What are you listening to? (5 Viewers)

their older stuff might not have been at the time it was released. at this point the above and basically their entire catalog would fit just fine on top 40 stations right alongside blink 182, etc.

But I'd still call Blink182 a pop-punk band. I don't think what I heard from that (I didn't play the whole thing) resonates with anything I consider punk. I think the Offspring are similarly mislabeled as punk, when their sensibilities are more from metal and hard rock traditions than punk traditions. There's a little tiny bit of punk influence there, but it is a minority contribution in my impeccably cultivated punk rock opinion.

But I'd still call Blink182 a pop-punk band. I don't think what I heard from that (I didn't play the whole thing) resonates with anything I consider punk. I think the Offspring are similarly mislabeled as punk, when their sensibilities are more from metal and hard rock traditions than punk traditions. There's a little tiny bit of punk influence there, but it is a minority contribution in my impeccably cultivated punk rock opinion.

people have been arguing since 77 about whether something is punk. it's a pretty meaningless discussion as is every classification of genre unless self consciously expressed by the artist as a means of contextualizing their work.

Punk to me is the lifestyle foremost then music secondly. As for the music I personally classify punk rock as rebellious in nature. Whether is be political or social awareness etc.
I have associated punk with kids skateboarding at the skate park, surfing and huge mosh pits and stage diving. So to classify punk is tough. There has to be sub divisions of it at least - pop punk, skate punk, hardcore punk, and heck even ....'nazi punk'.
But to say Strungout would fit in a local big city rock radio station is a bit of a stretch IMO. I have heard a Bad Religion song once on my cities big rock station but it was after 8pm and it was one of their softer slower songs.

I have heard a Bad Religion song once on my cities big rock station but it was after 8pm and it was one of their softer slower songs.

this could only be the case if you just weren't paying attention. every bad religion album since 1994 has produced hit singles that were in rotation in every major market in north america.

Going to see Spoon open for The Decemberists tomorrow. (make sure you check out mariner's revenge to the end) Also, Wilco is coming to town and we already have tickets for Phish in July!! Looking forward to having some fun!

Last edited:
If you go back a few pages I posted some great punk songs. IMO, punk is definitely music first, then attitude....or both simultaneously. Punk is RAW distorted fast paced music with an aggressive edge and an attitude that fucks your sister in her ear pussy.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, look at the music I am about to go see!! (really excited!!)

people have been arguing since 77 about whether something is punk. it's a pretty meaningless discussion as is every classification of genre unless self consciously expressed by the artist as a means of contextualizing their work.

You overlook one key fact: I am the arbiter of what is and what isn't punk.

I've been listening to Pond lately out of Australia. Maybe they're huge and I'm too old to know better, but they are new to me and I discovered them accidentally. They're all over the map in terms of sound, since they promote rotating band members in and out for both recording and touring. Mostly the sound is psychedelic rock with some pop notes.

Couple tunes:

XanMan

Moth Wings

Beirut has a new album out 11 Sep so I've been received during some of the band's stuff

Didn't this thread used to be a sticky?

I've also been listening to the new Tallest Man on Earth album.

It's good. Feels a bit too polished IMO, a little overproduced in places. I liked the raggedy production on his earlier (self-produced?) albums. He's heading a bit too far in the other direction but a very strong album nonetheless. :)

I've been listening to these guys a bit lately.

Australian Hip Hop. Not every bodies cup of tea but I've been a fan of Hilltop Hoods since I was 12.

I've also been listening to the new Tallest Man on Earth album.

It's good. Feels a bit too polished IMO, a little overproduced in places. I liked the raggedy production on his earlier (self-produced?) albums. He's heading a bit too far in the other direction but a very strong album nonetheless. :)

yeah i think he peaked at the Wild Hunt. not to say his next album isn't good, but he sort of has a thing and that thing was perfectly executed on the Wild Hunt. haven't heard the new one, but i'm sure i'll get to it at some point.

i've been jamming Bocephus quite a bit lately:

and Jenny Lewis who i just could not love more. her debut solo was fantasic, her second album even better, and her latest last year was an even further improvement. one of the rare artists who is better as a solo than in the context of her great previous band (Rilo Kiley).

Best rendition of MacArthur Park ever produced:

Last edited:

Perhaps my favorite song ever written.......Trey use to fart arpeggios! What happened to this type of song writing?

Some of the songs that mysteriously were on random (and repeating) in my car the days leading up to our accepted offer on a home:

I couldn't find this thread - it had disappeared from my browser view even though it was a sticky.

Turns out I'd accidentally put jbutler on ignore, which hides all user content (incl started threads). You were keeping Mojo company.

I thought you were suspiciously quiet. I figured you were on holiday or sutin! :D

Maidens new album hits September 4th, looking forward to it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434830860.402839.jpg

I couldn't find this thread - it had disappeared from my browser view even though it was a sticky.

Turns out I'd accidentally put jbutler on ignore, which hides all user content (incl started threads). You were keeping Mojo company.

I thought you were suspiciously quiet. I figured you were on holiday or sutin! :D

you momentarily joined quite a respectable club - those who have me on ignore :) welcome back to the land of those with less discriminating taste.

spending the summer weekend grinding out code and listening to early '80s throwvbacks. Right now, Femme's 2nd album.

i'm tempted to say i like hallowed ground more than the debut, but i think they're honestly just about tied. i've always been surprised how many people love the debut and never even bothered to listen to the second album.

the third - blind leading the naked - is good, but obviously not of the quality of the first two. while there are a bunch of great tracks from later femmes albums, the albums as a whole after blind are just okay imo.

lately i've been listening to a lot of female pop/rock singers. HAIM's debut came out a couple years ago and i liked it then, but for some reason it's been getting a lot more play recently. then i saw them do a great (and not ironic) cover of strong enough by sheryl crow (radio dj intro - song starts at 1:10):

and THEN i saw danielle haim and blake mills do a fucking PHENOMENAL cover of heart of mine by dylan:

been jamming a lot of david dondero lately. he just gets better and better and better as he goes on. one of the best songwriters working imo.

a full band cut:

and a quieter one (more typical of his stuff):

also been listening to clipse's we got it 4 cheap mixtapes which sound just as good now as when they were released. took me a minute to track down my preferred mix of this one on youtube:

Thanks. Enjoyed it. Waiting for the Thrill to come back to mee.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom