Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (51 Viewers)

BE72B32A-0DC5-4698-998F-7658F31BFA11.jpeg

Are these any good? My WT rep friend just sampled them all! Also, Wilderness Trail was recently bought out by Wild Turkey, and PA may start selling it. Which ones of those are the best?

Thanks again @JustDave!! Two very different and unique pours indeed! My notes pretty much echo Scott’s assessment of both pours as well.
3C5BF218-1CAE-4C0B-900B-360172B3FADE.jpeg
The Cherry Gobbler is really good! The nose is fantastic. Tons of vanilla and red fruits. This one tastes like a old school fountain cherry vanilla coke with a nice spicy kick on the back end. Suits my tastes perfectly!
8BCF6B10-BCD7-4F95-A434-033BD37F5FFF.jpeg
This one has a nose that really caught me off guard. There’s definitely an unusual funk to it along with the faintest of root beer. All I could taste though was that sourness with a good amount of heat. That sour oak continued throughout the finish for me and unlike Scott, I didn’t get any more of the root beer on the finish. This one wasn’t bad, but that sour funk just isn’t my jam.

Overall I much preferred the Cherry Gobbler as well. That pour was money! Thank you so much for sharing these with us. These two samples were my first ever taste of Wilderness Trail and I’d most likely buy a bottle of their juice if I ever saw one.

Really enjoying this pour. Super sweet and oaky, notes of vanilla, bright red fruit and caramel. Then tons of barrel char and oak on the finish.

View attachment 1020992
I've only had the 15, so no comparison to the 16. But this one is really good, lots going on.
how’s the 15? was contemplating getting the 16
I’ve never had the 15, only the 16. It’s good(from the guy that doesn’t like bourbon much).

For some reason people seem to be polarized on it, one or the other. Anyone had both?

I’ve never had the 15, only the 16. It’s good(from the guy that doesn’t like bourbon much).

For some reason people seem to be polarized on it, one or the other. Anyone had both?
I have both. I did a review a while back.

Notes on the 15yr:

“The nose is very floral. Most similar to Four Roses maybe. Some citrus and baking spice.

The palate is a quick, sweet cherry note, then warm heat with spice, raisins, and oak that lingers. A long finish that slowly fades out. It’s very good.”

I saw that. My local Redwood Empire dealer is also my best local Sagamore dealer. He has a lot of their products on the shelf, some overpriced. It will be interesting to see if he has the Sherry Finish and what he wants for it.

I saw that. My local Redwood Empire dealer is also my best local Sagamore dealer. He has a lot of their products on the shelf, some overpriced. It will be interesting to see if he has the Sherry Finish and what he wants for it.

Not much in OR. However, a local store has 11 bottles at $83. I will see tomorrow...

Hmmm. Rye and sherry somehow don't sound like a great combination to me. Or to my stomach, more likely.

Just asked my wife, and she said, simply, "No." :cool

Knob Creek 18

20221110_221410.jpg

Neck pour review :)

Nose: dark and earthy, lots of barrel char and oak with some subtle sweet undertones - brown sugar, molasses, maybe a bit of dark chocolate. Beam profile defintely present.

Palate: gritty, dark earthy oak tones are prominant but don't completely dominate. Just a bit of baking spice and brown sugar undertones, not nearly as sweet as the nose. Decently balanced but not overly complex. Continues to dry out on the finish. A little thin on the mouthfeel for my liking. The initial finish intensity ramps down pretty quick but does subtlety linger for a good while.

Overall pretty good but not crazy good, will need to let it breath a bit and revisit again. Need to do a 12 - 15 - 18 year flight to see how it compares (the 12 is one of my absolute favorites).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom