What are you listening to? (5 Viewers)

Never saw Nirvana. Saw pearl jam and smashing pumpkins open for chili peppers. Wish I saw nirvana. Never was a Pearl Jam fan. Still not. Saw sound garden and jane's addiction in a night club right before they both broke huge. A friend of mine jammed with REM on stage at a nightclub show. I think I need to post what I'm listening to today...

(Joe Jackson's Fools in Love from Look Sharp)

I love this album. I LOVE Graham Maby.

i endorse this entire post. i did see nirvana and it was amazing, but i never saw pearl jam and, frankly, never got the fanatic appeal. some of their songs are pretty good, but eddie vedder is such a self-absorbed douche-bro that i can't really deal with his bullshit.

as for joe jackson, for some ungodly reason i never bothered with him until i met my wife who jammed this album constantly. i was a pretty quick convert.

my listening lately has been an outgrowth of listening so much to the new d'angelo. it took me back to listening to a lot of funkadelic, the most repeated album being maggot brain and the most repeated track being:

not necessarily my favorite funkadelic track, but the one i've been loving the most lately.

also a lot of later year nick lowe stuff (wow, didn't even know marc maron was in the video for this song until i looked it up to post in this thread:

I think that track is probably the reason I bought Maggot Brain.

I once had a life or, rather, life had me - I was one among many, or at least I seemed to be.
But I read an old quotation in a book just yesterday - said "gonna reap just what you sow, the debts you make you have to pay...."

I was in high school when grunge started massively growing. Could not stand it as I was into Death, Sepultura, Deicide, Slayer...etc. at the time. It wasn't until much later that I started to appreciate some of the Seattle bands that came out in the late 80's early 90's. Pearl Jam was one I never really got into. A few good songs here and there, but overall...meh. I really got into Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. Nirvana was more of an afterthought for me.

It's a shame that living so close to Chicago I missed out on a lot of opportunities to see some of those amazing bands when they were first getting started. I saw STP on the Core tour, but they were already doing stadiums by then. Saw them again years later when they opened for Red Hot Chili Peppers. STP put on such an amazing show that they overshadowed the Chili Peppers by a long shot.

Smashing Pumpkins was another band from that time period that I had many chances to see in tiny venues, but never did. Just wasn't into them at the time. Saw them years later at a big venue and really regretted not seeing them earlier on.

Not sure where the hell I was going with this post so I will just end with this...

Smashing Pumpkins was another band from that time period that I had many chances to see in tiny venues, but never did. Just wasn't into them at the time. Saw them years later at a big venue and really regretted not seeing them earlier on.

smashing pumpkins was the afterthought of that group of bands for me. however, i ended up seeing them live on basically every tour that made it to atlanta through the late 90s: the last gish tour, both legs of the siamese dream tours, twice on the mellon collie tour. honestly, the only show that really blew me away was the gish tour. i was beginning to move from metal into noise and psychedelic music and it was the perfect sonic merge for me. long guitar done solos, but followed with a burst of heavy, low, deep riffage. after that the band seemed pretty boring to me even if the songs themselves were well-written. i still kept seeing them, though, because so many people in my social circle loved them and we tended to travel in packs to shows back then.

being from chicago, i'd think your live regrets would consist more of big black/shellac, naked raygun, uncle tupelo, cap'n jazz, jesus lizard, etc. then in the late 90s (through now, i suppose, if less vibrantly) the thrill jockey post-rock groups and the always amazing noise scene. chicago has had truly hall-of-fame-worthy musicians working at basically every moment for the last 90 years.

I have seen Naked Raygun and Jesus Lizard, though on accident. I can't begin to even try to remember how many bands I have seen that were really good and I had no intention of seeing. Either at a place that I didn't know had live music that night, or opening bands for other acts. Local acts getting wedged into 20 minute sets before the touring bands. I saw a lot of pop punk bands that way.

Gish was an outstanding album, and it was all downhill from there. The guitar work on that album is stellar. They had a few songs on later albums that were really really good, but never again a whole album of really good songs.

Hard to beat the album cover for that one, too. :)

Great album. Descending is one of my all time favorites.

I've been listening to a few Krafty Kuts mixes.

We've been enjoying this one in the car. Especially our 3.5 yr old trying to keep up with the lyrics. The head nodding's nearly caused a couple of collisions, mind.

Hmmmmmmm...Gordon Lightfoot = Heisenberg???

Gordon_lightfoot.jpg

Had Sundown pop up on my Zune...

I have seen Naked Raygun and Jesus Lizard, though on accident. I can't begin to even try to remember how many bands I have seen that were really good and I had no intention of seeing. Either at a place that I didn't know had live music that night, or opening bands for other acts. Local acts getting wedged into 20 minute sets before the touring bands. I saw a lot of pop punk bands that way.

Gish was an outstanding album, and it was all downhill from there. The guitar work on that album is stellar. They had a few songs on later albums that were really really good, but never again a whole album of really good songs.

First band I successfully played out with covered Libido by Naked Raygun. They never made it to a show I could attend. I really wish I saw big black. I was a huge big black fan back in the day. Never really got into Jesus Lizard at the time. Listening to them now...

I'll admit they are doing little more for me now than they did back then. I'm sure there's something in there, but it's lost on me...

You may have one of two Zunes still in existence. Maybe last one ever if this guy has had a heart attack by now...

I always get crap about it, but I love mine. I currently use a Zune HD 64gb. I still have a 30gb original as well. I had a 120gb 2nd gen, but the hard drive died in it.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

...just behind And Justice for All... ;)

Have you listened through their most recent album? It's one of the best in years.
Death Magnetic is far far better than St Anger, and definitely better than Load and Reload.

Justice is an album full of great songs. I just think it is a little disjointed and that Puppets is put together much better.

our first real snow of the season today and for some reason since it came out i've associated driving on the parkway in the snow with high violet by the national, so i jammed it this morning:

and this guy is going to be my and my wife's valentine's day show here at the stone pony in asbury park (the music is not her speed at all, but she indulges me). should be amazing. his latest album is one of my favorites from this past year:

been educating myself on the music i've missed over the past year, so i will prob post a list of all my favorites when i have time to put it together.

these guys got a lot of clicks for this clip because of the singer's sick dance moves, but the song and his voice are amazing.

[video]youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c[/video]

Lol I played it for my wife and she said it sounded like Spandau Ballet!

Love looking for sugar man. Reminds me we need to restart the documentary thread here, as I learned about that movie from the documentary thread at the blue place...

i'm watching the NHL all star game, so unfortunately i was attached by the horrible sounds of fall out boy and O.A.R. during the period breaks.

absolutely pathetic what is passed off as rock and roll these days. these bands couple put together a single testicle between the both of them.

Going in a bit of a different direction here. Had these guys pop up on my Zune on random today. I don't listen to very much electronic music these days, but love the old school sound of these guys.

I'd never seen the video till now, which was admittedly sucky. :p

I listened to some of their other material while I was out in Youtube land. I definitely see the appeal, but it seems a little late '80s hard rock influenced (not that there is anything wrong with it). The lyrical content is a deterrent for me these days. I'm not historically sensitive to such things, but there is a lot of premature death in my life, both historically and currently, and I am getting over sensitive to songs that are dark or overly existential in the way they are.

i've been jamming this chick like crazy: Courtney Barnett. great songs, fantastic sound. a couple rockers a slow one:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom