What are you listening to? (5 Viewers)

Probably one of the most underrated and forgotten bands from the 80s. Great players. Rik Emmett is one of the all time great guitar virtuosos.

While I'm in the eye of the storm...

Some Alexi Murdoch came on Keri's mp3 player on shuffle. I posted the second of these on Ol' Bloo but the first I don't recall paying much heed at the time.

I've not checked out his 2009 album Towards The Sun but will do shortly. At some point...

Found this on Pandora.....never saw the Corona commercial. Cool song.

I am the guy, who is laughed at, when I tell my true music is90ies rap

You and me both, bro. Doesn't help me much that outside of 90s hip hop I'm a musical idiot.

Souls of Mischief: "93 'Till Infinity"

I used the line "You look great, let's grub now" on a semi-blind date in college. She knew of me but didn't really know me. The date didn't last very long. She told me to "grow up" and that's before we stopped at the liquor store for 40s on the way to a party.

Lords of the Underground: "Chief Rocka"

We used to go to a bar in college that had "Drinkin' with Lincoln" 5 cent beers until someone got up from the bar. You didn't sit unless you were poor, had a great bladder, or both. Anyway, it was during this song that my best friend pissed on my shoes for the first time. It wouldn't be the last time. He was poor but had virtually no bladder, and it wouldn't be our last weekend there.

The Pharcyde: "Passin' Me By"

I broke up with a girl in college and 15 minutes later (it may have been 20 minutes, certainly no longer than 30 minutes) one my best friends was banging her brains out in the shared bathroom on our floor. This song was on down the hall. Weirdly, we ended up at her house late that night for a keg party where the song was playing again. We promptly got into a fight, took their quarter barrel of Natural Light, and dragged it into the woods where 4 of us drank from it until we killed it. I'm not sure what happened after that. We probably went back to that bar so my buddy could piss on me feet again.

Nice & Smoth: "Sometimes I Rhyme Slow" (you'll recognize the beat right away)

One of my favorite rap songs of all time. I dropped 22 points in a rec league basketball game (all-time high for me) and then we got hammered and played videos games with this song playing continuously for like 4 hours.

Gang Starr: "Code of the Streets"

As mentioned previously....

Ed OG and Da Bulldogs: "I Got To Have It"

Multiple references to a local town (Roxbury). It's a travesty that I can't find this on the Apple Tunes store anywhere.

Heavy D: "The Overweight Lovers In The House"

This is late 80s. Heavy D had a bunch of fairly good tunes (We Got Our Own Thang was probably his most popular song). This video does some weird things with the song, like a faux scratch gone bad, but anyway, this song always makes me smile. A very good friend of mine was the best player on our high school basketball team, but he was "chunky" and couldn' gett laid to save his life. His last name started with D so we called him Heavy D during practice frequently. Anyway, when we played at home and he'd start banging three-pointers, we'd sing this song on the bench. Fun times for a benchwarmer like me.

Public Enemy: Really, anything from Fear of a Black Planet or It Takes a Nation of Millions

Included a link for Welcome to the Terrordome, but there are a ton of great tracks on both albums. There was a fun ad during the NBA All-Star Game tonight where LeBron James is getting ready for training very early in the AM and the camera pans through other early-risers starting their day in various professions (cops, delivery people, all sorts of types). All of them were mouthing the words to this song and then LeBron does a thing at the end. Pretty cool moment during an otherwise awful All Star game.

EPMD: Strictly Business entire album

Not a bad track on the whole damn thing

Last edited:
We have a cable station here in the States that plays old school rap. One of the staples is C.R.E.A.M. from WuTang. You can't listen to the station for more than 4 hours and not hear it at least once.

You have a great taste of music buddy!
in a few weeks the lords of the underground are coming to my town! WOHO!!
I am very happy since 90ies US rap artists are kind of a rarity here.
but recently Jedi mind Tricks, Mobb deep, Methodman and Redman were giving concerts here in Switzerland. Also in my town :D
We have a cable station here in the States that plays old school rap. One of the staples is C.R.E.A.M. from WuTang. You can't listen to the station for more than 4 hours and not hear it at least once.

one of the best shows i have seen (and I have seen Bela Fleck, lol):

and mr ridiculous here on the uke:

damn, can't stop

Last edited:

Sia... Best of led me on to Destiny and memories of seeing Zero 7 play at the Shepherd's Bush Empire back in 2001.

With my part-time, superficial interest in music (and not reading about bands, just listening to their music), I remember being surprised that - based on the timbre of her voice - that Sia wasn't black. :oops:

Some good stuff on Simple Things, including this Air-alike:

Some of Sia's solo stuff is good but she be damaged with a capital "D"!

Went and saw these guys at The Double Door in Chicago a couple weeks ago. Did all of Losing Streak on the night I saw them and they did all of Hello Rockview the next night.

Wonder how much this tone influenced Pat Metheny.

Really serendipitous. I was talking about this exact thing to a former professional jazz guitarist a couple weeks ago and his answer would be "lots".

My listening has been mostly guitar-focused lately as well. Primarily Zappa. One of my favorite commercially released live Zappa tracks:

For any other big Zappa fans, Dweezil was on WTF with Marc Maron recently and they talked mostly about Frank. Really worth listening.

I'm at work so cannot link to YouTube at the moment, but really enjoying Nothing But Thieves at the moment. The album name being the same as the band.

I'm at work so cannot link to YouTube at the moment, but really enjoying Nothing But Thieves at the moment. The album name being the same as the band.

I've been meaning to check that album out - thanks for the prompt!

I'm in the market for some instrumental beats, maybe with a Middle Eastern slant.

Something along the lines of these Imhotep tracks, if anyone has any recommends?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom