Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (51 Viewers)

IMG_8391.jpeg
Since I now have an “abundance” of these…might as well crack one! This was picked by the little honey hole I found out in the middle of nowhere near my daughter’s campus. Big expectations for this one!

Doing research for my trip to Islay, and looking for some PCF whisky aficionados help to earn an exclusive masterclass tasting at Laphroaig.

Just follow this link and sign up (for free) to be a Friend of Laphroaig (FOL)
https://www.laphroaig.com/create-account/?_cts_=ugDZ9ZMM

Thanks to everyone for the help, and I will take a picture of your plot of land when I visit!

Having a memorial pour this evening, we just got word that my wife's grandfather passed at 98. He was a stellar guy, and an awesome great grandfather to our kids. I've actually known him longer than my wife, he was a custodian at my middle school and we were buds way back in the day. :) Here's to you John, you'll be missed!

20241010_210619.jpg

Having a memorial pour this evening, we just got word that my wife's grandfather passed at 98. He was a stellar guy, and an awesome great grandfather to our kids. I've actually known him longer than my wife, he was a custodian at my middle school and we were buds way back in the day. :) Here's to you John, you'll be missed!

View attachment 1401367
98 is a HELLUVA run! Celebrate his life…he’s earned it and deserves that much!!

Sorry for your loss my friend

Doing research for my trip to Islay, and looking for some PCF whisky aficionados help to earn an exclusive masterclass tasting at Laphroaig.

Just follow this link and sign up (for free) to be a Friend of Laphroaig (FOL)
https://www.laphroaig.com/create-account/?_cts_=ugDZ9ZMM

Thanks to everyone for the help, and I will take a picture of your plot of land when I visit!

Wish I could tag along with you, my friend...

Islay is definitely on my bucket list.

I've been a FOL member for years, should I register again? :p

Hope to see you soon...

New to me. It’s alright. I think I’d rather have a Manhattan.

View attachment 1401883
Ok. First sip, I didn’t get it. Now I’m getting into it. It’s pretty good. Might be one of those that’s better with a big cube though.

I can’t believe I just typed that.

embarrassing parks and recreation GIF

Revisiting this bottle and I'm really digging it. Caramel, vanilla, and a musty oak that feels like it's been sitting next to a pile of ripe red apples, with subtle herbal, mint and rye hints. I usually prefer my eyes at barrel strength, but this is fantastic and dangerously crushable.

20241011_193437.jpg

Ok. First sip, I didn’t get it. Now I’m getting into it. It’s pretty good. Might be one of those that’s better with a big cube though.

I can’t believe I just typed that.

embarrassing parks and recreation GIF
Have the same batch, 100% agree - it really makes sense over a nice chunk of ice, it helps mellow out the astringent finish (I’m guessing from the bitters barrels)

Only thing holding that bottle back from being a real banger is about 10-15 more proof points. I really like that bottle.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Up front, this bottle actually reminds me of a slightly spicier Redbreast Kentucky/Missouri oak (swap in some rye for the pot still), it's got some incredibly rich and sweet vanilla and deep red fruit notes. I don't necessarily think its a proof issue, but rather the finish falls off a little too quickly for me. Still very good though, especially for $50.

Still very good though, especially for $50.
$45 is even better :) Did a little whiskey run this morning and snagged 2 backups.

20241012_195406.jpg

Also needed a backup for the KC18 since my bottle got nearly destroyed at the meet up in June lol. This appears to be batch 3, I didn't even know that was out yet, I hope it's as good as last year's. Also stumbled on a pair of ECBP C924 for $60 each :love: Can't remember the last time I found one of those that cheap. Hearing very mixed reviews on this year's C batch.

Last edited:
Took a flyer on this local Sib rye from Newark and damned glad I did.....

20241012_195907.jpg

All Points West Mid-Atlantic Pot Still Rye

Nose: Rye, chocolate and blackberry/currant notes. Full and fragrant but not overpowering.

Palate: Lively and bright, creamy sweet blackberry/raspberry jam with spicey rye and black pepper up front. The proof is there but again not overpowering. Subtle milk chocolate in the background, and just a hint of something like red licorice. Excellent full viscous mouthfeel.

Finish: Great long finish, the rye and pepper spice throttle down and the sweet berry notes linger forever, almost like a dessert port.

Overall this was crazy interesting and unique, great pick! Made a lovely pairing with a Don Pepin black cigar. Given the distillery like a half hour away, I need to make a visit!

20241012_204425.jpg

Took a flyer on this local Sib rye from Newark and damned glad I did.....

View attachment 1402382

All Points West Mid-Atlantic Pot Still Rye

Nose: Rye, chocolate and blackberry/currant notes. Full and fragrant but not overpowering.

Palate: Lively and bright, creamy sweet blackberry/raspberry jam with spicey rye and black pepper up front. The proof is there but again not overpowering. Subtle milk chocolate in the background, and just a hint of something like red licorice. Excellent full viscous mouthfeel.

Finish: Great long finish, the rye and pepper spice throttle down and the sweet berry notes linger forever, almost like a dessert port.

Overall this was crazy interesting and unique, great pick! Made a lovely pairing with a Don Pepin black cigar. Given the distillery like a half hour away, I need to make a visit!

View attachment 1402383

Love the Cuban Classic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom