What are you listening to? (4 Viewers)

Early years of Scrubs turned me onto Colin's solo stuff. It's fantastic.

Another favorite from him:

And as I'm sure a few of us will remember the Scrubs version of another of his songs which might seem cheesy in this clip, but was extremely touching in the context of the original episode which is still one of the single best episodes of a single camera television comedy I've ever seen:

RIP Ralph Stanley

In old age...

In middle age...

As a young man...

I should have added even an additional qualifier: that I knew of. And they might have even been third tier.

Around 1997ish I would say the top tier jambands were Phish and Widespread Panic. Maybe some bullshit like Ratdog, but just stop with that garbage.

Then you could put in some that became popular but not for their jamband tendencies, but were nonetheless categorized as jambands by some (Blues Traveler, 311, Spin Doctors, etc.). I would say the actual second tier was made up of Bela Fleck, String Cheese Incident, Disco Biscuits, Gov't Mule, and moe.

I guess Leftover would fall in the third tier of bands that had much stronger regional than national followings like Keller Williams (he got much more popular later), Jupiter Coyote, Rollin' in the Hay and a ton more that have long passed from my memory.

To my mind there was very little interesting coming from the whole scene, but there were a few bands that were - for a time at least - doing interesting things like Phish and Bela Fleck and then a few bands that had interesting if not totally original things like moe. and Disco Biscuits. I would put Leftover into the latter category.

Jambands are besmirched and sometimes rightfully so, but there was some good stuff. I know without a doubt that I could play you some Phish or Bela Fleck stuff that you would love. Their repertoires were much broader than most people realize.

I don't know Widespread Panic, will have to check them out. I've listened to a few Phish albums. I think my favorite track (heard thus far) is

...although always open to recommendations.

Keller Wiĺliams-wise, again I've checked out a few albums but this is my standout track:

Crazy good tune, such fun. The majority of his other stuff has left me luke warm/cold. Again, please post great tracks and open my eyes! :)

I don't know Widespread Panic, will have to check them out. I've listened to a few Phish albums. I think my favorite track (heard thus far) is

...although always open to recommendations.

Very interesting you were drawn to that Phish track, Toby. It has sort of a dual reputation of being a favorite of new fans (or did when I was more into the Phish scene years ago) and also being a good launching pad for extended jams during a certain era of the band. The song itself has never been one of my favorites, but some of the best bits of improv have come from it, so I'm appreciative.

If I were making recommendations I could go on for a long time, but for a few very different, but very good intros, check out:

Tweezer. Because this version was on an officially released live album, A Live One, it was a lot of people's first introduction to Phish's "type II" jams (i.e., improvisation that breaks entirely from the underlying track instead of vamping on the basic melody of the song). Some might want to look for something a bit more obscure (and there are plenty of other great versions of Tweezer out there), but there's a reason it was chosen for A Live One imo.

What's the Use, an extended instrumental track with a little more darkness and grit. This version is a soundcheck from the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan in 1999.

Simple. A much spacier vibe and another officially released track, but I was at this show when it was recorded and remember thinking that this was probably the best version of Simple of all time. And it is.

You Enjoy Myself. The absolute classic Phish song. I love love love the early, tight, composed tracks, which they pretty much stopped writing in the mid 90s (or at least stopped writing those that demanded as much proficiency to play as the early ones). But this is one of the better versions of a song they've played hundred and hundreds of times.

Finally, just put on this full live album, Slip, Stitch and Pass. You'll love that it starts with a cover of Talking Heads' Cities and it gets better and better from there, particularly the second track, Wolfman's Brother.

Maze, Run Like an Antelope, Divided Sky, Down with Disease, Harry Hood, Chalkdust Torture, Lizards, Punch You in the Eye, AC-DC Bag, Halley's Comet, You Enjoy Myself, Mike's Song>Weekapaug, Reba, Runaway Jim, Split Open and Melt, Rift, and Wilson are most of my Phish favs. I hope they come back to my town soon!!

I think '09 was the last time I made it out to the Gorge. You going next weekend?

No. I should have made plans for that. I am on vacation and everything, damn!

Well, enjoy! I won't be there either.

And back on topic:

Oh, Ophelia, you've been on my mind, girl, like a drug....

However, I am seeing the following shows soon:

Larry and his Flask this week

Rodrigo y Gabriela in early August

Band of Horses late August

Vinyl:

• Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced?
  • Beatles
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • Hey Jude
  • America
  • Fleetwood Mac
    • Fleetwood Mac
    • Rumors
  • Pink Floyd
    • Dark Side
    • Wish
    • Animals
So many more to explore, just inherited about 60 or 70 albums....haven't counted yet

I've been on a David Dondero kick:

Such an amazing performer with such weird, caged energy. Absolutely must see if he's near.

Also been on a Dylan covers kick and this one is definitely in my top five of all time:

I've posted plenty of Blake Mills in this thread and its CT counterpart, but he can't get enough attention. Amazing musician, amazing ear. He's one of the best living examples of John Lennon's great quote: "I'm an artist and if you give me a tuba, I'll bring something out of it." He twists and yanks a guitar into noises and curves like a roots music version of Bill Frisell. Another live must see, maybe even more so when he's just in the backing band and shines blazing lights through the established songs more than anyone else on stage.

Another great Blake performance (Fender sponsored, sure, but sick solo electric playing):

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom