Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (10 Viewers)

Ready?

Shuffling AHEAD of the Dealer is better than behind & you will never change my mind.
ColorfulAdvancedAsp-size_restricted.gif

Giving an opinion in an opinion thread, and presenting it as a base for all opinions to be formed, is an opinion in itself to be the opinion of all opinions.

Therefore, one’s opinion will always be a controversial opinion, given its genesis as an opinion. This, of course is an opinion, which makes it not a base for your opinion, but will present itself as one.

If you have an opinion, about another opinion, and present it not as an opinion, then it is my opinion that your opinion isn’t an opinion at all.

Just my opinion.

Excuse Me What GIF

Last edited:
Giving an opinion in an opinion thread, and presenting it as a base for all opinions to be formed, is an opinion in itself to be the opinion of all opinions.

Therefore, one’s opinion will always be a controversial opinion, given its genesis as an opinion. This, of course is an opinion, which makes it not a base for your opinion, but will present itself as one.

If you have an opinion, about another opinion, and present it not as an opinion, than it is my opinion that your opinion isn’t an opinion at all.

Just my opinion.

Excuse Me What GIF
Yeah it's 2023, pretty sick of so called opinions.

"There's no statistically significant correlation betw-"
"Well, that's your opinion, I have mine."

That's why there is a cut before the deal. (By someone wlse)
NO. Clean up your mess, always!
Didn't say otherwise.
I'm not being a numskull, it's a genuine question.

Shuffle Behind:
When the hand ends, the cards are scooped up by the dealer of that hand. He shuffles everything up, and hands the cards with a cut card on top to the future dealer, two seats to the left. Dealer cuts and deals.

Positive: The cards motion literally moves *once*, from previous dealer to future dealer.
Cons: Dealer cuts his own deck.

Shuffle Ahead:
Dealer of the previous hand scoops up the cards, hands it to dealers ahead. That dealer shuffles everything, hands the deck ahead for a cut and takes the deck back.

Positive: Different person shuffles and deals.
Cons: The cards are moving *three* times, from previous dealer to future dealer to cutter to future dealer.

Let me know if I'm missing something above. Writing it down on paper, it looks like Shuffle Behind is more efficient and should interrupt the following hand less, while Shuffle Ahead is less efficient but cuts out more possibilities for uncouth or cheating issues.

The custom sets that sell or sit and linger have much more to do with the member than the chips.

Custom chips from a tenured well liked member sell quicker and for more, vs a custom set from a newer or lesser known entity.

Of course there may be some trends showcasing the former to have more pleasing customs, but generally I believe the above to have an effect.

We are a “forum” as well, so I get it, but man it would be nice to remove some of the social engineering. We know that if Person A posts widely available chips for the standard cost, their best friends person b, c, and d are all going to post “insane deal!!!!!!!l”.

With a forum full of chip nerds with plenty of time, really weird to not have a resource on hand for all public sales that showcases date/price/condition/etc.

I'm not being a numskull, it's a genuine question.

Shuffle Behind:
When the hand ends, the cards are scooped up by the dealer of that hand. He shuffles everything up, and hands the cards with a cut card on top to the future dealer, two seats to the left. Dealer cuts and deals.

Positive: The cards motion literally moves *once*, from previous dealer to future dealer.
Cons: Dealer cuts his own deck.

Shuffle Ahead:
Dealer of the previous hand scoops up the cards, hands it to dealers ahead. That dealer shuffles everything, hands the deck ahead for a cut and takes the deck back.

Positive: Different person shuffles and deals.
Cons: The cards are moving *three* times, from previous dealer to future dealer to cutter to future dealer.

Let me know if I'm missing something above. Writing it down on paper, it looks like Shuffle Behind is more efficient and should interrupt the following hand less, while Shuffle Ahead is less efficient but cuts out more possibilities for uncouth or cheating issues.
You can add the pro of having a different person shuffle, deal, and cut by having the BB shuffle and then pass the deck to the right to the next dealer.

Shuffle Behind:
We commit the heresy of having the player to the right of the dealer cut the deck, since the one on the left is shuffling, so the dealer doesn't cut his own deck.

You can add the pro of having a different person shuffle, deal, and cut by having the BB shuffle and then pass the deck to the right to the next dealer.
Adding the con of more movement as well.

So end of the day, it looks like a general concensus that one choice is the more safe, protected way, and the other more convenient.

I think one important item to note is what game you’re playing has a HUGE effect.
Hold ‘em? Super easy to cheat, even just a peek at the cards during shuffle will give you huge knowledge. If you have a potential bad actor in this scenario, it’s going to take locking down everything to keep them from any edge or temptation.

Dealers choice? Yeah, good luck. Oh no, little Johnny knows there’s a 2 mid stub or knows that Seat 3 has an 8? Good luck in Scarney or Ultimaton 65 Follow the Bitch double removals knowing where that 2 is. If someone’s trying to actively cheat and angle in our DC home game, first why, second why, third why, and fourth you gone forever when you get caught because you were trying to get the smallest advantage in a flippament, we darn sure can’t have you around for holdem or tourneys.

So end of the day, it looks like a general concensus that one choice is the more safe, protected way, and the other more convenient.
This. Convenience is key for me at a home game. At the stakes I play if people are cheating they need the money way more than I do. I've played around 15 years ahead & about 5 behind. The flow just seems better ahead when done correctly. I won't complain at all shuffling behind but like I originally said I like ahead better & will never* change that view. (You're definitely not the 1st person to argue your case so don't feel bad. *Though if Margot Robbie made it she could probably convince me to do a 180° so maybe I'm a hypocritical liar?)
Screenshot_20220627-074215_Gallery.jpg

Full disclosure I play with a shuffletech and have for years. Partly for the convenience because I think shuffling is archaic and I hate this in front/behind argument but mostly because I think most people suck at it and some people like you are concerned about impropriety. 3 birds with 1 stone.

All this goes away when you buy a Shuffletech. This is the way…
Had to deal for my second table last night, and it’s annoying being accustomed to the shuffletech. I’m good w shuffling cards and we had 2 decks going but it’s still a bit slower and more cumbersome when ur trying to host / make drinks / be social enjoy the evening.

Ordered a cart for my second shuffletech. Second best purchase (shuffletech) for the poker room behind comfortable chairs.

How’d you like it @Cwaters425 ?!?

And I’ll say it again…I’ve never had a complaint of the noise either…

Had to deal for my second table last night, and it’s annoying being accustomed to the shuffletech. I’m good w shuffling cards and we had 2 decks going but it’s still a bit slower and more cumbersome when ur trying to host / make drinks / be social enjoy the evening.

Ordered a cart for my second shuffletech. Second best purchase (shuffletech) for the poker room behind comfortable chairs.

How’d you like it @Cwaters425 ?!?

And I’ll say it again…I’ve never had a complaint of the noise either…
This was my first game w/ @doublebooyah85 (hopefully many more) and I've never seen/used a shuffletech before. Its a total game changer. You get 2, possibly 3x times the amount of hands in. We did have an awesome dealer named Seth! I thought it was very quiet, it did jam up a couple times, I'm pretty sure from the humidity, but a simple fix that took 1 second to clear and it was back to normal. I really feel spoiled because after having that for the tourney last night, I really cant fathom NOT having it again, it just speeds everything up so much. I'm going to start a table build soon and I'm 100% sure going to get one for my table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom