Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (46 Viewers)

11A2C0DD-CB70-490A-AA00-0908C80A2E96.jpeg

Quite frankly, I like JW Blue.

Sure it's blended, but that is part of the appeal to someone like me that can rarely afford to spend $200+ on a bottle. Single casks are all the rage, but damn... I've had a few that were absolute trash. Unless I get a chance to sample the barrel first, I simply do not trust them at $70+ a bottle.

Plus, it's "peatyness" is exactly on point for my taste, though YMMV. I have no issue putting it in a crystal decanter and leaving it out for anyone to try. They just won't be influenced by the label. In my house, the beverage is about the beverage - not the label, or the prestige.

Except the donkey juice... because that absolutely gets the label shown and the epic story told.
I don't dislike what's in the Johnnie Walker Blue bottle. I dislike the price tag and what goes in to it.

For that kind of money it better be something exceptional, instead it is a good blended scotch with no faults that feels a bit thin but not overly so. If it was touted as the pinnacle of blended scotch and it was $100 I'd say cool, I'd have a bottle and I wouldn't bat an eye. But it's $245/bottle here before tax, for a blended 40% abv scotch with no age statement. The next cheapest from them is sub $100 for 18 years. I'm sorry, at that point, the only thing accounting for the cost of blue is marketing.

This is the reason that, no matter how much I like the beverage, I will not submit to secondary market pricing.

Same holds true for chips. Flippers get no monies from me.
I'd say the same thing and I'd try to hold to it, but if someone were to offer me something that was genuinely rare and that I knew that I liked I'd probably, in the moment, pay over retail.

Like I have a bottle that is 1 of 299 bottles off a single barrel that a distillery put down 11 years ago in this funky french dessert wine barrel. It is maybe the nicest single bottle of scotch I've ever had a dram from. It was cheap comparatively at £125.00. When my bottle, I actually managed to get a second as well, is finally done, if you offered me another and told me you wanted more than £125.00 I'd probably pay it.

Coyhill is probably north of $800 on secondary against a bottle that retails for $69.99. It comes out every year. Drop $800 and you can get 1 of 27,000 bottles released this year.

Hey all. I’m a big fan of 1792 Full Proof. I’ve seen people mention 1792 Sweet Wheat but haven’t found it until now. The shop I found it at is looking for $55/bottle. Anyone have any feedback on Full Proof vs Sweet Wheat, the $55 price tag, etc?

Convince me to spend money!!:)!!

Hey all. I’m a big fan of 1792 Full Proof. I’ve seen people mention 1792 Sweet Wheat but haven’t found it until now. The shop I found it at is looking for $55/bottle. Anyone have any feedback on Full Proof vs Sweet Wheat, the $55 price tag, etc?

Convince me to spend money!!:)!!
I haven’t opened my Sweet Wheat. I think @gopherblue had it IIRC.

Quick, what would you pay off the shelf for
Blanton SFTB
Bookers 22-03
EHT Barrell proof
If you Wanted to drink them? My guy got some in. 99% guarantee he will be at or above secondary. But you never know. I will get there in about 50 minutes.

Quick, what would you pay off the shelf for
Blanton SFTB
Bookers 22-03
EHT Barrell proof
If you Wanted to drink them? My guy got some in. 99% guarantee he will be at or above secondary. But you never know. I will get there in about 50 minutes.
Interested in the Barrel Proof if it's reasonable.

Bookers were $99, he was out or I would own one. Either for me or somebody else.

Apparently there is a limitless supply of taters around me who will pay anything for bottles they haven’t seen. EHTBP got $450, Blanton SFTB got $550. All within the hour from when he posted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom