Vendor Sale Made-to-order Custom Table Toppers (15 Viewers)

I don’t take as many pictures as I should but love how this one came out :cool Also love the designs from @aaron2786 (I know I owe you some pics)

1695233561186.jpeg

At long last, I'm excited to share some pics and a few thoughts about this awesome topper. Thanks again to @rjdev7 and @aaron2786 for making this a reality!

First off, the topper on my Barrington:

2.jpeg

And here's a close-up with Copags to mollify the KEM-haters, along with some Apache Bank chips:

3.jpeg

A close-up, in-game pic with Apache Majestics– I really like the sharpness of the tartan pattern (props to @aaron2786 for making this pattern by hand, it was worth it!):

4.jpeg

And finally, a "behind the scenes" pic for those curious about using rug pads. I picked up a cheap 8'x5' pad from the local Lowe's and roughly cut it to size. It worked great.

5.jpeg

A few thoughts, in no particular order, for anyone who has made it this far:
  • On shipping: Shipping was ridiculously easy and, like others in this thread, faster than expected– 14 days from order placed to topper shipped and 5 days in transit until deliver for an awesome total of only 19 days from start to finish. Gotta give FedEx props on this one, I was impressed with the speed.
  • On sizing and trimming: My Barrington was a bit bigger than average, so I went with a 74"x32" topper size with the intention to trim it if it didn't fit. The topper arrived and measured exactly 74"x32". Trimming it was a little more challenging than expected. For the straight, longer portions I used a Fisker Rotary Cutter and a straight-edge, which did the trick. For the curved end portions, I used scissors. This worked just okay. I found that the Neoprene-esque material became a little jagged, even with some quality scissors. Thankfully, the topper curves downwards slightly at the perimeter of the table due to the rug pad underneath. This hides the inconsistent/jagged width, but it is still slightly noticeable. I'm thinking about asking around my local tailors or sewing studios to see if someone with better skills than mine can trim the boundary to a smoother, uniform width. Please don't hesitate to ping me if you've found a better way, too!
  • Misc: The topper did have a minor smell to it when it arrived, as expected. This disappeared completely after about 12 hours of being out of the package. Also, it was so much easier to clean up after the game, since I could just lift up the topper and shake off crumbs and dirt– much nicer than vacuuming felt!
  • On feel, physics, and impact to the game: Long story short, the players loved it (as did I) during our first game. All the observations in this thread so far were accurate. The cards did glide further on the topper, but people figured out pretty quickly how to adjust. The topper did ripple or "wave" slightly when there was movement like a big pot being pushed across it– but it flattened itself out without the need to intervene. The rug pad made a positive difference in reducing waves as well. I found that it was less prone to rippling/waving during an actual game where there are chips, drinks, coasters, etc. on the table to weigh it down. I'm also happy to report that the topper did absorb booze without any issues or stains. On the game impact, the topper did elevate the fun of the game and make it easier to play– specifically, players had an easier time self-dealing without feeling the need to put the cards in the stupid "flop, turn, river" boxes common on Barrington felts and an easier time betting (and seeing bets) since the betting line was so distinct. @aaron2786 and I both liked a simple center area, and I really liked how the black pattern highlighted the cards and chips.
I'll update if anything changes, but just wanted to again thank @rjdev7 and @aaron2786 for the great addition to my home games! As always, PM me if you're in the Pittsburgh area and are looking for a game (or just want to test the topper).

At long last, I'm excited to share some pics and a few thoughts about this awesome topper. Thanks again to @rjdev7 and @aaron2786 for making this a reality!

First off, the topper on my Barrington:

View attachment 1198535

And here's a close-up with Copags to mollify the KEM-haters, along with some Apache Bank chips:

View attachment 1198537

A close-up, in-game pic with Apache Majestics– I really like the sharpness of the tartan pattern (props to @aaron2786 for making this pattern by hand, it was worth it!):

View attachment 1198539

And finally, a "behind the scenes" pic for those curious about using rug pads. I picked up a cheap 8'x5' pad from the local Lowe's and roughly cut it to size. It worked great.

View attachment 1198541

A few thoughts, in no particular order, for anyone who has made it this far:
  • On shipping: Shipping was ridiculously easy and, like others in this thread, faster than expected– 14 days from order placed to topper shipped and 5 days in transit until deliver for an awesome total of only 19 days from start to finish. Gotta give FedEx props on this one, I was impressed with the speed.
  • On sizing and trimming: My Barrington was a bit bigger than average, so I went with a 74"x32" topper size with the intention to trim it if it didn't fit. The topper arrived and measured exactly 74"x32". Trimming it was a little more challenging than expected. For the straight, longer portions I used a Fisker Rotary Cutter and a straight-edge, which did the trick. For the curved end portions, I used scissors. This worked just okay. I found that the Neoprene-esque material became a little jagged, even with some quality scissors. Thankfully, the topper curves downwards slightly at the perimeter of the table due to the rug pad underneath. This hides the inconsistent/jagged width, but it is still slightly noticeable. I'm thinking about asking around my local tailors or sewing studios to see if someone with better skills than mine can trim the boundary to a smoother, uniform width. Please don't hesitate to ping me if you've found a better way, too!
  • Misc: The topper did have a minor smell to it when it arrived, as expected. This disappeared completely after about 12 hours of being out of the package. Also, it was so much easier to clean up after the game, since I could just lift up the topper and shake off crumbs and dirt– much nicer than vacuuming felt!
  • On feel, physics, and impact to the game: Long story short, the players loved it (as did I) during our first game. All the observations in this thread so far were accurate. The cards did glide further on the topper, but people figured out pretty quickly how to adjust. The topper did ripple or "wave" slightly when there was movement like a big pot being pushed across it– but it flattened itself out without the need to intervene. The rug pad made a positive difference in reducing waves as well. I found that it was less prone to rippling/waving during an actual game where there are chips, drinks, coasters, etc. on the table to weigh it down. I'm also happy to report that the topper did absorb booze without any issues or stains. On the game impact, the topper did elevate the fun of the game and make it easier to play– specifically, players had an easier time self-dealing without feeling the need to put the cards in the stupid "flop, turn, river" boxes common on Barrington felts and an easier time betting (and seeing bets) since the betting line was so distinct. @aaron2786 and I both liked a simple center area, and I really liked how the black pattern highlighted the cards and chips.
I'll update if anything changes, but just wanted to again thank @rjdev7 and @aaron2786 for the great addition to my home games! As always, PM me if you're in the Pittsburgh area and are looking for a game (or just want to test the topper).
Hot damn, that did come out crisp! Thank God my guesses on line thickness etc worked out lol. Eat it, "just copy paste a tartan People"! Lol I'm just kidding, but I'm glad it came out looking awesome man, enjoy it!

Do non lighted Barrington have any room under the rail ?
There is not really any room to tuck under the rail of a normal Barrington. I would just get an actual measurement of your table.

I think that the ESPN tables actually look nice if the topper doesn't go all the way to the rail. If the lights are on then it looks nice. The ESPN has a bit more room to the rail than a standard Barrington.

There is not really any room to tuck under the rail of a normal Barrington. I would just get an actual measurement of your table.

I think that the ESPN tables actually look nice if the topper doesn't go all the way to the rail. If the lights are on then it looks nice. The ESPN has a bit more room to the rail than a standard Barrington.
My lights are still blindingly bright with the topper tucked about 1/4in underneath

My lights are still blindingly bright with the topper tucked about 1/4in underneath
@Bfow0804 from our league has two of the ESPN tables. He purchased some kind of dimmer for the lights that allows us to lower the brightness and it makes a a HUGE difference in how things look! A dimmer is a must buy if you have an ESPN table!

@Bfow0804 from our league has two of the ESPN tables. He purchased some kind of dimmer for the lights that allows us to lower the brightness and it makes a a HUGE difference in how things look! A dimmer is a must buy if you have an ESPN table!
Oh damn. I was ready to replace the whole strip and add a diffuser but starting with a dimmer would be a nice first step.

I'm still waiting for a brave soul to unscrew the stock barrington rails, raise them an 1/8" but putting a shim underneath, and then screwing them back down. This would allow a topper to tuck underneath and I have a hunch it would be a game changer. I don't have one to try otherwise I would!

I'm still waiting for a brave soul to unscrew the stock barrington rails, raise them an 1/8" but putting a shim underneath, and then screwing them back down. This would allow a topper to tuck underneath and I have a hunch it would be a game changer. I don't have one to try otherwise I would!
If I can find one sub $150 on marketplace or offerup I will do it for science!

I’m strongly considering this but maybe more than 1/8”. Closer to 1” and add a diffuser/lights.

I've been forced to store my table out in the garage for the past year or so and the particle board that the rails are made out of is starting to warp and pull away from the table. I may have to experiment with this idea and some actual plywood.

I’m strongly considering this but maybe more than 1/8”. Closer to 1” and add a diffuser/lights.
The challenge is that raising the rail is going to leave a gap around the outer edge of the barrington because it doesn't wrap around the sides and go under the table. So you'd need to experiment with some sort of rubber / filler / vinyl adhesive on the outside to fill the gap so it doesn't look shitty.

Brave soul for sure– before going down the "topper" rabbit hole, I was going to re-felt the table instead. It only took unscrewing two screws to convince me that the (5+ year old) table would never go back to the way it was if I continued...

The challenge is that raising the rail is going to leave a gap around the outer edge of the barrington because it doesn't wrap around the sides and go under the table. So you'd need to experiment with some sort of rubber / filler / vinyl adhesive on the outside to fill the gap so it doesn't look shitty.
I was going to put diffuser on both inner and outer ring and use blocking to raise the rail itself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom