Things That Are Bullsh*t (12 Viewers)

I'm special. But like.... I try to be respectful.....
You left beef jerky crumbs in the guest bed! Now my dog refuses to eat his kibble unless I sprinkle some beef jerky on it!

Look Whos Talking Now Omg GIF

I'm a 20-25% tipper generally.

Took the wife and Trey out for dinner today. Restaurant was pretty empty, as it was a tad early, yet. (Shields in Southfield, for the locals.)

Service started okay, but fell way off by mid-meal. I needed a refill and she didn't come around until I was almost finished, then didn't bring me a refill until after I was done. We sat there for like 10 minutes waiting for our bill, then another 15 minutes after she took my card. All the while, I'm thinking, she's getting 15%, rounded down.

Bill comes back and a 16% "auto-tip" was added, with a spot for me to add an additional tip.

That's some bullshit.

Bill comes back and a 16% "auto-tip" was added, with a spot for me to add an additional tip.
That's extortion, and no way I'm paying it unless I was notified beforehand that it was going to be added.

Diet culture is f*cking bullsh*t.

I’m overweight, I know exactly why, and it’s entirely my own fault, but the stuff people try to shove down my throat to fix it that doesn’t contain “exercise” or “portion control” is garbage.

I’m overweight, I know exactly why, and it’s entirely my own fault, but the stuff people try to shove down my throat to fix it that doesn’t contain “exercise” or “portion control” is garbage.

Lot of money to be made peddling bullshit. Has always been. Will always be.

Want to jump on the next weight support/challenge bet?

Last one I lost (on a nice 4 loss streak) to @kmc and ended up paying him $700+ and I have to get the below as a tattoo:

DAE401CE-7696-42DA-AEFF-30FB7FEE5F0A.png

I personally save my disgust and angst for waitstaff that wear strong/distinctive cologne/perfume. There’s simply no excuse (including ignorance, the foh manager should be smelling and sending people home). Go go gadget old man at clouds!
Along that line, people who wear cologne/perfume on airplanes or at the office are bullshit. I usually end up with a splitting headache within minutes

Want to jump on the next weight support/challenge bet?
Appreciate the offer, but right now I’m at the stage of trying to figure out my long-term approach vs short-term/time period results.

I was 380lbs at my peak (I’m 6’0” tall.) I lost over 200lbs about 12 years ago. Then ballooned back up to 320lbs in the course of about 2 years. Then maintained at around 275lbs for a long while. About a year ago I was down to 180lbs after doing keto for a year. Gained back up to 275lbs after stopping.

I panicked and jumped on keto again and have lost about 25lbs in the past 2 months, but it’s just not sustainable and I’m sick of all the stuff people try to sell that is “keto-friendly” (hence the bullsh*t thread post.) I’m getting too old to keep doing this every few years because of the toll it’s taking on my body, in addition to the extremely negative impact on my mental health.

I'm a 20-25% tipper generally.

Took the wife and Trey out for dinner today. Restaurant was pretty empty, as it was a tad early, yet. (Shields in Southfield, for the locals.)

Service started okay, but fell way off by mid-meal. I needed a refill and she didn't come around until I was almost finished, then didn't bring me a refill until after I was done. We sat there for like 10 minutes waiting for our bill, then another 15 minutes after she took my card. All the while, I'm thinking, she's getting 15%, rounded down.

That's some bullshit.
Auto-tip for a party of 3? Nope, nope, nope. I'm like you, most always 20-25%. But with an expectation of at least acceptable service. Sounds to me like the auto-tip at that place has created an atmosphere where the servers feel like they don't need to put in much effort. I'm absolutely having a conversation with the manager. Did you not do that?

Olympic basketball MVP?
Why?
Do the other Olympic team sports do this crap?

Olympic basketball MVP?
Why?
Do the other Olympic team sports do this crap?
A quick Google search says yes apparently. For soccer, handball, volleyball, etc. They’re tournament MVPs. I think we just don’t hear about it unless actually watching post event happenings on those sports.

Funnily enough it gets deeper, they even have things like all star teams.

“James also made the Olympic All-Star Five, joining Team USA's Stephen Curry, Nikola Jokic of Serbia, France's Victor Wembanyama and Dennis Schroder of Germany.”

The difference between 15% rounded down and 16% was less than 2 bucks.

I'm not wasting my breath (or any more of my time) to have that conversation, but I won't be back to that restaurant anytime soon.
That’s exactly why you should talk to the manager. If it’s a quality restaurant that you enjoyed, the manager will attempt to make it right to ensure you come back. If the waitress is a bad waitress, they can replace her. But they can’t change a bad impression who will surely tell others.

I'm not wasting my breath (or any more of my time) to have that conversation, but I won't be back to that restaurant anytime soon.
Amen! It’s like Gordon Ramsay often tellls restaurant owners - customers don’t want to complain; they’ll simply never come back. So get it right the first time.

A quick Google search says yes apparently. For soccer, handball, volleyball, etc. They’re tournament MVPs. I think we just don’t hear about it unless actually watching post event happenings on those sports.

Funnily enough it gets deeper, they even have things like all star teams.

“James also made the Olympic All-Star Five, joining Team USA's Stephen Curry, Nikola Jokic of Serbia, France's Victor Wembanyama and Dennis Schroder of Germany.”
I appreciate the insight. Something about it feels very wrong to me. But I came up in an era where the Olympics were all amateurs and there was something totally pure about the experience that we didn’t get out of our other pro sports.
And in that sense, this mvp business just feels wrong to me. Your team worked together to win a gold medal for your nation - who cares who scored the most points. It’s one time in team sports where the individual shouldnt matter.
At least that’s my gut reaction.

The conversation has nothing to do with getting anything taken off the bill. If I liked the food and the atmosphere, but was unhappy with the service and the auto-tip, I'm letting the manager know that's why I'm probably not coming back. He may or may not do anything or even give a rip, but I'm going to give him the chance to win back my business.

That’s exactly why you should talk to the manager. If it’s a quality restaurant that you enjoyed, the manager will attempt to make it right to ensure you come back. If the waitress is a bad waitress, they can replace her. But they can’t change a bad impression who will surely tell others.
This.
Amen! It’s like Gordon Ramsay often tellls restaurant owners - customers don’t want to complain; they’ll simply never come back. So get it right the first time.
I guess GR has never met me. LOL. I've definitely embarrassed my wife and kids on numerous occasions. Just because they don't want the confrontation, not because I misbehaved. I'm very courteous, and I'm only telling them stuff that a good manager would want to hear.

I guess GR has never met me. LOL. I've definitely embarrassed my wife and kids on numerous occasions. Just because they don't want the confrontation, not because I misbehaved. I'm very courteous, and I'm only telling them stuff that a good manager would want to hear.
It's not about confrontation for me. I'll do it with all kinds of businesses - complain, compliment, offer unsolicited advice. Believe me, I've ratted out lousy dealers to the floor. But there's something about a restaurant that's different. I'm completely off duty, you know. I don't think I've ever sent a plate back in my life. I've gotten the wrong dish and eaten it (I didn't order the salmon!) I just want to eat at the same time as my family or friends and enjoy the meal together.

But this issue specifically? A mandatory 16% tip for a party of 3? The manager doesn't need me to tell him that's an asshole policy. It's unheard of! Any good manager knows that.

I appreciate the insight. Something about it feels very wrong to me. But I came up in an era where the Olympics were all amateurs and there was something totally pure about the experience that we didn’t get out of our other pro sports.
And in that sense, this mvp business just feels wrong to me. Your team worked together to win a gold medal for your nation - who cares who scored the most points. It’s one time in team sports where the individual shouldnt matter.
At least that’s my gut reaction.
Most higher level competitions/tournaments recognize the stellar performance of an individual irregardless of their team's performance. It's not an insult to anyone but rather a way to acknowledge a stand out performance in that event. It's always statistics based and there's pride when one of your teammates is honored.

The conversation has nothing to do with getting anything taken off the bill.
I'm pretty tolerant of mediocre service - everybody has a bad night, and as long as I enjoyed the food and wasn't too put out, no big deal.

But on those rare occasions when things are really bad, I always pay the check first before complaining. I want to make it clear that I'm not just scamming for a freebie or a discount, and that your business is at risk of losing me as a customer.

I'm pretty tolerant of mediocre service - everybody has a bad night, and as long as I enjoyed the food and wasn't too put out, no big deal.

But on those rare occasions when things are really bad, I always pay the check first before complaining. I want to make it clear that I'm not just scamming for a freebie or a discount, and that your business is at risk of losing me as a customer.
This is GREAT advice! Thank you for sharing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom