Windwalker’s Chipping Journey in Pr0n0grAph1C Detail (12 Viewers)

:( My chip assistant of the past two years is moving back to Chicago, so I’m stuck with the impossible task of finding / training someone new. She’s been building a comprehensive reference manual, much to my surprise / delight. An example of the contents below. Bless her heart.

View attachment 917387View attachment 917388
Do you provide benefits? Asking for a friend…

Snug-Fitting TRK Chips in Paulson or Unique Racks

If you collect TRK chips, one of the challenges you've probably faced is how loosely even minty chips fit in Paulson or Unique racks, even if they're chalky-minty. Which make deeper stacks of them wobbly and dangerous for the chips. For almost a year, I've been experimenting with a way to solve the issue, including trying to get a TRK-specific rack manufactured. I've tried everything from felt pieces, to cardboard to extra chips, to 3D-printed chip spacers from our very own @One Eyed Dollar .

The answer was staring me in the face every time I opened my utility drawer in the kitchen.

View attachment 908948

Because they're soft and have a lot of give, they work just as well for minty chips as they do for bike tires. It makes a clean, super snug fit, as you'll see below.

View attachment 908950

View attachment 908949View attachment 908951

Here they are with some dead mint TRK chips.

View attachment 908952View attachment 908953View attachment 908954

The racks stack beautifully because of the snug fit. Enjoy! :)
So, those bumpers are amazing for Milling. Great way to grip a chip without damage in all sorts of tasks. Just swap them out periodically as the plastic will soften. But in a rack, that's good forever. I buy them in bulk. Hahaha

:( My chip assistant of the past two years is moving back to Chicago, so I’m stuck with the impossible task of finding / training someone new. She’s been building a comprehensive reference manual, much to my surprise / delight. An example of the contents below. Bless her heart.

I’ll let my fiancé know we’re moving back (to her) home. Finally, a job I’m qualified for!

I been looking for a new job. Hahaha

I too am moving back to Illinois this summer (August), however I have a bunch of leave time that I have to use (or lose it)...I'm a fast learner and the possibility of getting a peek behind the curtain is intriguing.

Step 6 makes me sad. Tape around barrel #2 and #4 instead, so the notch/cut-out doesn't get so f#$&ed up by the tape.
Correction, use of any tape is saddening.

The best method is shrinkwrap.

Step 5. Shrinkwrap the entire rack so there's no movement of the barrels.
Step 6. Add box cover and shrinkwrap again.
Step 8. Shrinkwrap the bubble wrap.
Step 10. If you have multiple racks, shrinkwrap them into one solid unit (with an additional layer of bubble wrap covering the entire brick).

Step 10. If you have multiple racks, shrinkwrap them into one solid unit (with an additional layer of bubble wrap covering the entire brick).
This is what I do.
Screenshot_20220525-212944.png

IMG_20220113_155530.gif

awesome. would be a great resource for all chippers to have a step by step guide how to pack chips in boxes and or without boxes. the only caveat i would add is to use masking / painters tape as it easily comes off unlike packing tape.

I’ll be your assistant if you move to Florida! Can’t quite justify the move to LA, but if you feel inclined to enjoy that Florida sunshine and those juicy Florida private games you’ve got an assistant already trained who will ensure your chips are properly photographed and stored.

I’ve seen this technique, and am personally not a fan of it, it’s very hard and annoying to unpack. But I know a lot of people use it, and it definitely does keep the chips safe.

I like the modification of using painter’s tape.

I’ve seen this technique, and am personally not a fan of it, it’s very hard and annoying to unpack. But I know a lot of people use it, and it definitely does keep the chips safe.

I like the modification of using painter’s tape.
Yeah, it can definitely be a huge pain to unpack. One extra helpful step is to mark the end of each length of wrap with sharpie so it's easy to spot for the recipient.

Last edited:
Nice! That’s all I look for when I go to swap meets, a chance that I find something no one knows about. What a score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom