What are you listening to? (8 Viewers)

fuck this should have been in my post above. same girl doing cannonball by the breeders and killing it.

diggin it. can't leave out this one, it and David added to degenalist.

[video=youtube_share;bcnIhzaDTd0]http://youtu.be/bcnIhzaDTd0[/video]

That A.V. Undercover series is pretty awesome. GWAR covers Pet Shop Boys, Kansas, and Billy Ocean lol

i think i've watched all or nearly all of them and i dig the series a lot, but it gets pretty spotty. just by virtue of the structure (first come, first serve in choice of songs to cover from the menu established by the AV club at the beginning of the season), you end up with a lot of bands choosing the best of what's left rather than what they might otherwise be able to do well. some great gems in there, though.

fuck this should have been in my post above. same girl doing cannonball by the breeders and killing it.

I remember this as one of the better AV Club covers when I binge watched them one afternoon. I had not put it together that this was her.

I just binge listened to a bunch the other day. Other than GWAR, the ones that stuck in my head in a good way were Andrew Jackson Jihad doing STP's Plush, Promise Ring doing Adele's Rumour Has It, and Mac DeMarco doing Weezer's Sweater Song. I'm sure there were others I can't think of.

maybe one of the top five or ten songs ever written imo. and john hartford's original version destroys glen campbell's for my money.

Following Jack's Lambchop/Chesnutt collaboration recommend, I'm listening to Is The Actor Happy?

really glad you're digging Vic, Toby. also very thankful i got to see him a few times (including a truly amazing guest appearance with bill frisell in athens singing "tears of a clown") before we lost him. one of the greats imo.

as hard as it will be for some to believe, one of the better covers of vic i've heard was done by hootie and the blowfish with nanci griffith on guest vocals:

incidentally, hootie isn't even a guilty pleasure for me - i think they are a legitimately good band. darius rucker has written some very, very good songs and i've always thought it was kind of a shame that their one-hit-wonderness and other cultural factors kept them from being recognized by people who might otherwise have dug their music.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

for me lately i've been listening to a lot of christian-era dylan (slow train coming, saved, shot of love). slow train coming gets a little credit, but saved is so, so underrated. regardless of whether you identify with the spiritual aspect of the music, it's extremely powerful imo. one saved track that has fortunately found an audience decades later is "pressing on".

a live version by dylan recorded soon after the album's release:

a cover by john doe (previously of X) from the i'm not there soundtrack which might be among the top 10 dylan covers ever:

a moving contemporary gospel take by chicago mass choir:

It'a Valentines Day, so while I clean up my eldest daughter's sick, why not some love songs, why not, why not?

for me lately i've been listening to a lot of christian-era dylan (slow train coming, saved, shot of love). slow train coming gets a little credit, but saved is so, so underrated. regardless of whether you identify with the spiritual aspect of the music, it's extremely powerful imo. one saved track that has fortunately found an audience decades later is "pressing on".

Dylan on the cover of AARP magazine this month..... his interview talks about the death of rock and roll. Expecting to see Ringo selling Colonial Life insurance soon.

the-cure-standing-on-a-beach-the-singles-front.jpg

I'be been revisiting The Cure, specifically the band's first singles comp Standing On A Beach/Staring At The Sea (title depends on your region but both are lyrics from the track Killing An Arab [a reference to Albert Camus' L'Etranger]), a track banned from radio play during the Gulf War [at least in the UK]).

Any hoo, it covers the band's singles from 1978-1985ish. Lotsa good stuff on the comp. Here'a a couple of tracks...

(Incidentally my profile pic at le grand bleu was me dressed as UV-Robert Smith from the tail end of ^ this video and is the reason I got black lights for a fancy dress party, which in turn led to the UV security on my ASM cat chips)

The comp also has some of their more maudlin songs on it. :D

I played that CD to death back in '85-'86.

As I post this, I am listening to this track:

Saw them a few times back in the day including a show from the 1st row center at a nice mid-sized outdoor venue.

I played that CD to death back in '85-'86.

As I post this, I am listening to this track:

Saw them a few times back in the day including a show from the 1st row center at a nice mid-sized outdoor venue.

My daughter loves that track - it features on the soundtrack of animated movie The House of Magic, so I'be been playing it in the car/we'be been singing along. Love that double bass!

I saw them on the last night of the Disintegration tour at Wembley. Amazing gig. They played for just shy of 4th and played all the classics.

It was the first of their 'last ever' gigs iirc. :)

Thinking back on Fire In Cairo segeuing straight into Boys Don't Cry - still gives me goosebumbs. :) And a very cool strobe effect throughout Just Like Heaven. Best gig I went to, hands down.

that's awesome. i never knew whether Leo was popular overseas, but hopefully he is.

i saw him play in 2002ish with Mike Gordon from Phish on bass (Leo was on his typical array of acoustics and Mike used a bizarre metal-bodied, slimline Fender acoustic/electric bass). the story of their collaboration was always interesting to me:

evidently Leo had been approached for decades by accompanists, but had turned them all down, but after a gig in vermont, Mike slipped him a tape of one of Leo's albums over which Mike had dubbed baselines. i would think this would be a risky proposition because a lot of musicians think of their output as sacred and don't want someone else coming along modifying it, but i suppose Leo dug it enough that he called Mike to see about recording something as a duo.

the first resulting record isn't classic Leo quality imo, but it is a ton of fun:

EDIT: looks like i had the story a bit wrong. Mike had seen Leo years prior and only later sent him a copy of him playing over Leo's music and it wasn't a whole album, but rather just a single song: driving of the year nail :)

courage's roadkill made me think of this one

[video=youtube_share;5Z7TSP4ppUk]http://youtu.be/5Z7TSP4ppUk[/video]

I've been meaning to check out more of Michael Gulezian's stuff but it's proving difficult to come by

Love that Peter Lang tune, Toby.

[video=youtube_share;wp7piqjzbvk]http://youtu.be/wp7piqjzbvk[/video]

Many types of roadkill.

[video=youtube_share;jq8sOs_Ispw]http://youtu.be/jq8sOs_Ispw[/video]

^there's a track about necrophilia on the same comp as this last one. Couldn't find it tho. Just as well :D

wavy+gravy+1+front+cover.jpg

i don't care if these are the most popular Rush songs, they're still my favorites and as amazing as the playing is, i love the lyrics just as much. perfect music:

I have been listening to this guy lately. Found him on youtube several years ago from this first video. I also like his rendition of Africa.

I also like this guy, from the same record label (Candyrat Records). I have his album Naissance, and Andy Mckee's Art of Motion. Both are really good.

That's a crazy guitar - looks like a shark!

Sweden!

^ the last of these is a live show I put on for my players during the break. Keeps them off their game.

^there's a track about necrophilia on the same comp as this last one. Couldn't find it tho. Just as well :D

Here's a classic necrophilia track for your enjoyment...

Hadn't listened to that in 20+ years, but your comment reminded me of this early '80s classic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom