Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (28 Viewers)

I recognize that handwriting. How you like it
First sip was ass. But don't feel bad, my first sip of anything when I start drinking is ass. I should really warm up my mouth with some ass whiskey, like JD 10yr, when I first sit down, but I've drank so infrequently the last 7 months that I forget. Second sip commencing.

I'm in rye/apricot heaven. This is not 3x better than regular Seagrass to where I would pay the $250 vs $80/90, but it is very good. AND I DO NOT LIKE APRICOTS.

I forget this thread exists!

I have a thing for all things WLW.
4CFEF56C-1646-425F-89D4-20EC8D3852C4.jpeg

SO. I found 2 bottles of BTAC (ER17 and GTS) and a Pappy 15 my first year hunting. Paid retail, no tax - the BTAC was $99/bottle and the Pappy was $130 I think. I haven't found shit since and spent a ton of my time trying. My question for you guys is, what is your time worth? I mean, at what point do you shell out stupid money in order to save your most precious commodity, TIME. I guess I'm saying I'd pay over retail now that I can't find any of those bottles.....the question is how much?

SO. I found 2 bottles of BTAC (ER17 and GTS) and a Pappy 15 my first year hunting. Paid retail, no tax - the BTAC was $99/bottle and the Pappy was $130 I think. I haven't found shit since and spent a ton of my time trying. My question for you guys is, what is your time worth? I mean, at what point do you shell out stupid money in order to save your most precious commodity, TIME. I guess I'm saying I'd pay over retail now that I can't find any of those bottles.....the question is how much?
This is a very fair question and I think the answer will depend on the individual. If someone makes good money and doesn’t enjoy the effort of searching and playing the relationship’s game then I can see how buying at high prices to save time is worth it.
On the other hand if you’re someone like me who enjoys the hunt, and gets a rush when you finally score a close to msrp bottle you’ve been looking for (even if you had to sleep in your van) - then all that time spent will be worth it and part of the hobby experience.
I assume folks will all be different with what’s worth it to them.
Also, the community and learning about the actual whiskey is a huge part of it for me. Some people buy the fancy bottles just to show off how rich and important they are but never learn about them or truly enjoy them the way someone who’s spent the time learning about the bourbon does.
So I think there’s a lot to it and it’s gonna be difficult to have a one size fits all answer

The question might be better phrased as "how many hours would you be willing to sacrifice to buy X bottle at retail?"

For most bottles, my answer is zero. I have enough to drink, some of it great, without giving up any time. If the bottle in question was a Pappy 15 or a WLW, I dunno, maybe a couple hours I suppose.

The question might be better phrased as "how many hours would you be willing to sacrifice to buy X bottle at retail?"

For most bottles, my answer is zero. I have enough to drink, some of it great, without giving up any time. If the bottle in question was a Pappy 15 or a WLW, I dunno, maybe a couple hours I suppose.
If you guarantied me a pappy 23 or WLW, I'd easily give 24 hours of my life. I don't think I'd ever be presented the option to turn 24 hours into roughly 2K again.

For me, striking out in 2021 and 2022 is not acceptable given the effort and time. I feel like $1,400 is WAY too much for a GTS, but I could do $700, maybe $800 to save countless hours each year. You guys are right though this is 100% individual. My situation may be very different than others

I was very happy to pay $400 for GTS. I traded for a Handy at a good value. And also, I paid $600 for a Handy which was a hard pill to swallow. But I really wanted it.

I rarely get anything great at MSRP. But I usually can get great bottles somewhere between MSRP and secondary. For example, the RR13 I got today was $139… but $183 with tax. Oh the tax in WA.

I was very happy to pay $400 for GTS. I traded for a Handy at a good value. And also, I paid $600 for a Handy which was a hard pill to swallow. But I really wanted it.

I rarely get anything great at MSRP. But I usually can get great bottles somewhere between MSRP and secondary. For example, the RR13 I got today was $139… but $183 with tax. Oh the tax in WA.
i’d pay $140 for RR13

The guy in front of me bought the only RR13 at the store the other day for $300 + tax and I was happy and sad at the same time because I didn’t know what I would have done if I was given the decision lol

For me, striking out in 2021 and 2022 is not acceptable given the effort and time. I feel like $1,400 is WAY too much for a GTS, but I could do $700, maybe $800 to save countless hours each year. You guys are right though this is 100% individual. My situation may be very different than others
yeah, like, I pay a pretty penny for some scotch, but rarely over MSRP as it just isn't a thing people are clamouring for. I think the most over I've ever paid was like +$100. I can't/couldn't bring myself to pay a thousand dollars for a bottle of anything. Even paying 400 is something that I've done twice and I kinda still feel shitty about it and it was MSRP for something almost 30 years old.

I kinda feel like the guy who is happy with Matsuis and watching you all chase TRKs or Tigers and happy with my own little slice of the world.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom