Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (12 Viewers)

To be fair I purposely cut down my ES set to 2 racks of $1s and 2 racks of $5s to force more use of colorful higher denoms. Also I hate the $5s.

1669842028928.jpeg

Because big stacks are so much fun. It feels different to win/bet with stacks of 5s vs a few chips.

After winning a big pot and it takes you several hands to properly stack your chips is part of the enjoyment.
Big stacks are fine, I just like the win mine, not buy them. Don’t worry, after I take all your fives I’ll sell them back to you for some 25s so you can feel good again :LOL: :laugh:

To be fair I purposely cut down my ES set to 2 racks of $1s and 2 racks of $5s to force more use of colorful higher denoms. Also I hate the $5s.

View attachment 1031915
Not controversial. I would have loved an ES cash set, but the $5 is an absolute dog relative to the rest of the lineup.

Not controversial. I would have loved an ES cash set, but the $5 is an absolute dog relative to the rest of the lineup.
Couldn’t agree more. I actually sold all 4 of my racks but they got sent back :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: annnd that’s why I started buying CDI98 $5s- initially to replace those ES $5s. 6.5 racks and a full CDI set later...:rolleyes:

And while we’re at it, how are fives somehow the workhorse chip regardless of stakes?

Playing .25/.50? You need 600+ $5s
Playing .50/1? You need 600+ $5s
Playing 1/2? You need 600+ $5s
Playing 2/5? You need 600+ $5s
Completely ridiculous.
"Better to have and not need, than need and not have."

- Hoarders "Future-Proofers"

"I guess I can understand why" what does that mean? Not baiting, just curious.
The gist is basically not having their cash/trade offers fielded for anything short of their new chip acquisitions if someone else has been holding that person's grail chips waiting to use their leverage. It's likely not a frequent thing, but it does happen. Sometimes sharing what you are after can work directly against you, something I personally experienced very early on here. Despite that, I'm transparent about chipping; we have a great community with more people willing to help each other out than not.

(thread revival successful :ninja:)

"Better to have and not need, than need and not have."

- Hoarders "Future-Proofers"

The gist is basically not having their cash/trade offers fielded for anything short of their new chip acquisitions if someone else has been holding that person's grail chips waiting to use their leverage. It's likely not a frequent thing, but it does happen. Sometimes sharing what you are after can work directly against you, something I personally experienced very early on here. Despite that, I'm transparent about chipping; we have a great community with more people willing to help each other out than not.

(thread revival successful :ninja:)
That makes me a user not a hoarder. I get my babies in play!

OMG this. It's like people are allergic to using their $20 or $25 chips. No more than 200 chips of ANY denomination are needed for any single cash table at any stakes.

I know MOAR CHIPS is better, but I prefer a more colorful table with more denoms in play. If you want big stacks, go play limit. Sorry I'm not sorry:)
I’ve actually kind of started to come around to this. I really only have one cash set at the moment, for my .25/.50 game. And in building it, the goal was just to amass as many $5s as possible. I’m up to about 350 or 360. But I’m actually thinking of selling off a few and capping it at 300.
The thinking has always been, well if I play 1/1 or 1/2, I’ll want more $5s. But I’m probably never gonna play 1/1 or 1/2, and isn’t that just really an excuse to buy into the PCF mentality that you can never have enough $5s?

And while we’re at it, how are fives somehow the workhorse chip regardless of stakes?

Playing .25/.50? You need 600+ $5s
Playing .50/1? You need 600+ $5s
Playing 1/2? You need 600+ $5s
Playing 2/5? You need 600+ $5s

Completely ridiculous.

OMG this. It's like people are allergic to using their $20 or $25 chips. No more than 200 chips of ANY denomination are needed for any single cash table at any stakes.

I know MOAR CHIPS is better, but I prefer a more colorful table with more denoms in play. If you want big stacks, go play limit. Sorry I'm not sorry:)
Yeah, I agree but am sorta torn. I like the big stacks but for efficiency (which is always a big thing around here, at least for tourney breakdowns), I pretty much never make any bet using more than 4 chips of the same denom.

Several of my 1/1 - 5/5 sets only have 200 fives. Really, what is this obsession with the fives that we have?

I love 600 chip sets for efficiency, even though I love stacks of chips as much as the next chipper.

Last weekend I picked a 600 chip set for the post tournament cash game that started as one table and became 2. I regretted my choice because I had other sets I could have chosen with more fives, but guess what? It was fine. Had about 12/13 people with 100 fracs / 200 $1s / 200 $5s and then high denoms.

Yes, I had to do some maneuvering to get enough change on each table but it worked out and play was not impeded. Neither was action as about 2 hours in one person stacked have his table in one hand and killed that table, so they consolidated anyway.

TLDR: More fives is better but less is 100% fine and getting big chips in play is fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom