Host can't pay out everyone, what to do? (91 Viewers)

I appreciate this post…… As I said in my post context is important. But, whatever, everyone can put the pitchforks away, as I said from the start I am covering this debt.
This has been a 99% pitchfork free thread since the members were named.

And you’ve said you are covering the debt but several responses have asked when you plan on covering it, how about answering that question as well.

This has been a 99% pitchfork free thread since the members were named.

And you’ve said you are covering the debt but several responses have asked when you plan on covering it, how about answering that question as well.
@ some point these questions are not merited and that’s between the host and players.

The intent of this post was to have a discussion of debts at a game and consider it a warning to play at this (or similar) game IF you consider this an issue.

Not interrogate a member of none of your business IMHO.

Last edited:
What does this mean?
My highish stakes game runs exactly like this….losers settle with winners afterwards. Host isn’t extending credit as much as the game is handling the buy-ins after the fact.

This isnt the right audience to arbitrate this. The overwhelming consensus was everyone brings cash, right? 100% absurd.

If that was the case why on earth would anyone host?

I host an unraked 2/5 game because I enjoy putting on a higher-quality poker game than I can find anywhere else in my (rural) area.

I don't extend credit and have never come up short.

But if I ever did extend credit, I would not extend a cent more than I had the ability to pay out myself on the spot.

I also would not expect to be able to get anyone to play in my game if word ever got around that players were not ensured of being made whole at cash-out.

Last edited:
Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

I host an unraked 2/5 game because I enjoy putting on a higher-quality poker game than I can find anywhere else in my (rural) area.

I don't extend credit and have never come up short.

But if I ever did extend credit, I would not extend a cent more than I had the ability to pay out myself on the spot.

I also would not expect to be able to get anyone to play in my game if word ever got around that players were not ensured of being made whole at cash-out.
What goldfish and frog are implying no one is extending credit. It’s a square up game afterwards. Invite only. The only reason that’s it’s complicated is the out of towners won big and didn’t know the locals as well. BL probably taking advantage of that. Usually everyone knows each other very well. It’s a small occurrence, just like a game getting robbed, inherit risk w high stakes game, but unusual nonetheless.

What goldfish and frog are implying no one is extending credit. It’s a square up game afterwards. Invite only. The only reason that’s it’s complicated is the out of towners won big and didn’t know the locals as well. BL probably taking advantage of that. Usually everyone knows each other very well. It’s a small occurrence, just like a game getting robbed, inherit risk w high stakes game, but unusual nonetheless.
Everyone here is an unfortunate spot. Hornet and Jay for being shafted, Goldie for appearing as a bad host, and BL obviously in a bad place financially.

Wait, you mean to tell me people play this game for profits and payouts? I thought it was for recreational purposes.. I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time! Chucks!

There are risks to a cashless game just as there are risks to a true cash game. A deadbeat player is definitely one of those major risks.

So how does Goldfish or any other host mitigate that risk so it is less likely to happen again is the question? Because once someone got away with it and word gets around that they did, it will potentially scare good players (with money) away and attract bad players (no money) to take a shot and try it as well. If I was to think about playing in a cashless game like this I’d want to know how the game runner is protecting the game. Who are these players?

What is the vetting process for any player to get into the game? If it’s simply “hey you seem like a decent guy, come play”, then the host is inviting trouble and is lucky this is the first time. If I was invited to such a game I would expect some kind of funds verification at the very least. And probably some character references from within the poker community.

so, to avoid this scenario in the future, at what point during the game should the bank ask a losing player for proof of funds in the unlikely event this player is unable to pay all his losses?

If a player joins one of these games later in the night, is he informed of how much each other player — whether they are still there or they left for the night — is in for so that he has the opportunity to assess the risk against his tolerance?

How about that’s none of our business? Looks like everything’s out in the light and it’s being handled.

@ some point these questions are not merited and that’s between the host and players.

The intent of this post was to have a discussion of debts at a game and consider it a warning to play at this (or similar) game IF you consider this an issue.

Not interrogate a member of none of your business IMHO.

This isn't a poker chips issue. Frankly, it's none of our business.
I feel special to get ganged up on. I just asked what lots of people were wondering.

And IMO, when they all shared their business on a public forum they can’t claim it’s none of our business.

It’s a fair question to ask after 2 years! If it was 2 weeks or 2 months then probably not a fair question. But the host or house or whatever he calls his participation in the game said he was making them whole, so what is so awful about asking when?

Oh, for the record, this was posted in the Home Game General forum which means the topics aren’t limited to poker chips.

But yall have fun.

Ooooooooo interesting.

I wonder what’s everyone’s take - a game gets robbed, all cash is taken.

Who is responsible if anyone? Does whoever owns the house we’re playing at have to make all players whole?

Ooooooooo interesting.

I wonder what’s everyone’s take - a game gets robbed, all cash is taken.

Who is responsible if anyone? Does whoever owns the house we’re playing at have to make all players whole?
My assumption always was if a game is robbed the host owes nothing but is suspect #1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom