CPC General discussion thread (11 Viewers)

I see out of 224 oz total:

120 ounces lead silicate
48 ounces barytes
40 ounces dry vinyl
10 ounces cotton
3 ounces titanium
3 ounces lavender color
1/2 ounce purple color

Seems like a lot of lead silicate. Maybe TRK chips best enjoyed in pictures. Wow.

Also worth noting that dry vinyl has a much lower density than lead…the volume will be a much higher proportion vs the weight
I see the # symbol meaning pounds…10 oz cotton (3lb), barite (7lb 8oz), lead silicate (3oz), titanium (2lb 8oz..probably TiO2?), dry vinyl (3oz), color (1/2 oz).

I see the # symbol meaning pounds…10 oz cotton (3lb), barite (7lb 8oz), lead silicate (3oz), titanium (2lb 8oz..probably TiO2?), dry vinyl (3oz), color (1/2 oz).
Oh I think you’re right it’s 3 lb of 10oz cotton. Not 10 ounces of cotton.

But 2000 chips should weigh more…whatever. It’s very little plastics…mostly clay. I would even consider the Ti to be a clay component.
I'm finding that ingredient list very interesting. Such cool info. But, this recipe is from 1952. I'd expect the recipe will have evolved over time (changing material costs, improvements to manufacturing efficiency. This example recipe may not reflect current clay chip composition... but they also may do too.

Because I only understand metric I calculated the below, hopefully correctly (above posts helped, thanks) Was hoping to see what kind of %s this 1952 recipe creates. This seems to indicate there is very little plastic in these 1952 clay chips. Or am I mistaken, stuffed it up? Maybe the recipe is incomplete?
One problem is it is by weight and not volume. Perhaps someone could add to this by finding out relative densities of material and converting to % by volume.

1706456445583.png

I'm finding that ingredient list very interesting. Such cool info. But, this recipe is from 1952. I'd expect the recipe will have evolved over time (changing material costs, improvements to manufacturing efficiency. This example recipe may not reflect current clay chip composition... but they also may do too.

Because I only understand metric I calculated the below, hopefully correctly (above posts helped, thanks) Was hoping to see what kind of %s this 1952 recipe creates. This seems to indicate there is very little plastic in these 1952 clay chips. Or am I mistaken, stuffed it up? Maybe the recipe is incomplete?
One problem is it is by weight and not volume. Perhaps someone could add to this by finding out relative densities of material and converting to % by volume.

View attachment 1263160
Ah... quick google found this that explains:
"Barites mineral is widely used in plastic industry. It is used as the filling of plastic ABC to create beautiful colorful plastics. It is also very effective in improving the stiffness, intensity and abrasive strength to it thereby making it stronger in strength and beautiful in appearance."

So this all goes back to arguing on the definition of what a plastic is. So, technically origin is mineral barites "clay" but as an ingredient in plastic?

Ah... quick google found this that explains:
"Barites mineral is widely used in plastic industry. It is used as the filling of plastic ABC to create beautiful colorful plastics. It is also very effective in improving the stiffness, intensity and abrasive strength to it thereby making it stronger in strength and beautiful in appearance."

So this all goes back to arguing on the definition of what a plastic is. So, technically origin is mineral barites "clay" but as an ingredient in plastic?
As is Ti02…very common filler in many polymer adhesives. Barite is a super common industrial clay…many many uses. I can see why it would be used in clay chips…very uniform color and grain size distribution. And it’s abundant…

OMG, you guys are hopeless. How the fuck does nobody in here know how to read? This isn't difficult. The formula reads as follows:

10 oz cotton
3 lb barytes
7 lb 8 oz lead silicate
3 oz titanium
2 lb 8 oz dry vinyl
3 oz lav color
1/2 oz purple

Cliff Notes - it's fucking plastic!

OMG, you guys are hopeless. How the fuck does nobody in here know how to read? This isn't difficult. The formula reads as follows:

10 oz cotton
3 lb barytes
7 lb 8 oz lead silicate
3 oz titanium
2 lb 8 oz dry vinyl
3 oz lav color
1/2 oz purple

Actually, it doesn’t say that. You mixed up the cotton weight with the barytes, the lead silicate with the barytes, and the titanium with the dry vinyl and the dry vinyl with the lavender color (among other things).

If we’re hopeless, you’re borderline illiterate.
IMG_9649.jpeg

This makes sense though if you took Frank Gore but meant to take Adrian Peterson in 2014.

10 oz cotton
3 lb barytes
7 lb 8 oz lead silicate
3 oz titanium
2 lb 8 oz dry vinyl
3 oz lav color
1/2 oz purple

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Actually, it doesn’t say that. You mixed up the cotton weight with the barytes, the lead silicate with the barytes, and the titanium with the dry vinyl and the dry vinyl with the lavender color (among other things).

If we’re hopeless, you’re borderline illiterate.
View attachment 1263352
This makes sense though if you took Frank Gore but meant to take Adrian Peterson in 2014.

You're even dumber than I thought.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Read it again. The weights come before the ingredients. Just like they do in every fucking recipe you've ever read. It's also the only way the formula makes any fucking sense. I assure you the lead silicate is NOT just 3 fucking ounces and the purple color is NOT just a random word that you can ignore at the end.

Read it again. The weights come before the ingredients. Just like they do in every fucking recipe you've ever read. It's also the only way the formula makes any fucking sense. I assure you the lead silicate is NOT just 3 fucking ounces and the purple color is NOT just a random word that you can ignore at the end.
Nope.

“10 oz cotton” is also a product though and the end is cut off

I think that recipe is somewhat ambiguous

“10 oz cotton” is also a product though and the end is cut off

I think that recipe is somewhat ambiguous
I think purple dye is an ingredient that is use to attain multiple shades of purple…1/2 ounces of purple dye per 1000 chips will yield lavender colored chips.

I think I am right.

10 oz cotton
3 lb barytes
7 lb 8 oz lead silicate
3 oz titanium
2 lb 8 oz dry vinyl
3 oz lav color
1/2 oz purple

But even these data indicate that there is only 13% vinyl there.
(I'm even surprised that it's so little)

Everything else is quite normal mineral additives, which are still used in plastic production as a filler.

In addition, for 2000 chips, 8-9 kg of total weight is somehow very little. Although, perhaps they weighed that much in 1952.

Once upon a time, on the blue site, guys carried out spectral analysis of chips. I could be wrong, but there was a lot of carbon and barium there...

In any case, we cannot call them completely plastic.

Even if it’s 50% there, it’s an amazing composition. The only thing that is 100% plastic is the label covering.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom