Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (53 Viewers)

My comment didn't come over like I wanted. I was saying to buy the 1792 FP SP and leave those $399.99 bottles on the shelf? (I need to proofread) LOL
I understood what you were trying to tell him. I refuse to pay stupid markup myself. That FP bottle is a steal compared to some of the secondary prices that store is asking. I’ll put my store pick 1792 FP up against many a bottle costing 2-3 times more than it. Great juice!

The Calumet 16 would be a nice gift without going crazy and that's a pretty decent price. How much were they asking for the Coy Hill?

1669671822589.png

Had Pappy 12yr and GTS… $55 total for both pours! You picked a good spot, Mel.
I picked them for the beer menu, because I am selfish like that. The rest was dumb luck. :)

Ok, so I smelled those pours, but was not brave enough to sample them.

To me, they smelled like Vin Santo (which is one of my favorite things ever). To those of you who know what Vin Santo is (@Saoliver couldn’t help here), does it taste anything like Vin Santo?

I picked them for the beer menu, because I am selfish like that. The rest was dumb luck. :)

Ok, so I smelled those pours, but was not brave enough to sample them.

To me, they smelled like Vin Santo (which is one of my favorite things ever). To those of you who know what Vin Santo is (@Saoliver couldn’t help here), does it taste anything like Vin Santo?
Had to Google Vin Santo. Looks like that is a barrel aged dessert wine that is bottled between 11 and 20% alcohol. Being barrel aged there are probably similarities in some flavors. Whiskey is bottled between 40 and 70% alcohol so the fire will be real. That is part of the appeal to some of us ;). It took me awhile to acquire the ability to taste past the fire but once there it is worth it. And some whiskeys just don't drink hot despite the high proofs.

watch the stupid christmas/winter bottle be the best tasting :-p

JW Blue came from 'someone who knows whiskey'.
Glenmorangie 18 came from a relative that said 'this is all that they drank when I was in scotland'(25 years ago).
Glenmorangie winter thing came from someone who had 'tagged along' with them to the store and had a much lower budget.
Redbreast 21 came from someone who asked.

Honestly, I'm not going to complain about any of them, I wanted the RB21, the Glenmorangie 18 covers a hole I have where I don't have many highlands as it isn't where my interests lay, the winter thing is fine, and the JW Blue... at least it will shut anyone up who doesn't know what they are looking at and makes a comment about how 'you like scotch and you don't have a bottle of blue?' so I don't have to stab them.

Quite frankly, I like JW Blue.

Sure it's blended, but that is part of the appeal to someone like me that can rarely afford to spend $200+ on a bottle. Single casks are all the rage, but damn... I've had a few that were absolute trash. Unless I get a chance to sample the barrel first, I simply do not trust them at $70+ a bottle.

Plus, it's "peatyness" is exactly on point for my taste, though YMMV. I have no issue putting it in a crystal decanter and leaving it out for anyone to try. They just won't be influenced by the label. In my house, the beverage is about the beverage - not the label, or the prestige.

Except the donkey juice... because that absolutely gets the label shown and the epic story told.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom