Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (65 Viewers)

0AFE085D-67C5-4764-9940-F0F2437293CC.jpeg

For reasons that are mildly shameful though I feel like will be echoed here - I bought a bottle of whiskey and realized I already had it at home - I took inventory of every bottle I have that is whiskey or whiskey adjacent.

Thought I'd share some stats:
  • 126 Total Bottles
    • 76 Scotch Whiskey
      • 42 Islay Single Malts
      • 22 Single Malts
      • 12 Blended
    • 24 Irish
    • 9 Bourbons
    • 17 'Other' - Japan, France, Flavored
My most popular distillery:
  1. Middleton/Irish Distillers: 21
  2. Bruichladdich: 20
  3. Lagavulin: 10
Oldest:
  1. Bruichladdich Black Art 05.1 - 24
  2. GlenDronach Parliament - 21
  3. Lagavulin 16, Lagavulin DE, & Royal Lochnagar, Calumet - 16
How do you keep track of your collection?

Last edited:
My open bottles have the honor of getting their pictures copied from the internet, and placed into MS Paint on one of my three "shelves". Shelf 1 is for everybody, shelf 2 is if I like you, and shelf 3 is for when you let me win a buyin or two at poker. When the bottle is gone, with no backup, it gets erased. Shelf 2:
whiskey shelf 2.jpg

edit - I just noticed a mistake on this shelf 2. JD 10 yr is here, and that trash needs to get demoted to shelf 1.

Here it is! Granted, I've only been collecting whiskeys for a little over a week.

View attachment 1004004

Wait! I also just bought this one on Saturday! Up to 5 bottles now!!!

View attachment 1004005
You are coming in hot with the bourbons for just starting. Like pcf newbies buying up chips and skipping right to the good stuff. Not quite starting off with leaded paulsons but you are solidly in THC territory.

For reasons that are mildly shameful though I feel like will be echoed here - I bought a bottle of whiskey and realized I already had it at home - I took inventory of every bottle I have that is whiskey or whiskey adjacent.

Thought I'd share some stats:
  • 126 Total Bottles
    • 76 Scotch Whiskey
      • 42 Islay Single Malts
      • 22 Single Malts
      • 12 Blended
    • 24 Irish
    • 9 Bourbons
    • 17 'Other' - Japan, France, Flavored
My most popular distillery:
  1. Middleton/Irish Distillers: 21
  2. Bruichladdich: 20
  3. Lagavulin: 10
Oldest:
  1. Bruichladdich Black Art 05.1 - 24
  2. GlenDronach Parliament - 21
  3. Lagavulin 16, Lagavulin DE, & Royal Lochnagar - 16

I am at
104 bottles
67 bourbon
17 Rye
20 other

ECBP is a great bottle
I'm still getting used to it. On my second pour tonight. It's pretty hot and I'm not sure I have the palette yet to appreciate it. I started my first pour neat. Then added a little ice. Tonight I started with several pieces of ice. I've watched a couple of reviews and still trying to learn to pick up the various flavors.

I'm still getting used to it. On my second pour tonight. It's pretty hot and I'm not sure I have the palette yet to appreciate it. I started my first pour neat. Then added a little ice. Tonight I started with several pieces of ice. I've watched a couple of reviews and still trying to learn to pick up the various flavors.
don;t start the night with the higher proof, always start the night off with 90 or 100 ;proof to acclimate your palate and not blow it out.

don;t start the night with the higher proof, always start the night off with 90 or 100 ;proof to acclimate your palate and not blow it out.
this ^

You are likely going to have an easier time both identifying flavors and not blowing out your palette if you start off with a lower proof.

One of the things which has become pretty common in bourbon, and some really mixed information out there, are bottles that are just stupid hot. Some folks will tell you that it's more bang for your buck, some folks will tell you the esters are more present, all kinds of things. No one is really right, no one is really wrong. The nicest bit that you can't argue with is you can add some water/ice/what have you and drop it to an approachable proof.

I prefer over 46% along with bottled at what the blender thinks it tastes best at.

You are coming in hot with the bourbons for just starting. Like pcf newbies buying up chips and skipping right to the good stuff. Not quite starting off with leaded paulsons but you are solidly in THC territory.
It's not like I've never bought whiskey before. I just made a conscious decision recently that I was going to make a real attempt to learn about and appreciate the better ones since so many poker friends, plus several of my adult sons love to drink it. And to start trying to drink it neat, or with just a little ice. I've always only used it in cocktails before, so never got past the $25-30 bottles like basic Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace. Not that those aren't still very good bourbons. But these latest 5 (other than the Early Times) are an attempt to step it up a bit.

Of these 5, the Angels Envy is definitely my favorite, with the Maker's Mark Cask strength my second favorite. Those two are quite a bit more smooth than the others.

It's not like I've never bought whiskey before. I just made a conscious decision recently that I was going to make a real attempt to learn about and appreciate the better ones since so many poker friends, plus several of my adult sons love to drink it. And to start trying to drink it neat, or with just a little ice. I've always only used it in cocktails before, so never got past the $25-30 bottles like basic Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace. Not that those aren't still very good bourbons. But these latest 5 (other than the Early Times) are an attempt to step it up a bit.

Of these 5, the Angels Envy is definitely my favorite, with the Maker's Mark Cask strength my second favorite. Those two are quite a bit more smooth than the others.
yeah, been watching your progression, you just took a big step up from the basics. You've really only got allocated bourbon and then the stuff that people really hunt for left in the category from where you are now.

My open bottles have the honor of getting their pictures copied from the internet, and placed into MS Paint on one of my three "shelves". Shelf 1 is for everybody, shelf 2 is if I like you, and shelf 3 is for when you let me win a buyin or two at poker. When the bottle is gone, with no backup, it gets erased. Shelf 2:
View attachment 1004003

edit - I just noticed a mistake on this shelf 2. JD 10 yr is here, and that trash needs to get demoted to shelf 1.
What’s on shelf 3?

I can't pick out all the various raisin, carmel, Mexican balsa wood, etc. you get the idea. I can tell alcohol (proof) and I get sweet (sometimes the sweet can present a flavor or two) and oak and leather come through. Beyond that - nope. I still like what I like. There are some skank flavors out there too....bitter, funk, whatever. I too try and learn. I've been told a couple drops of water can open up a whiskey. I've experienced this the couple of times I've tried it. Ain't this hobby fun...especially when you experiment, for science of course!

yeah, been watching your progression, you just took a big step up from the basics. You've really only got allocated bourbon and then the stuff that people really hunt for left in the category from where you are now.
Yeah, the ECBP was a bit of a jump. I had originally said I was going to stick to $60 and under bottles for a while. But there was so much talk lately about C922, and then I watched a YouTube review. I'm traveling right now - staying at my sister's place in Iowa for 3 weeks, and I didn't bring anything, so I took a wild chance and stopped into a liquor store as I was passing through KC Mo. I had done some goggle searching in my hotel room the night before, and this place came up saying they had both Blanton's (at $65) and Weller 107 (at $53) in stock. Well I got there and they didn't, so I just asked if they had the ECBP. She went in the back to look, and came out carrying it. It was only $72, so not even that much over my $60 limit and pretty close to retail list, so I couldn't say no.

6 months from now you are gonna be camping out overnight to buy some obscure release :p
I would say I doubt it... But then I think about what I would have said two years ago if you had told me where I am right now in regard to poker chips...

I would say I doubt it... But then I think about what I would have said two years ago if you had told me where I am right now in regard to poker chips...
I was talking to my wife about this because doing inventory meant unshelving everything and leaving it in piles on the floor. She commented that I collect things but at least I don't hoard them. Also, I may collect a lot of something, but rarely do I collect two things at the same time. While I've been collecting Whiskey for a long time in some fits and starts, I have tailed off in collecting most other things like Warhammer in the last 3 years and Poker chips in the last 6 months.

One thing that does separate them though is that Warhammer and Poker chips you can frequently get out what you put in, or at least a large chunk. Things like Whiskey and Cigars, you are buying something to be consumed(assuming you aren't flipping bottles which I've never sold/traded a single bottle at a profit). Quite a contradiction.

I think it is fashionable to say Jim Beam is trash. I say it is good basic bourbon and I like it.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I need to try it, and the regular JD. Tbh, I have not had either since I started appreciating whiskey. My money is on trash though.

All the stuff I'll never find again, plus Seagrass. Larceny has become far more common around here since I made this, so it will be moved to shelf 2.

View attachment 1004045
Interesting- the tasting event I went to had several bottles of the Remus. So odd what’s available where.

Edit: may not have been the medley you have. This was the 2022 medley.

Last edited:
Interesting- the tasting event I went to had several bottles of the Remus. So odd what’s available where.

Edit: may not have been the medley you have. This was the 2022 medley.
It’s Remus V, 2021 batch. I doubt they ever make another like it, and if they do, it won’t be under $100. I have backups, but it was dumb luck finding those!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom