What are you listening to? (4 Viewers)

I'm now on a few Bill Callahan albums. Not very Christmassy but I like his stuff

I'm now on a few Bill Callahan albums. Not very Christmassy but I like his stuff

sadly i've not kept up beyond the first or second album he did as bill callahan, but i was a giant fan when he recorded under the name smog. this is one of my favorite and definitely one of the funniest smog tracks (also shout out to the hilarious album title - dongs of sevotion - which is complemented by the album cover shown in the video below):

We're listening to an FM station at 95.1 MHz down here in St. Martin for the holidays. They play an unusual mix of reggae and techno, including techno versions of Aztec Two-Step's "Ballad of Cinderella and Humpty Dumpty" and techno versions of several tracks by Steely Dan.

I have no idea where they got or produced these -- they're definitely the original vocals, but I have no idea who over-dubbed the instruments.

Has anyone ever heard anything like this?

We're listening to an FM station at 95.1 MHz down here in St. Martin for the holidays. They play an unusual mix of reggae and techno, including techno versions of Aztec Two-Step's "Ballad of Cinderella and Humpty Dumpty" and techno versions of several tracks by Steely Dan.

I have no idea where they got or produced these -- they're definitely the original vocals, but I have no idea who over-dubbed the instruments.

Has anyone ever heard anything like this?

no idea about the rest, but is this the steely dan remix?

I never really took to Smog but is prob a good time for a revisit...

Currently on Notwist's 'Close to the Glass'

Couldn't profess to being a fan but like most bands dig songs here and there.

Off a previous album:

Im currently watching the DVD of Dream theater live at Budokan. Unbelievable stuff!! These are more than likely the greatest group of musicians of rock to ever step on stage IMO.
Its a 2.5 hour spectacle... a pure feast for the eyes and ears.

I highly recommend finding it if you love rock... ;)

the 4 min mark will put you in a trance

Dream Theater is awesome live. I saw them at the Rosemont Theater with Joe Satriani opening for them. They did the entire Metropolis II album. Hell of a show. If you haven't heard them check out their "bootleg" releases of shows. They have one where they do the entire Master of Puppets album and it is awesome.

Edit:

I was supposed to go to this show but ended up not being able to...

can't help but sometimes jam the modern classic country. i spent my teenage years and some of my 20s thinking this was garbage music, but i was so wrong. they used to blare local country radio at the fields where i practiced baseball from about 1986 through 1992, so i'm pretty damn familiar with all that stuff.

EDIT: garth won't let his stuff on youtube and this site won't embed, so you gotta click through, but it's worth it.
[video]http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=359715[/video]

this verse from song of the south

"somebody told us wall street fell,
but we were supported; we couldn't tell,
cotton was short and the weeds were tall,
but mr. roosevelt a-gonna save us all."

reminds me of two songs by the drive-by truckers. patterson hood said the idea was to release them as a double-a-side single with each attempting to tell a different side of the story of the TVA's legacy in north alabama. both amazing songs and with completely different takes, but both honest.

Country is one genre I don't do. I would rather listen to polka. I do have to admit that there are a few songs here and there that I enjoy, but they are mostly classics with one or two modern classics in the mix. New (Nu?) country should wiped from the face of the earth IMO. This is not to say that there isn't good country music, just not a fan. Southern rock is A-OK in my book though.

Country is one genre I don't do. I would rather listen to polka. I do have to admit that there are a few songs here and there that I enjoy, but they are mostly classics with one or two modern classics in the mix. New (Nu?) country should wiped from the face of the earth IMO. This is not to say that there isn't good country music, just not a fan. Southern rock is A-OK in my book though.

if you do the classics and you do southern rock, then you do country ;) it's a much broader spectrum than most realize. sure, 99% of modern country is garbage...but so is 99% of all genres, so it's not unique in that regard.

of course, i could also recommend some good polka. :cool:

if you do the classics and you do southern rock, then you do country ;) it's a much broader spectrum than most realize. sure, 99% of modern country is garbage...but so is 99% of all genres, so it's not unique in that regard.

of course, i could also recommend some good polka. :cool:

I don't do country. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Not once in this entire thread did I say that I like country. Saying that I like a couple songs here and there does not equate to me liking country. Really, I don't understand why you keep insisting that I like country. ;)

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Also, thought this was pretty funny...

That Jimmy the Cheese clip was funny, not that Simon Cowell would know talent if it kicked him in the balls! He's just out to find naïve performers that he can milk for a quick buck as fast as possible (cough Wand Erection cough).

I much prefer DT's proggier side than the metal version they morphed into with Systematic Chaos. I saw them about 5 years ago at a warm-up gig for their Download appearance - they played the whole of the Images and Words album. It used to be that if they played 2 nights at a venue, then the second night was something different (ie played Master of Puppets / Dark Side of the Moon / Hemispheres), not sure if that is still the case. They also used to do something different at the warm-up gigs for festival appearances as these shows don't have the full stage show/lighting etc and ticket prices used to be lowered.

I don't do country. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Not once in this entire thread did I say that I like country. Saying that I like a couple songs here and there does not equate to me liking country. Really, I don't understand why you keep insisting that I like country.

frabz-What-you-did-there-I-see-it-32d1f4.jpg

you say you have listened to country music, but aren't a country music listener. now that's a distinction i can understand. and back on topic, some destroyer jamz:

love it, tommy. though my favorite entwhistle-penned who song was also the lead track off the best live album of all time:

My dad still has the vinyl album of Live at Leeds. I used to listen to it and Paranoid constantly on the ole record player when I was 5-6 years old.

I don't know what I would say is the best live album...will have to think about that one.

My dad still has the vinyl album of Live at Leeds. I used to listen to it and Paranoid constantly on the ole record player when I was 5-6 years old.

I don't know what I would say is the best live album...will have to think about that one.

i think we did a brief "best live albums ever" thing in the old thread. my top live albums off the top of my head (excluding jazz albums which deserve their own list imo):

who - live at leeds
zappa - roxy and elsewhere
zappa - fillmore east june 1971
dylan - live 1975 rolling thunder revue
dylan - live 1966 "royal albert hall" concert
james brown - love power peace
jimi - band of gypsys
talking heads - the name of this band is
allman bros - at fillmore east
cash - at folsom prison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpyhl85MYmU&sns=em

R.I.P.

One more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POaaw_x7gvQ&sns=em

Holy Shit!! I had not heard that he died. :(

One of my favorite Joe Cocker songs...

And I love his version of The Letter...

And this is just awesome...

i think we did a brief "best live albums ever" thing in the old thread. my top live albums off the top of my head (excluding jazz albums which deserve their own list imo):

who - live at leeds
zappa - roxy and elsewhere
zappa - fillmore east june 1971
dylan - live 1975 rolling thunder revue
dylan - live 1966 "royal albert hall" concert
james brown - love power peace
jimi - band of gypsys
talking heads - the name of this band is
allman bros - at fillmore east
cash - at folsom prison

Have been rebuilding my music collection over the past couple years. I had completely forgotten about Love Power Peace.

Thank you for the reminder, sir. Hard copy ordered (for $4.99!) on Amazon.

Off to the in-laws, might as well listen to some upbeat music!

[video=youtube_share;OPf0YbXqDm0]http://youtu.be/OPf0YbXqDm0[/video]

I usually take a trip down Memory Lane on this day each year.

These guys played the first show that I bought my own ticket to attend.

It was at the SDSU Open Air Theater on June 11, 1991. Still love the album.

[video=youtube_share;ozCRFH2DlWc]http://youtu.be/ozCRFH2DlWc[/video]

I usually take a trip down Memory Lane on this day each year.

These guys played the first show that I bought my own ticket to attend.

My first was a quadruple billing with open-floor seating at the Indianapolis Convention Center:

The Guess Who
REO Speedwagon
Aerosmith
Locomotiv GT

All four bands were outstanding, but a relatively unknown newcomer at the time (Aerosmith) totally stole the show.

I remember the adult who took me to said show recommended Toys In The Attic as one of his favorite rock albums of all time.

It sounds like you saw them even before that one. Color me jealous. They had such amazing energy in the beginning.

I think my greatest "saw them as openers" claim-to-fame may be the tour that Pearl Jam and Nirvana opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I remember the adult who took me to said show recommended Toys In The Attic as one of his favorite rock albums of all time.

It sounds like you saw them even before that one. Color me jealous. They had such amazing energy in the beginning.

I think my greatest "saw them as openers" claim-to-fame may be the tour that Pearl Jam and Nirvana opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Never saw Nirvana. Saw pearl jam and smashing pumpkins open for chili peppers. Wish I saw nirvana. Never was a Pearl Jam fan. Still not. Saw sound garden and jane's addiction in a night club right before they both broke huge. A friend of mine jammed with REM on stage at a nightclub show. I think I need to post what I'm listening to today...

I love this album. I LOVE Graham Maby.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom