Need recommendation - chips for a home cash game (6 Viewers)

Most of my poker group does a bs tourney, then afterwards I show up and we do a cash game with the same chips...all in a bar, open to walk ins. Over 5 years and only one issue, when a d-bag stole the entire money box. (We caught him)

Alright, 4 pages in, and CdnBeerLover is a fracking hero. Thanks for sending me that spreadsheet. It literally took a few min to punch in the figures and get my answers. I wish I had that spreadsheet from the get go. You would have saved me HOURS!!! I MEAN HOURS. I cant believe how simple this could have been.

You're a legend. Thank you Sir. This spreadsheet needs to be made a sticky. Big thumbs up to CdnBeerLover.

Cash game with $20 buy in, 8 players, 4 re-buys:
-requires 100 X 25c
-100 X $1
-25 X $5

Chipsheet v1.png

Tourney with 16 payers, $20 buy in, no rebuys:

-requires 150 X 25c
-150 X $1
-150 X $5
-50 X $25

Chipsheet v2 (tourney).png

Cash game with $40 buy in (if our stakes grow over time, and we can start with 100 BBs), 8 players, 4 re-buys:
-my tourney set will cover this!
-requires 150 X 25c
-150 X $1
-75 X $5

Chipsheet v4 (cash $40).png

Cash game with $40 buy in, 16 players, 8 re-buys:
-requires 200 X 25c
-200 X $1
-150 X $5

Chipsv1.png

Last edited:
Alright, 4 pages in, and CdnBeerLover is a fracking hero. Thanks for sending me that spreadsheet. It literally took a few min to punch in the figures and get my answers. I wish I had that spreadsheet from the get go. You would have saved me HOURS!!! I MEAN HOURS. I cant believe how simple this could have been.

You're a legend. Thank you Sir. This spreadsheet needs to be made a sticky. Big thumbs up to @CdnBeerLover.
That's a handy looking tool there. I wouldn't mind a look at that spreadsheet as well.

I have to have a chat with Tommy, as the forum doesn't allow spreadsheets to be uploaded. It might be a good candidate for the Resource section. It's also not perfect (there's an issue if you are using rebuys and skip denoms). Just need to tweak it a bit.

STICKY! Wait what issue? Are my numbers correct?

Most of us have created similar spreadsheets. I have one that has tabs for all my sets, and each set has its own ideal breakdown, structure, etc...

STICKY! Wait what issue? Are my numbers correct?

If you use rebuy stacks using multiple denoms, the max rebuys calculated might be incorrect if there's a gap (eg if you used both $1 and $25 chips, for example). If you use one chip type for rebuy, or consecutive chips ($5 and $25), it works fine.

Your numbers should be fine. That said, it never hurts to verify the numbers by working them out.

Last edited:
Most of us have created similar spreadsheets. I have one that has tabs for all my sets, and each set has its own ideal breakdown, structure, etc...

I figured that, which is why I didn't look into making mine available. There are likely many versions of it, and I'm sure they all work acceptably well.

If you use rebuy stacks using multiple denoms, the max rebuys calculated might be incorrect if there's a gap (eg if you used both $1 and $25 chips, for example). If you use one chip type for rebuy, or consecutive chips ($5 and $25), it works fine.

Your numbers should be fine. That said, it never hurts to verify the numbers by working them out.

I havent dug into it yet but how do I fix this?

Haha, good luck on your quest on a upgrade.. I'm also on the hunt to get my very own first legit set.. Just coming across the forum, feels so great just being here and knowing that soon I will never have to come across a pair of plastic chips again is wonderful.. Let us know what you come across..

As for the majestic<--->milano comparsion earlier, i also vote for majestic.. The colors are so much more alive as composed to the milanos which is too soft and boring for my liking :P

Someone posted a link about why the starting stack / BBs needs to be a certain amount. It was like 100 page dissertation. I cant find that link. Another thread? I want to read though it this evening if anyone has it. TY.

Haha, good luck on your quest on a upgrade.. I'm also on the hunt to get my very own first legit set.. Just coming across the forum, feels so great just being here and knowing that soon I will never have to come across a pair of plastic chips again is wonderful.. Let us know what you come across..

As for the majestic<--->milano comparsion earlier, i also vote for majestic.. The colors are so much more alive as composed to the milanos which is too soft and boring for my liking :p

Yeah but the Milanos can be ordered directly from Brybelly for much cheaper....... I dont know, so many decisions haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinkingfold. Not sure how I missed these babies! I think I ruled them out because I didnt see a 25c chip, but they could be exactly what I need. The colors look a bit bland, but at least I know that this set is my fallback at 15c a chip.

Again, I'm not opposed to spending 32c a chip for the Milanos, I just wonder what I would get for paying double the price. Lugging around 700 chips at 13g a piece would probably be a PITA so that's a plus for the Milanos.

For amateurs, do you guys feel the Milanos are worth double the price?

I've got a 2,000 set of the Showdown version of these and the are great for large tournaments. They will last a lifetime.

Someone posted a link about why the starting stack / BBs needs to be a certain amount. It was like 100 page dissertation. I cant find that link. Another thread? I want to read though it this evening if anyone has it. TY.

Me, this thread, post #82?

Guys, I think I may have found a more cost effective solution to this tourney vs cash game debacle. What do you guys think about this final setup? Do these numbers look right!!!?????

Cash game, 8 players, $20 buy-in, 4 re-buys (this is our normal game which we'll be playing in the foreseeable future):
-uses popular cash game denoms of 25c/$1/$5

Cash game final (normal).png

Cash game, 8 players, $50 buy-in, 4 re-buys (if we decide to play higher stakes and start with a more normalized 100 BB stack):
-uses popular cash game denoms of 25c/$1/$5/$25
-unfortunately I'll have to dip into the $25s here so I cant keep the tourney set completely separate from the cash set, but at least its only 8 chips in play and with 8 players, there will hopefully be a lower risk of something going wrong. It's not ideal, but its the only way I can hit the desired chip count.

Cash game final.png

Tourney, 20 players, T10,000 starting stack:
-starting stack follows traditional tournament denoms of $25/$100/$500/$1,000/$5,000, YAY.

Tourney final.png

FINAL CHIP COUNT

25c = 100
$1 = 125
$5 = 75
$25 = 175
$100 = 200
$500 = 200
$1,000 = 100
$5,000 = 25

TOTAL CHIPS = 1,000

What do you guys think????????

You need fewer 500s and more 1000s. Also, the number of 25s and 100s should be the same.

NO NO NO... You have $5000's in the cash set? Or is this a combined tourney and cash set? Only ever acceptable IF the $25's will NEVER EVER play in opposite games

I believe the intention is to separate the denoms...$5 and less for cash, and $25+ for tournament. For the larger cash games, get a few rolls of $10 chips if the set has them. Normally, those are frowned upon, but if it's a choice between those, and having the $25 in both games, get the $10. Or consider getting plaques for the cash game high denoms.

For the tournament set, I agree with @BGinGA. Do you expect to have 20 players? If you restrict it to 18 players, you can readjust a bit.

upload_2016-4-3_22-51-40.png

I love this forum. Thank you for the suggestions.

1) I need to run the numbers tomorrow to limit the tourneys to 18 players to see what can be gained in chips. This would be the easiest solution.

2) Plaques are a great idea. If I don't need many and they don't cost a lot, then they will work well and look uber cool too. I will investigate. Probably and overkill for cash games though. Also, I'm now looking at the Milano set. Don't think they have plaques?

3) As for the $10s, I had no more space left for chips in the cash set because I need 700 chips for the tourney set (capping me at 300 chips for the cash set). If I can cut the tourney set chips and add $10s to the cash set, then this will work well (albeit a crappy denom step = too many chips on the table).

4) As for the numbers of chips in the tourney set, I came up with them but clearing out the $25s and replacing them with $100s. Then I cleared out the $100s, and replaced them with $500s. Then I cleared out the $500s, and skipped a denom (the $1,000), and replaced the $500s with $5,000s.

5) Why do the number of $25s need to be the same as $100s?

6) Why fewer $500s and more $1,000? (As I said, I got these counts by clearing out the previous denom).

TY guys.

Or get 2 500 chip sets...

The cheapest option is to buy 1000 Milano chips at once.

You need fewer 500s and more 1000s. Also, the number of 25s and 100s should be the same.

I think I see where you are going with this. When I do a chip clean out, I assume I need to cash out the 8 X $25 and 8 X $100 chips at the same time, and replace them with a $1,000 chip.

So instead of cashing out the $25 for $100c and then $100 for $500, are you saying just do $25 and $100 at the same time and exchange for $1000?

But what if someone doesn't have the right amount of $25s and $100s to get to $1000?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the 25s and 100s in the tourney, they are the lowest denom. When colouring up, you'll likely use the 500s for those. And if you are colouring up less than 500 in 25s (say 8x25), add in a few 100s from their stack to bring it to 500. Having extra 100s doesn't buy you any additional flexibility.

For the 500s vs 1000s, the difference is small so you can get more mileage out of the 1000s.

When colouring up in a tourney, the simplest method is to round up. So, 3xT25 woud be replaced with T100. There are other methods (chip races) as well.

For the 25s and 100s in the tourney, they are the lowest denom. When colouring up, you'll likely use the 500s for those. And if you are colouring up less than 500 in 25s (say 8x25), add in a few 100s from their stack to bring it to 500. Having extra 100s doesn't buy you any additional flexibility.

For the 500s vs 1000s, the difference is small so you can get more mileage out of the 1000s.

When colouring up in a tourney, the simplest method is to round up. So, 3xT25 woud be replaced with T100. There are other methods (chip races) as well.

Mmmmm because if I color up to $500, I would need 36 X $500 chips to clear out all the $25s and $100s on the table (and even more chips if I'm rounding up).

I see your spreadsheet only has 17 X $500 available.

Mmmmm because if I color up to $500, I would need 36 X $500 chips to clear out all the $25s and $100s on the table (and even more chips if I'm rounding up).

You can color up $500 in the small denoms by taking an additional $500 chip and giving the player a $1000. You only need 2-3 $500s per player, since they're easy to make change for.

Use T1000 chips to replace the T25 and T100 chips. Not at the same time. Use T5000 chips to replace T500 chips (if needed).

Easiest way to color-up the extra T25 chips is to take a T1000 chip and buy 10 x T100 chips from the biggest chip stack, and use those T100 chips to color-up the loose T25s.

Another way is to have all players sell their T25 chips to the biggest stack, and then color-up the T25 all at once (except for stragglers). Use the above method for those.

As atomictoaster and BGinGA pointed out, you are not limited to only using the next highest denom when colouring up. :)

I love this forum. Thank you for the suggestions.
2) Plaques are a great idea. If I don't need many and they don't cost a lot, then they will work well and look uber cool too. I will investigate. Probably and overkill for cash games though. Also, I'm now looking at the Milano set. Don't think they have plaques?

They don't, but here's how the Majestic plaques looks next to the Milano chips. Note: Majestics don't come in cash denom plaques, just tournament (unless you're somehow James Bond in which case you should be in Monte Carlo playing with the OG plaques of the world), but you can pick up their jetons in $20 and $50 denoms to bump your cash bank if you need to.

Edit: forgot the link.

www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/majestic-plaque-set.11213/

As atomictoaster and BGinGA pointed out, you are not limited to only using the next highest denom when colouring up. :)

Eureka! If I do this, I can save on chips! Is this the way they do color-ups in real tournaments anyway (or are we using a makeshift method)?

So I tweaked my spreadsheet. What about this????

Cash game, 9 players, $50 buy-in, 5 re-buys:
-unfortunately I have to use 25c/$1/$5/$10 to make this work, but from what you guys are saying, this is still the much preferred option vs using the $25 from my tourney set
-this structure would allow for higher stakes and a 100BB starting stack, definitely improved
-if we get rid of the 25c chip at some point, this will be switched into a $5 chip (and take 2 X $1 chips off the table)

New cash.png

Tourney, 18 players, T10,000 starting stack:
-starting stack follows traditional tournament denoms of $25/$100/$500/$1,000/$5,000. Awesome!
-no risk of cash set chips making their way into tourney games and vice versa, more awesome.
-$25 & $100 chips will be replaced with $1,000 chips (seems a lot more complicated than the cash game color-up but I will have to make this work)
-I'm happy with 9 player tables both on the tourney and cash side

New tourney.png

Questions:

1) In cash games, I know the 25c/$1/$5/$25 structure is way preferred vs using a $10, but if there are only 25 X $10 chips on the table (if we have a maxed out game of 9 people and 5 rebuys), divided by say 3 players at the end of the night = ~8 chips each), is this acceptable, or is it going to hinder game play or confuse people or make cashing out difficult?

2) If I color up the 25c chip in cash games, I need to take 2 X $1 chips off the table to get the $5s on the table. Is this limiting the number of $1 chips on the table (for $1/$2 blinds which will probably be the blind cap for the evening). This is essentially 10 X $1 chips per person. Is this ok?

3) The way I'm coloring-up with the tourney set (i.e. skipping two denoms), is this the standard practice in pro tournaments or are we using a workaround? (I'm trying to mimic professional tournaments as best as possible)

4) If this chip count is correct, then I have 25 chips spare! (350 + 625 = 975). I'm buying a 1000 chip set so if I had to add another 25 chips to this set, where would you place them (i.e. I'm thinking that they should go somewhere to make color-ups easier). I could buy $1s for my cash set, allowing a color-up of the 25c without skipping a denom (this would be simpler). Or would you put them into the tourney set? Ideas?

TY guys.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom