Tangiers and the Quest for a Tina Hybrid Faux Inlay (1 Viewer)

Cool stuff!

Can you explain how the color wheels work?

How it lets you match inlay and chip colors?
Here's the theory visualized (example purposes only).. and why the color samples are needed.

Today we typically provide the same input color to both the inlay printer and Tina... and they both have their own variation. Goal is to match at the output level, but samples are required to get enough of a "database" of colors to do so.. hence the color wheels - which are being done on hybrids.. so will have colors for both chip and inlay.

Today's Issue (matching inputs):

today.png

Sample-Informed Color Matching (matching outputs):

Theory.png

But this is also reliant on both Tina and the inlay supplier holding to some consistency (where I think the possibility of "failure" comes in).. but anything is better than today.. and hope is that both Tina and the Inlay supplier are consistent enough.

Last edited:
I love my 43mm Lunar Landing because they're so well made, special, and the greater canvass affords it a more detailed inlay. So yeah, 43mm. But I would definitely buy these in either size - at the end of the day, it's your BBQ, and it tastes good

V4:
  • All redone on 39mm/Tangiers Mold w/ standard 24mm label - thanks all for the feedback!
  • Inlay adjusted to remove majority of remaining edge-space (knowing inlay supplier will add excess space on edges - but will likely run a trial with more border and without in the first test run to make sure it comes out OK)
Will also make a 1000, 5000, 25k chip later. Praying now that we can get the color match to work.. because my wallet is crying out asking to remove some money from it.

mockup.png

V4:
  • All redone on 39mm/Tangiers Mold w/ standard 24mm label - thanks all for the feedback!
  • Inlay adjusted to remove majority of remaining edge-space (knowing inlay supplier will add excess space on edges - but will likely run a trial with more border and without in the first test run to make sure it comes out OK)
Will also make a 1000, 5000, 25k chip later. Praying now that we can get the color match to work.. because my wallet is crying out asking to remove some money from it.

View attachment 1383120
friday ice GIF

@Cratty, I don't know who you are or where you came from, but I do know that you are absolutely incredible at chip design and an inspiration to me (a novice who LOVES this stuff but has no official graphic design background). Just wanted to give you some major props on everything I'm seeing from you lately. All the way down to the little things in your mockups like chip textures... color and edge-spot choices.... one day I hope to get to 33% of your skill level. Thank you for sharing your gifts and skills with all of us!

But this is also reliant on both Tina and the inlay supplier holding to some consistency (where I think the possibility of "failure" comes in).. but anything is better than today.. and hope is that both Tina and the Inlay supplier are consistent enough.
I'm so happy you're doing this test! I hope that you are able to cross reference enough "close enough" chip-to-inlay matches that we can create a library of RGB or HEX that work between a chip color and inlay. However, I have one fear (see below)...
I love my 43mm Lunar Landing because they're so well made, special, and the greater canvass affords it a more detailed inlay. So yeah, 43mm. But I would definitely buy these in either size - at the end of the day, it's your BBQ, and it tastes good
I'm going to be honest and say that (so far) the Lunar Landing chips are the only chips I've ordered from Tina where the inlay stickers actually closely matched what I created, in terms of detail and color.

My fear is that Tina doesn't use only 1 manufacturer for labels. The LL chips were a 15/10 in terms of how they turned out, but the other 5 orders I've placed have been a real big shot in the dark....

My Neon Nights labels are laughably different for some of the denoms (like a cyan denom printing middle green, or a bright purple denom printing dark royal blue). I can't imagine there's any way that the same printer that printed LL printed NN. If so, I think it's even more critical to gain some level of mapping for how screen colors will print.

Anyways, I'm crossing my fingers that this endeavor will yield some clarity we can build on.

V4:

View attachment 1383120
Love it bro. Love it. (I would make LV NV black)

Also like the sword in the house mold vs the camel.

@Cratty, I don't know who you are or where you came from, but I do know that you are absolutely incredible at chip design and an inspiration to me (a novice who LOVES this stuff but has no official graphic design background). Just wanted to give you some major props on everything I'm seeing from you lately. All the way down to the little things in your mockups like chip textures... color and edge-spot choices.... one day I hope to get to 33% of your skill level. Thank you for sharing your gifts and skills with all of us!

I'm so happy you're doing this test! I hope that you are able to cross reference enough "close enough" chip-to-inlay matches that we can create a library of RGB or HEX that work between a chip color and inlay. However, I have one fear (see below)...

I'm going to be honest and say that (so far) the Lunar Landing chips are the only chips I've ordered from Tina where the inlay stickers actually closely matched what I created, in terms of detail and color.

My fear is that Tina doesn't use only 1 manufacturer for labels. The LL chips were a 15/10 in terms of how they turned out, but the other 5 orders I've placed have been a real big shot in the dark....

My Neon Nights labels are laughably different for some of the denoms (like a cyan denom printing middle green, or a bright purple denom printing dark royal blue). I can't imagine there's any way that the same printer that printed LL printed NN. If so, I think it's even more critical to gain some level of mapping for how screen colors will print.

Anyways, I'm crossing my fingers that this endeavor will yield some clarity we can build on.
Thanks! And good thoughts/learnings on the inlay supplier. I'll clarify that the same inlay supplier needs to be used that produces the sample chip (if that's possible - just to try to do anything we can to limit issues), knowing that variation still may exist between runs, but hopefully minimal at that point.

In the end though... if it doesn't feel like we can absolutely nail it.. I'm OK to abort the faux inlay in favor of a more traditional/standard one or the overall concept in general. Cautiously optimistic right now.. but open to letting the wind blow me over to either side of the fence.

Last edited:
Thanks! And good thoughts/learnings on the inlay supplier. I'll clarify that the same inlay supplier needs to be used that produces the sample chip (if that's possible - just to try to do anything we can to limit issues), knowing that variation still may exist between runs, but hopefully minimal at that point.

In the end though... if it doesn't feel like we can absolutely nail it.. I'm OK to abort the faux inlay in favor of a more traditional/standard one or the overall concept in general. Cautiously optimistic right now.. but open to letting the wind blow me over to either side of the fence.
Sounds good.

Also, I'm wondering whether we could rely on some of the domestic label suppliers to fill that void if we can't get consistency from Tina's vendor. Tina has sent me finished chips with no labels, so if this project doesn't work out, maybe there is a more local, reliable, and still cost-effective avenue...???

Yeah, I'm stubborn but listening.. ha.. I'll toy around with it in the next revision.
Might consider two new versions of the hex shape -- one with convex lines, and one with concave lines. The standard hex has always been on of my least favorite shapes.

V4:

View attachment 1383120
Will these be real or fake molds?

Thanks, @justincarothers - already interesting/telling just by first Tina photo of the sample chips/labels, but excited to get these in hand now to compare live!
Damn that's cool! Do you notice any big differences with the colors you sent compared to the live samples? imo most colors look low saturation but that could be the picture also.

Damn that's cool! Do you notice any big differences with the colors you sent compared to the live samples? imo most colors look low saturation but that could be the picture also.
Yeah, I've definitely noticed the camera Tina uses has low saturation vs reality. I need to do a full compare later and then ultimately with the set in-hand and a better camera, but my quick assessment is that the label supplier generally just goes darker, whereas Tina goes intermittently lighter and struggles with magentas (which is not a new finding, but interesting to compare now in this context).

Last edited:
I’ve had trouble dialing in blues and teals with Tina, but from your sample photo it looks like there may be hope for high saturation blues hues!

Thanks, @justincarothers - already interesting/telling just by first Tina photo of the sample chips/labels, but excited to get these in hand now to compare live!

View attachment 1386548
I kinda want a set like this lolol

Those are labeled correct? I love seeing stuff like this where we get down to the nuts and bolts

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom