Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (69 Viewers)

16715001009102590039889236509288.jpg

Just finished this one. Really awesome bottle and would love to find another if it's at a decent price.

I don’t mean to have my knickers in a twist (again), but with all due respect, “neck pour” is not a thing. The whiskey isn’t trapped up there, it mingles throughout the bottle.
It's the strongest sip in the bottle. As the bottle ages alcohol starts to evaporate. That's one reason the last 1/3rd in some whiskeys get so good.....less strong more flavor.

I don’t mean to have my knickers in a twist (again), but with all due respect, “neck pour” is not a thing. The whiskey isn’t trapped up there, it mingles throughout the bottle.
While the “neck pour” is physically incorrect, whiskeys do tend to open up as they get exposed to oxygen in the bottle, just like wine does but much more slowly and subtly. I often find barrel proof bottles a little hot an astringent for the first 2-3 pours or weeks, that then soften and round out spectacularly.

It's the strongest sip in the bottle. As the bottle ages alcohol starts to evaporate. That's one reason the last 1/3rd in some whiskeys get so good.....less strong more flavor.
While the “neck pour” is physically incorrect, whiskeys do tend to open up as they get exposed to oxygen in the bottle, just like wine does but much more slowly and subtly. I often find barrel proof bottles a little hot an astringent for the first 2-3 pours or weeks, that then soften and round out spectacularly.
Didn’t alcohol evaporate in the super porous wooden barrels over all those years?

Didn’t alcohol evaporate in the super porous wooden barrels over all those years?
Water is the smaller molecule. It escapes more frequently from a barrel. So the barrel level goes down, and the proof goes up up up! How much air/oxygen gets exchanged into the barrels as they age? Who knows. But I've had enough "first pours" from bottles that were very different from subsequent pours from the same bottle that I know SOMETHING occurs after a bottle is opened. I think Mash & Drum did an experiment on this, but I forget what his conclusions were.

Managed to snag a bottle of this on Amazon today. 50% off RRP. Heard good things about it but... Any good?

Chivas-1-e1546795092860.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom