No Men in No Man's Land

(live debut)

Weekapaug Groove

Boogie On Reggae Woman

(Stevie Wonder cover)

Chalk Dust Torture

Encore:

Theme From the Bottom

We floated the river for night one. We are going in tonight. I predict a Reba, Divided Sky, Harry Hood, and a Maze. Can't wait!!

Smashing Pumpkins played about 20 minutes away from my house a few weeks ago...didn't get to go due to my son's baseball tournament. Kids....

I can't believe they are on tour with Marilyn Manson right now. I would go see the show if they were playing Gish and Antichrist Superstar in their entirety.

I'd take a live playthrough of Gish, Siamese Dream, or Mellon Collie for sure. I saw Marilyn Manson open for NIN before I had ever heard of him. Wow...was that an unexpected experience! Lol

I'd take a live playthrough of Gish, Siamese Dream, or Mellon Collie for sure. I saw Marilyn Manson open for NIN before I had ever heard of him. Wow...was that an unexpected experience! Lol
I could do Siamese Dream as well, and about half of Mellon Collie.

I imagine seeing Manson that early and not knowing what to expect would be quite a shock!! I saw him on the Golden Age of the Grotesque tour. A tiny little bit past the prime of his touring days, but was still a great show.

IMG_20150723_071308.jpg

I can't believe they are on tour with Marilyn Manson right now. I would go see the show if they were playing Gish and Antichrist Superstar in their entirety.

my vote would be for gish and portrait of an american family, but i would probably take superstar. still don't think i would want to see either of them nowadays just because (1) the crowds would be too damn huge and (2) the spark seems gone from live performances i've seen.

i saw that same tour, gene and it was fantastic. i haven't followed either band over the last five years or so, but trent reznor's scores for fincher films (social network, dragon tattoo, gone girl) have been phenomenal.

Phish 7/22

Set 1:

Stash

How Many People Are You

(Mike Gordon song) (live debut by Phish)

Winterqueen

Heavy Rotation

(Page McConnell song) (live debut by Phish)

Back on the Train

Scabbard

(Trey Anastasio Band cover) (live debut by Phish)

Maze

(with Do You Feel Like We Do tease)

Mercury

(live debut)

Possum

Set 2:

A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing

Waves

Wingsuit

Farmhouse

Simple

First Tube

Encore:

Bathtub Gin

(with The Little Drummer Boy tease)

Great show: highlights were train, maze, possum, simple, and first tube. All those songs peaked with enormous amounts of energy. I was bummed not to see: divided sky, harry hood, reba, or antelope. Lots of debuts though, had a blast!

my vote would be for gish and portrait of an american family, but i would probably take superstar. still don't think i would want to see either of them nowadays just because (1) the crowds would be too damn huge and (2) the spark seems gone from live performances i've seen.

i saw that same tour, gene and it was fantastic. i haven't followed either band over the last five years or so, but trent reznor's scores for fincher films (social network, dragon tattoo, gone girl) have been phenomenal.

I haven't seen/heard anything recent from either band. A buddy of mine said the new Manson was actually worth listening to, though I haven't sought it out yet. I would love to see all of Portrait live. That album is amazing, but I think Antichrist is just slightly more focused and very well put together. Mechanical Animals is the last really good album. Every album since has been half good songs, half crap.

i'm sure i've put at least one of these in this or the old CT thread at some point, but the hold steady always deserve the attention.

this first one has one of my favorite opening lyrics to any song:

they got to the part with the cattle and the creeping things,
said i'm pretty sure we've heard this one before,
don't it end up in some revelation with four guys on horses and violent red visions,
famine and death and pestilence and war,
i'm pretty sure i heard this one before

and then later another of my favorite lines in the same song:

i guess i heard about original sin,
i heard the dude blamed the chick,
i heard the chick blamed the snake,
i heard they were naked when they got busted
and i heard things ain't been the same since

and then one of the best closing tracks ever and with such a sick riff:

and my current "on repeat" track, the closer from their first album:

and another one with one of my favorite lyrics:

the devil and john berryman they took a walk together
and they ended up on washington talking to the river
he said, "i've surrounded myself with doctors and deep thinkers
their big heads and soft bodies make for lousy lovers"

there was that night that we thought john berryman could fly,
but he didn't so he died,
she said, "you're pretty good with words, but words won't save your life,"
and they didn't, so he died

Today I've been listening to a lot of Umphrey's McGee..one of my all time favorite groups. Good work music.

Been Watching "Strike Back" series a lot and now I'm already in season 5 (season 4 in the US). I love the theme.

Last edited:
not sure if I have ever posted this here or on CT. I am getting my disco on (and I don't even have any blow)

Thinking about going to see these guys mid August. Never got to see them in their heyday and they are one I regret not seeing...

Can't beat Motörhead. Actually, in this damaged case only Lemmy boosted with Metallica:

Tonight: a bunch of Chuck Prophet, starting with Freckle.

We're headed to Key West in a couple of weeks for our 12th/24th anniversary. But every time we've gone out to dinner lately in the Mini with XM, they've played Guns 'n Roses "I Used to Love Her (but I Had to Kill Her)":
------------------
I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I used to love her, Mm, yeah
But I had to kill her
I had to put her six feet under
And I can still hear her complain

I used to love her, Oo, yeah
But I had to kill her
I used to love her, Oo, yeah
But I had to kill her
I knew I'd miss her
So I had to keep her
She's buried right in my backyard
Oh yeah, Oo yeah, whoa, oh yeah

I used to love her
But I had to kill her
But I had to kill her
She bitched so much, She drove me nuts
And now I'm happier this way, yeah
Whoa, oh yeah

I used to love her
But I had to kill her
But I had to kill her
I had to put her, Oo, six feet under
And I can still hear her complain
---------------

I think she's starting to get nervous... :eek:

Last edited:
We're seeing Steely Dan in ten days, with Elvis Costello opening.

Haven't seen them in a few years, so we're hoping it's a great show...

seen steely dan, but never elvis. one of those great bills where you can't tell who should be opening for who imo. i'm sure it will be a fantastic show.

I sort of saw Elvis Costello. I was coming home from a 16 hour shift a couple decades ago, and a friend had 2 tix and no ride. In exchange for the ride, he offered to do all the driving (using my car), buy dinner, gas, a ticket for free, plus $100. (2.5 hour ride each way).

The show was at an outdoor venue with lawn seating behind the seats. I grabbed 2 comforters, and went to the back of the lawn, took a 2 hour nap, and watched the last hour. He played for 3 hours with no opening act. THe last hour was pretty good. I don't remember it, but I remember thinking it was good. My brain was a little foggy.

Listening to stuff I haven't in a long time to see how it holds up and these guys did just fine. I saw these guys get booed off the stage when they opened up for Mudvayne many blue moons ago. The order for the show was, IIRC, Mushroomhead, American Head Charge, Flaw, then Mudvayne. Flaw got booed off when they started their last song "Only the Strong." I posted both versions of the song. They decided to go with the piano version at the show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom