Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (40 Viewers)

Need to do a 12 - 15 - 18 year flight to see how it compares (the 12 is one of my absolute favorites).
Let’s schedule it. I’ll have my 18yr soon and I will open it immediately. Then, I’ll want to wait a few weeks to compare them.

Neck pour!

20221110_200325.jpg

Changing by the minute, in a good way. This is a bottle that will need some time before judgement

Neck pour!

View attachment 1021733

Changing by the minute, in a good way. This is a bottle that will need some time before judgement
I totally thought neck pours was a snob thing. But I’ve noticed cask strength smoky scotch changes massively once the bottle is about 1/4 gone and it sits a while.

Lagavulin 12 cs gets worse, octomore gets better.

OK, I'm ready to start down the Rye rabbit hole. What's a good one to start with, preferably in the $30-40 range?
Hmmm old Forrester rye is dang good for $20-25. New Riff Single barrel rye is delicious at $50ish. I even like sazerac rye for around $20-30. Wild Turkey has a rye that’s as cheap as the normal 101 that I quite enjoy. Rittenhouse is great for mixing. Chattanooga rye is great too if you like that malty taste. Bulleit rye is also great.

Man I don’t think I’ve meant a rye I haven’t liked haha. Maybe Elijah Craig rye was a bit disappointing

OK, I'm ready to start down the Rye rabbit hole. What's a good one to start with, preferably in the $30-40 range?
I really like knob creek rye. If you can spend $60 the rare bird rye is amazing.

Sagamore’s standard offering is around $40 and good, but not overly special. Other offerings are better but also cost more.

In that price range I would go Bulleit, Old Forester or Elijah Craig rye.
Elijah Craig is my favorite bourbon for every day drinking, by a good margin. But their Rye did almost nothing for me. I was like “where’s the beef?” it really disappointed me. Not bad, just unmemorable.

Personally, I’d start with either WT101 Rye or Knob Creek Rye…they’re both $35 or less and are a good transition into ryes with their minimum required rye content.

Sazerac is a good one too, but it’s a tough find around my parts.

Elijah Craig is my favorite bourbon for every day drinking, by a good margin. But their Rye did almost nothing for me. I was like “where’s the beef?” it really disappointed me. Not bad, just unmemorable.

I've mostly drank it at meetups when @Ben8257 brings it, have always enjoyed it (it usually doesn't last the full meetup lol). Maybe it's just the atmosphere and company :)

Hmmm old Forrester rye is dang good for $20-25. New Riff Single barrel rye is delicious at $50ish. I even like sazerac rye for around $20-30. Wild Turkey has a rye that’s as cheap as the normal 101 that I quite enjoy. Rittenhouse is great for mixing. Chattanooga rye is great too if you like that malty taste. Bulleit rye is also great.

Man I don’t think I’ve meant a rye I haven’t liked haha. Maybe Elijah Craig rye was a bit disappointing

Hahahaha...totally agree! I don't think I've meet a rye I didn't like!!!

Currently in the 30-40 range is HighWest DoubleRye $35 here
Shop Our Products | High West Whiskey

Thanks for this. WT101 is $21. OF100 is $25. I want to be right around 100 proof. Looks like my only other options are knob creek at $32 and Balcones at $36. Are either of them materially better?

I also found one called James E. Pepper 1776 barrel proof 115 at $43. Is that worth paying a little more for?

Thanks for this. WT101 is $21. OF100 is $25. I want to be right around 100 proof. Looks like my only other options are knob creek at $32 and Balcones at $36. Are either of them materially better?

I also found one called James E. Pepper 1776 barrel proof 115 at $43. Is that worth paying a little more for?
All three…WT, OF and KC rye are pretty damn good for the $$. I wouldn’t necessarily say the KC is “worth” the extra money, but at those price points, I’d choose the one I’m more in the mood for. All three are different enough to eventually try so you can figure out which one suits your tastes best. I love all of them.

I’ve only had a sample of the Pepper single barrel, but I thought it was terrific! Well worth the extra $$

All three…WT, OF and KC rye are pretty damn good for the $$. I wouldn’t necessarily say the KC is “worth” the extra money, but at those price points, I’d choose the one I’m more in the mood for. All three are different enough to eventually try so you can figure out which one suits your tastes best. I love all of them.

I’ve only had a sample of the Pepper single barrel, but I thought it was terrific! Well worth the extra $$
I don't think this one is single barrel.

20221111_132157.jpg

Hey guys! Thanks for all the help! I decided to go with the Old Forrester. Here was my thinking. I believe that both the WT and the KC are minimum ryes with only 51% in the mash bill. The Pepper is on my list for a possible future buy, as it is a beast with 95% rye. Not sure I'm quite ready for that yet! So the OF was the perfect choice in the middle with 65% Rye.

Also saw Buffalo Trace on the self for the first time in MANY months, so had to grab one. No hurry to open it, but it will be nice to have it on hand again.

Here's my small haul for today. We gonna have some drinks tonight!!!

20221111_144856.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom