What are you listening to? (5 Viewers)

Yeah, there are 2 things that rub me wrong in the genre conventions in country:

the intervals used in the vocal harmonies
the way pedal steel guitar is used

And I agree that the pop/country era is worse. All the pedal steel and perfect 5th harmony vocals, plus pop!

It's weird, I like pedal and lap steel guitar in other genres. Especially hawaiian music, but in country I just cant take it. I do like a lot of country electric guitar though. Especially a nice classic Telecaster with a really sharp clean tone and a guitarist who is finger picking.

Are you a big My Bloody Valentine fan? I can't remember if we've had this conversation. I am and am also a fan of John Neff, the pedal steel player, so I was a huge fan of the full album cover his band Japancakes did of Loveless. I guess even if you're not a huge MBV fan it's still awesome, but even more so if you dig that album.

Are you a big My Bloody Valentine fan? I can't remember if we've had this conversation. I am and am also a fan of John Neff, the pedal steel player, so I was a huge fan of the full album cover his band Japancakes did of Loveless. I guess even if you're not a huge MBV fan it's still awesome, but even more so if you dig that album.

I somehow missed my bloody valentine in their prime. Not sure how, but I think I have literally never heard them. That track is pretty nice though. My mom came by as it was playing and remarked that she liked it too.

I somehow missed my bloody valentine in their prime. Not sure how, but I think I have literally never heard them. That track is pretty nice though. My mom came by as it was playing and remarked that she liked it too.

I would suggest listening to Loveless start to finish at least once and then moving onto their previous material (once previous LP and lots of singles and EPs) before finishing with their most recent album. Loveless is almost always in my top 25 of all time when I try to do a list.

Loveless is phenomenal. Not everyone gets it but if you do, you do.

I saw MBV at the Town & Country Club in London's Kentish Town back in the day. Fantastic gig. One of my top 5 live events. We were lucky enough to see the reunion tour at Camden's Roundhouse - they were violating all the H&S laws around noise levels that night. Crazy good.

Jack - you owe us an MBV story. Can't remember if that was this thread or the one on Ol' Bloo. But you mentioned you had one...

Loveless is phenomenal. Not everyone gets it but if you do, you do.

I saw MBV at the Town & Country Club in London's Kentish Town back in the day. Fantastic gig. One of my top 5 live events. We were lucky enough to see the reunion tour at Camden's Roundhouse - they were violating all the H&S laws around noise levels that night. Crazy good.

Jack - you owe us an MBV story. Can't remember if that was this thread or the one on Ol' Bloo. But you mentioned you had one...

Trying to remember what I might have been talking about. Have a bunch that mostly just involve seeing which drugs are most MBV appropriate.

I did see J Mascis in Athens GA when Mike Watt was in his touring band and ended up meeting Watt at this shithole bar late as hell after the show. Somehow MBV came up and he was telling us J has amazing stories about hanging out with Kevin Shields. Watt tried to drag J out of the corner to tell some story. I didn't hear what Watt said, but J just said, "It wasn't that loud" and Watt stopped trying. I didn't know at that time they had a relationship but later read about how J and Kevin are evidently close. I was a much bigger Watt fan than J or Dino Jr so I didn't think much of it at the time.

Trying to remember what I might have been talking about. Have a bunch that mostly just involve seeing which drugs are most MBV appropriate.

I did see J Mascis in Athens GA when Mike Watt was in his touring band and ended up meeting Watt at this shithole bar late as hell after the show. Somehow MBV came up and he was telling us J has amazing stories about hanging out with Kevin Shields. Watt tried to drag J out of the corner to tell some story. I didn't hear what Watt said, but J just said, "It wasn't that loud" and Watt stopped trying. I didn't know at that time they had a relationship but later read about how J and Kevin are evidently close. I was a much bigger Watt fan than J or Dino Jr so I didn't think much of it at the time.

I'm sitting 15 miles from J's house as I type this. He and I have many mutual friends, and we've seen each other's bands. I bet he has no idea who I am, but Green Mind, Bug, and Whatever's Cool with Me are part of the soundtrack of my life.

Watt is such a hero, I'm actually a charter member of the all bass band, The Disciples of Watt. Met him a couple times. His stories are the best.

From the distance I've been able to observe both those guys, which is not all that close, they both seem a little off as people. Worth the trade off from my vantage point though, as fIREHOSE and Dinosaur, Jr. are some of the greatest music ever.

Just caught the Mavis Staples documentary so I have been rocking this old favorite lately.

greatdayalbumcoverfromallmusic_zpsbj21v6ni.jpg

And for all of you....well, yeah, this one too on a Friday night.

outofrangefromrbrsite_zpsqijryqe0.jpg

I just came back from seeing some live music. Small band in a little hill town. 15 people in the audience in a small venue that felt full. My brother-in-law sat in on drums.

The lead player is one of those local legends. Amazing world class guitarist who happens to just be an amazing small time guy. Watching that level of play in such an intimate setting is truly awe inspiring.

Straight ahead rock, and the lead player was a real fitness player. Filling in with the tastiest little bits during the vocals, and really shining in his solos. Played a beat up old telecaster deluxe. The one with the humbuckers. I prefer a classic single coil tele, but it was hard to argue any sound coming from this guy tonight.

Carey Lander from Camera Obscura is getting a memorial bench in Kelvingrove Park.

Can't believe she was only 33 when she died (from a rare bone cancer) back in October. :(

My grandparents live on East Avalon, thirty seconds from the Long Wongs on Thomas. :D

Thanks for the memories bud, your posts about Scottsdale have made me smile more than a few times now.

Glad to bring the nostalgia. useless trivia...Roger Clyne played my ASU graduation party when he was in his second band, The Mortals. I used to hang with him and the Dead Hot/Gin Blossoms party crowd back then.

Every time I think I have a handle on which is my favorite Outkast album, I listen to the others and I change my mind. Southernplayalistic was my first exposure (Player's Ball was truly unavoidable my freshman year in high school), but ATLiens is when I really went crazy for them. Aquemini might be even more listenable as a full album and Stankonia has such weird little gems. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is good, but not quite on the same level as their previous stuff and Idlewild was listenable but clearly a step down.

Andre's first verse from Return of the G might be the best verse in the entire Outkast catalog. Kills every time.

Last edited:

I usually despise "ironic" (they are not ironic) acoustic parodies of "bad" pop songs. But this is merely exhibit number 16,294 in support of the argument that Richard Thompson can overcome any pet peeve as a performer.

I usually despise "ironic" (they are not ironic) acoustic parodies of "bad" pop songs. But this is merely exhibit number 16,294 in support of the argument that Richard Thompson can overcome any pet peeve as a performer.
I had to google it to learn who did the original.

I remember the first time I heard Phish's version of Gin and Juice, I was in love and played it for everybody I could find. Even though I'm a person that doesn't hate covers, ever since that song I've been chasing the dragon 99.9% of the time when it comes to "Ironic" covers that hit me like that first one.

I remember the first time I heard Phish's version of Gin and Juice, I was in love and played it for everybody I could find. Even though I'm a person that doesn't hate covers, ever since that song I've been chasing the dragon 99.9% of the time when it comes to "Ironic" covers that hit me like that first one.

That's The Gourds not Phish. I think it became misidentified during the Napster era, but it stuck in people's minds that it's Phish for some reason.

I never thought of a band doing a cover from a different genre as necessarily being ironic.

My punk band from the early 90s did great covers of Rio by Duran Duran and Turning Japanese by The Vapors. No irony. We loved those songs and thought they transcended their original genres.

Learning turning Japanese was part of the plan of doing an entire set of covers about masturbation.

That's The Gourds not Phish. I think it became misidentified during the Napster era, but it stuck in people's minds that it's Phish for some reason.

That's so damn funny because that's exactly where I downloaded the song from after I heard it. It was identified as Leftover Salmon and I had no reason to doubt it until I actually heard Leftover Salmon and realized it wasn't them. I never went any further trying to figure out who it really was and whenever I would see it I would just think to myself "Not Leftover Salmon.". Sometime after Google began to rule the world I thought to myself "I'm going to figure out who did that cover." and Phish was all the first results. Again, no reason or knowledge to doubt it.

Now, years later still, to celebrate sinko the mayo, I have actually learned who did the song!!!! Thanks @jbutler !! lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom