the racks and just pack the chips in cheaper cardboard, paper, and/or bubble wrap?

So racks and chips will arrive damaged? No thank you.

If the rebuttal is the seller will tightly wrap the chips to the racks in cardboard, paper, and/or bubble wrap so they won’t be loose, then why not skip the racks and just pack the chips in cheaper cardboard, paper, and/or bubble wrap?
Fine. Can we settle on “shipped.?”

For the record, when I sell with racks, each barrel Saran wrapped, placed in rack, rack Saran wrapped, and then the absolute “shipping to the moon” pack job.

My take: Chips should be sold shipped and with racks included. Adjust your asking price.
The last time somebody sent me chips in racks, they were those new style octagon looking two piece racks. They’re thin, dumb looking, the chips rattle around in them and racks don’t need covers! I gave them away to players at my game - couldn’t get them out of my sight fast enough.

The last time somebody sent me chips in racks, they were those new style octagon looking two piece racks. They’re thin, dumb looking, the chips rattle around in them and racks don’t need covers! I gave them away to players at my game - couldn’t get them out of my sight fast enough.
Those were probably Apache or another knock off. The new Justin Racks chips fit perfectly inside w no rattle.

Making a ceramic that mimics a clay chip is useless. Just get a clay chip
I mostly agreed with this except when my favorite set is Big Top Poker which going to cost me a fortune if I want to own a Clay set instead.

A 'fake' one is enough for me at the moment, until I won a lottery or get a huge inheritance or get a phone call from an African Prince.

I mostly agreed with this except when my favorite set is Big Top Poker which going to cost me a fortune if I want to own a Clay set instead.

A 'fake' one is enough for me at the moment, until I won a lottery or get a huge inheritance or get a phone call from an African Prince.
I sort of understand the appeal of it, but I’m not particularily fond of all the replica sets. However far the actual feel is between the two, the fact that every other photo in the homegame pic thread now is of a ”grail” set, do lessen the value of the originals in my view.

I don’t own any NAGB chips so I don’t personally have any skin in the game and a correction in market value from the peaks of 2021/2022 was probably inevitable and good. But I still don’t like a lot of the Chinese replicas.

Those were probably Apache or another knock off. The new Justin Racks chips fit perfectly inside w no rattle.
They’re good but let’s not fluff them up too much. I have a bunch of different sets that do not fit “perfectly with no rattle.” A lot of CPC/ASM type chips and ceramics are slightly too large and you can only fit 19 chips to a row and on the other side, moderately used THC/TRK wobble around a bunch.

I still like the racks a lot because of the very small form factor and the stability but they’re not perfect

They’re good but let’s not fluff them up too much. I have a bunch of different sets that do not fit “perfectly with no rattle.” A lot of CPC/ASM type chips and ceramics are slightly too large and you can only fit 19 chips to a row and on the other side, moderately used THC/TRK wobble around a bunch.

I still like the racks a lot because of the very small form factor and the stability but they’re not perfect
Interesting. My RHC/THC are perfect. But are excellent condition.

The tightest snuggest racks seem to be Unique Paulsons.

However far the actual feel is between the two, the fact that every other photo in the homegame pic thread now is of a ”grail” set, do lessen the value of the originals in my view.
One will never be expecting a $400 costed huge set make by a different material altogether is going to feel the same as an equivalent set value of $12k++

For me, I just want to play with beautiful colored chips set that act as a short fix.

I don't think it will ever lessen the value of originals that much as people who bought the "replica" set are mostly the one that can't afford the original anyway, so it not affecting the supply nor demand that much.

And IMHO, 90% of the grail / NAGB set has never been felt or just felt once too.

Not many people are willing to put their $$$$ set in play.

Last edited:
I don't think it will ever lessen the value of originals that much as people who bought the "replica" set are mostly the one that can't afford the original anyway, so it not affecting the supply nor demand that much.
I disagree. Just the fact that they’re suddenly everywhere does lessen (at least my) interest in them. I don’t care to zoom in on every photo to see whether they’re the originals or not. More common equals less disirable imo.

And IMHO, 90% of the grail / NAGB set has never been felt or just felt once too.

This I will never understand. Any chips passing my hands will at the minimum have been shuffled by me. Bunch of nits holding them hostage in boxes, smh :)

Last edited:
Wow. You seem like you’re in need of a hug.

Best Friends Love GIF by Kennysgifs

:rolleyes:

Making a ceramic that mimics a clay chip is useless. Just get a clay chip. Ceramics should take full advantage of the ability to print the entire chip. @detroitdad knows how it’s done
While I used to think as you do, and in general agree, utilizing the ready design tools here in concert with Tina means one can get a very workable chip, quickly and much more cheaply than going out an buying clay, certainly in cases where quantity is needed.

Sure one should utilize the canvas that ceramic provides to blow minds and totally rep, but there's something to be said for the quick and dirty "spot" pattern ceramic. Some times.

I now declare that a proper "Set" of chips is 1,000 or more (1 rack/player at a standard 10 person table).

But... but... I just spent several hours and a couple dozen posts arguing about the absolute least number of chips one needs to run a one-table tournament.

Because, you know, gosh forbid anyone should spend an extra 15% to get a comfortably-sized set that doesn’t require you to crunch your cheeks together while running a detailed spreadsheet just to figure out starting stacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom