What are you listening to? (5 Viewers)

That's so damn funny because that's exactly where I downloaded the song from after I heard it. It was identified as Leftover Salmon and I had no reason to doubt it until I actually heard Leftover Salmon and realized it wasn't them. I never went any further trying to figure out who it really was and whenever I would see it I would just think to myself "Not Leftover Salmon.". Sometime after Google began to rule the world I thought to myself "I'm going to figure out who did that cover." and Phish was all the first results. Again, no reason or knowledge to doubt it.

Now, years later still, to celebrate sinko the mayo, I have actually learned who did the song!!!! Thanks @jbutler !! lol

De nada. Leftover Salmon is a name I haven't thought of in a long while. Saw them a bunch of times in the southeast in the late 90s. Definitely one of the better of the second tier jambands of that era.

De nada. Leftover Salmon is a name I haven't thought of in a long while. Saw them a bunch of times in the southeast in the late 90s. Definitely one of the better of the second tier jambands of that era.
There's an interesting set of qualifiers, one of the better second tier jambands of that era.

I'll admit, I'm not a jam band guy, but I can't even imagine what the second tier must be like.

There's an interesting set of qualifiers, one of the better second tier jambands of that era.

I'll admit, I'm not a jam band guy, but I can't even imagine what the second tier must be like.

I should have added even an additional qualifier: that I knew of. And they might have even been third tier.

Around 1997ish I would say the top tier jambands were Phish and Widespread Panic. Maybe some bullshit like Ratdog, but just stop with that garbage.

Then you could put in some that became popular but not for their jamband tendencies, but were nonetheless categorized as jambands by some (Blues Traveler, 311, Spin Doctors, etc.). I would say the actual second tier was made up of Bela Fleck, String Cheese Incident, Disco Biscuits, Gov't Mule, and moe.

I guess Leftover would fall in the third tier of bands that had much stronger regional than national followings like Keller Williams (he got much more popular later), Jupiter Coyote, Rollin' in the Hay and a ton more that have long passed from my memory.

To my mind there was very little interesting coming from the whole scene, but there were a few bands that were - for a time at least - doing interesting things like Phish and Bela Fleck and then a few bands that had interesting if not totally original things like moe. and Disco Biscuits. I would put Leftover into the latter category.

Jambands are besmirched and sometimes rightfully so, but there was some good stuff. I know without a doubt that I could play you some Phish or Bela Fleck stuff that you would love. Their repertoires were much broader than most people realize.

I should have added even an additional qualifier: that I knew of. And they might have even been third tier.

Around 1997ish I would say the top tier jambands were Phish and Widespread Panic. Maybe some bullshit like Ratdog, but just stop with that garbage.

Then you could put in some that became popular but not for their jamband tendencies, but were nonetheless categorized as jambands by some (Blues Traveler, 311, Spin Doctors, etc.). I would say the actual second tier was made up of Bela Fleck, String Cheese Incident, Disco Biscuits, Gov't Mule, and moe.

I guess Leftover would fall in the third tier of bands that had much stronger regional than national followings like Keller Williams (he got much more popular later), Jupiter Coyote, Rollin' in the Hay and a ton more that have long passed from my memory.

To my mind there was very little interesting coming from the whole scene, but there were a few bands that were - for a time at least - doing interesting things like Phish and Bela Fleck and then a few bands that had interesting if not totally original things like moe. and Disco Biscuits. I would put Leftover into the latter category.

Jambands are besmirched and sometimes rightfully so, but there was some good stuff. I know without a doubt that I could play you some Phish or Bela Fleck stuff that you would love. Their repertoires were much broader than most people realize.
Well, of course there is some Bela Fleck I like: Victor Wooten. I always thought of them coming more from a jazz tradition than a jam band tradition. Either way, I like my jazz tight and well composed, less noodley and self indulgent. I don't want to hear the process of exploration, I want to hear the result. Figure that shit out at home, let me in on the good bits.

Well, of course there is some Bela Fleck I like: Victor Wooten. I always thought of them coming more from a jazz tradition than a jam band tradition. Either way, I like my jazz tight and well composed, less noodley and self indulgent. I don't want to hear the process of exploration, I want to hear the result. Figure that shit out at home, let me in on the good bits.

Well two things. First there really is no jam band tradition. Jam band is just a bullshit media term used for the sake of convenience (of course Miles Davis said the same of jazz). Secondly and waaaaay more importantly much of the most amazing and most influential jazz is improvisational. Most of the classic post-bop Coltrane and middle period Ornette Coleman was structured only in the loosest sense. I can't believe you would say you don't like something like Coltrane's A Love Supreme or Coleman's Free Jazz.

I can't mount a defense of the truly self-indulgent jam stuff but throwing out music because it stretches in improvisation would leave us without insane folks like CAN and Zappa and Amon Duul and I wouldn't want to live without those guys. And don't forget that noise bands are really just a particularly dissonant version of improvisational music. Jam bands exist along a continuum that includes the Dead at one end and the Boredoms and US Maple at the other.

Well two things. First there really is no jam band tradition. Jam band is just a bullshit media term used for the sake of convenience (of course Miles Davis said the same of jazz). Secondly and waaaaay more importantly much of the most amazing and most influential jazz is improvisational. Most of the classic post-bop Coltrane and middle period Ornette Coleman was structured only in the loosest sense. I can't believe you would say you don't like something like Coltrane's A Love Supreme or Coleman's Free Jazz.

I can't mount a defense of the truly self-indulgent jam stuff but throwing out music because it stretches in improvisation would leave us without insane folks like CAN and Zappa and Amon Duul and I wouldn't want to live without those guys. And don't forget that noise bands are really just a particularly dissonant version of improvisational music. Jam bands exist along a continuum that includes the Dead at one end and the Boredoms and US Maple at the other.

I loved improvisational music when I was in my teens and twenties. At some point, I grew tired of it, preferring more structure. In fact, I prefer music to have no instrumental soloing at all for the most point. Not to say I don't still like some of that kind of stuff, I just don't prefer it over tighter arrangements.

Time Out is probably my favorite Jazz album ever. It is probably the Jazz record that feels most composed and least improvised. There are some Charlie Parker recordings that sound like pop songs with very short solos in them. I think my favorite jazz eras are from ragtime through bebop at this point. So though I still like some of the improvisation, it's not the part I most like about it.

Here's a long time favorite track, with some very tasteful soloing:

The funny thing about noise bands for me, is that I prefer it when the noise bands also have strong pop sensibilities.

The funny thing about noise bands for me, is that I prefer it when the noise bands also have strong pop sensibilities.

Yeah I hear that. Like early Sonic Youth. Their SYR series is amazing for that kind of noise rock. Insane noise but with subtle undercurrents of melody every now and again.

One of the best crossover jazz/noise/improv artists is John Zorn. I'm sure you've heard of him but if you haven't investigated his massive catalog it's very rewarding.

Yeah I hear that. Like early Sonic Youth. Their SYR series is amazing for that kind of noise rock. Insane noise but with subtle undercurrents of melody every now and again.

One of the best crossover jazz/noise/improv artists is John Zorn. I'm sure you've heard of him but if you haven't investigated his massive catalog it's very rewarding.

Early sonic youth is exactly what I was thinking.

My favorite Zorn thing is the Mr. Bungle album he produced, I never got into Zorn directly, I should give him a listen. When Zorn was rising in the public's awareness in the late '80s-early '90s, I was not listening to a ton of new music, these were my most productive years playing music, and I was taking in less new music than I was in the early to mid '80s. I was vaguely aware of Zorn at the time, but just never got there.

Flashback 1993. I remember I had like 4 of those big case logic tape cases. Hilarious how much space that shit took up.

vS2j7LX.jpg

I9hv2px.png

One of the few covers better than the original, which in this case is saying something since the original was by Randy fucking Newman.

Dunno if they made it to the US but this track has been re-doing the radio circuit in the UK. Prolly cos Guy Garvey has a solo album out.

Anyhoo, this track helped Elbow gain mainstream popularity over here.

And because it feels like Scotland will actually get a summer this year (and because Lauren Laverne)

And a remix

I'm about a month and a half late on this because I'm not nearly cool enough to keep up with what hip anymore, but damn this track is amazing. I've had it on a loop for the past week or so.

DJ Shadow featuring Run the Jewels:

Something new from Finland. Published two-three days ago. Been listening continuosly since...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom