Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (67 Viewers)

IMG_0565.jpeg

Expensive day for me two Fridays ago. Found the Little Book Chapter 1 I’ve been looking for. Probably overpaid but completed the set and was the cheapest I’ve seen it for in years. Then later in the day got asked if I was interested in a Blantons SFTB (twice).

One evening a husband and wife are sitting on their front porch drinking whiskey. The husband says, "I Love You". His wife asks, "is that you talking or the whiskey"? The husband replies, "That's me talking TO the whiskey".

Longish story, but stick with me. I made some gumbo yesterday. Sausage, chicken, shrimp, always delicious. But I have never quite perfected the texture of the shrimp. Anyway, in Chinese cooking, a technique called velveting is very common and extremely effective at producing more tender proteins, and I have used it in the past, especially with tough cuts of beef from the half-cows we purchase. So I thought I would try it on my shrimp. I had all the ingredients, cornstarch, egg whites, etc, but I did not have (and will never have) some kind of wine called Shaoxing. So I thought about substitutes. And I noticed the bottle of Alberta CS Rye on top of my fridge. And I used it. And it worked and tasted just fine. Moral of the story, cooking is a flexible process. (Whereas baking is NOT)

Longish story, but stick with me. I made some gumbo yesterday. Sausage, chicken, shrimp, always delicious. But I have never quite perfected the texture of the shrimp. Anyway, in Chinese cooking, a technique called velveting is very common and extremely effective at producing more tender proteins, and I have used it in the past, especially with tough cuts of beef from the half-cows we purchase. So I thought I would try it on my shrimp. I had all the ingredients, cornstarch, egg whites, etc, but I did not have (and will never have) some kind of wine called Shaoxing. So I thought about substitutes. And I noticed the bottle of Alberta CS Rye on top of my fridge. And I used it. And it worked and tasted just fine. Moral of the story, cooking is a flexible process. (Whereas baking is NOT)
star wars no GIF

OMG you're like my wife using Belvedere for penne vodka lol.

That coulda been a tasty old fashioned dude.

No pics, but a good 7-8 ounces of Buffalo Trace downed right before the Doobie Brothers/Steve Winwood concert and we’re in a good mood! Already heard “Can’t find my way home” so we’re right :cool
Please tell me Skunk Baxter is playing with the Doobies tonight!

Happy Wheater Wednesday.

Thank you @Billy Baroo the Bottle Slayer for sending me your outcast. I’m going to run your batch 23-02 against my 23-01 to see if it’s really that bad.

View attachment 1366273

Big Boi Owl GIF by Outkast
The nose is quite similar on both. The 23-02 might have more pronounced dark fruits.

The palate of the 23-02 is darker as well, with more Maker’s funk. The 23-01 is more caramel, less Maker’s funk, and a better finish.

The 23-02 from @Billy Baroo is fine. It’s fine. So long are you like the Maker’s funk. But I definitely prefer the 23-01.

The nose is quite similar on both. The 23-02 might have more pronounced dark fruits.

The palate of the 23-02 is darker as well, with more Maker’s funk. The 23-01 is more caramel, less Maker’s funk, and a better finish.

The 23-02 from @Billy Baroo is fine. It’s fine. So long are you like the Maker’s funk. But I definitely prefer the 23-01.
I’m glad it went to a good home for proper disposal :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve only bought one drain pour bottle over the last 4 years…that 46 CS was almost the second

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom