Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (49 Viewers)

I was tempted to place an order using a credit card. Visa and MC are pretty good about protecting their cardholders. I don't think it would be a huge risk, but the more I surfed, the more obvious it became that it was a blatant rip-off. Honestly, I think they might get more hits from those of us who might actually buy some of these if their prices were closer to secondary. Hell, that Weller bundle is significantly BELOW MSRP. That's the one that put me over the edge of reality.
My guess is their target market isn’t people who know MSRP of specific bottles of alcohol.

Think about how many people just want to buy a nice bottle as a gift for their son/daughter/brother/sister/coworker/friend who’s into that stuff…maybe something in the $60-$80 range?

Last edited:
Baker's 8+ year aged, yay or nay?
IMG_3198.jpg

I was tempted to place an order using a credit card. Visa and MC are pretty good about protecting their cardholders. I don't think it would be a huge risk, but the more I surfed, the more obvious it became that it was a blatant rip-off. Honestly, I think they might get more hits from those of us who might actually buy some of these if their prices were closer to secondary. Hell, that Weller bundle is significantly BELOW MSRP. That's the one that put me over the edge of reality.
The issue is that they will say they shipped and send a fake tracking number later that shows delivered. That is where the fight begins.

My guess is their target market isn’t people who know MSRP of specific bottles of alcohol.

Think about how many people just want to buy a nice bottle as a gift for their son/daughter/brother/daughter/coworker/friend who’s into that stuff…maybe something in the $60-$80 range?
Exactly. They are looking for volume and a price level that will pull in the most suckers. I just can't imagine that 99% don't get the charges reversed when nothing shows up. Or that after so many reversed charges, that the CC companies don't stop approving the charges.

My list, in order of drinking preference:

Elijah Craig BP - this would be my desert island bottle, even the "not awesome" batches are fantastic. I usally love their C batches the best.

Jack Daniel's SBBP - this is still fairly available by me, cheaper than ECBP and another favorite. People love to knock JD, which is fine as that means more for me lol. Sweet and spicy banana pudding jet fuel.

1792 Full Proof - not quite as readily available as the JD but I know 2-3 stores that almost always have it. A hair cheaper than JD. I love pretty much all of the 1792 lineup and this is one of its best.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed - getting tougher to find now that its common knowledge how good this is, but I can still usually find it pretty easily. Probably the best value on the list.

Wasn't sure if OF 1920 was considered a barrel proof, but if so I would add that as well, probably slotted in just above 1792.

All this chatter made me realize I didn't have any 1792 FP or WTRB in the house....

20221126_161907.jpg

The others naturally just jumped into the cart while I was there. I'm like a kid at a puppy store lol. I think I'll run a nice BP flight tonight.

But first, a little pre-dinner JD bonded by the fire with an AF BTL.

20221126_164120.jpg

All this chatter made me realize I didn't have any 1792 FP or WTRB in the house....

View attachment 1029798

The others naturally just jumped into the cart while I was there. I'm like a kid at a puppy store lol. I think I'll run a nice BP flight tonight.

But first, a little pre-dinner JD bonded by the fire with an AF BTL.

View attachment 1029799
What are the specs on that OF SiB? I've read that many of them are underwhelming. Do you like it better than 1920?

I like it a lot!
I'll consider the Baker's then. That's the store owner, however, who jacks all his good stuff up to exactly secondary now (Handy $550, GTS $750, MM BRT $90, Knob 18 $250) and I don't like buying his bottles anymore. (Though I did loot his last two bottles of WT Rare Breed @$44) Have a lottery or something. Don't be greedy and pawn it off as "well everybody would buy it if I only marked it up a little". Go gaslight somebody else. He even jacked up his Jack Daniels SB BPs by at least $20 over msrp.

I'll consider the Baker's then. That's the store owner, however, who jacks all his good stuff up to exactly secondary now (Handy $550, GTS $750, MM BRT $90, Knob 18 $250) and I don't like buying his bottles anymore. (Though I did loot his last two bottles of WT Rare Breed @$44) Have a lottery or something. Don't be greedy and pawn it off as "well everybody would buy it if I only marked it up a little". Go gaslight somebody else. He even jacked up his Jack Daniels SB BPs by at least $20 over msrp.
FWIW…the price for that Baker’s is right at msrp. Exactly what I paid for my bottle a week ago. Looking forward to cracking mine…I think it’s an 8yr 7mo barrel.

What are the specs on that OF SiB? I've read that many of them are underwhelming. Do you like it better than 1920?

These are all single barrel store picks, so they can vary a good bit between barrels, I've heard many are overly hot. This one is 129 proof and from one of my favorite locals, he usually does a really good job with his picks. They had one of these OFBP a couple years back that was absolutely fantastic, one of the best bottles I've ever had - leather, tobacco and spice in addition to the standard OF 1920 profile. I was chatting with him today, he said this was really good so we'll see. If so I'm going back for a bunch more :)

who the fuck stocked that shelf and put those three things next to each other?
Even in a store that you assume puts a lot of research into shelf placement, I was surprised at Total Wine the other day when those two bottles of Calumet Farms 15 & 16 were on the bottom shelf! :eek: I almost didn't see them at all.

Even in a store that you assume puts a lot of research into shelf placement, I was surprised at Total Wine the other day when those two bottles of Calumet Farms 15 & 16 were on the bottom shelf! :eek: I almost didn't see them at all.
True. And I see the dumbest shit behind the counter sometimes. Like Angels Envy, while the Angels Envy Rye sits out on a shelf.

Total Wine emphasizes their Spirits Direct bottles on the shelves. Everything else is sorta in alphabetical order. Usually...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom